Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What happened to Redmask Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:33 PM

Perhaps one of the more regal minor characters, Redmask was also one of my fav characters (at the time). He sort of reminded one of the Seguleh. So where is he? When the White Face Barghast arrive, they say that the body isnt Redmask's. So where is he, the crowbegotten Awl?
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:40 PM

Nope, that was Redmask. Nobody realized that he was actually a Letherii, stolen by the Awl as a young child. The Factor, Letur Anict I believe, stole Redmask's "sister" (since he was adopted by the Awl, no blood relation; it's also thought that he had a very unbrotherly-like attraction to her, which is why he went berserk to try and get her back) in retaliation for this.

If you remember the elder, the last of the Renfayar, who died in RG, strangled by Redmask - he was killed because he knew the truth of Redmask's origins, and he was the last person alive that knew them. This is a big part of why he always wears the mask, and why he killed the elder - there's no way the Awl would follow him, even with the Kechra, if they found out he was Letherii.

Redmask was pretty much just using the Awl to get back at the Letherii for killing his sister.

This post has been edited by Defiance: 30 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:02 PM

Defiance, on 30 October 2010 - 10:40 PM, said:

Nope, that was Redmask. Nobody realized that he was actually a Letherii, stolen by the Awl as a young child. The Factor, Letur Anict I believe, stole Redmask's "sister" (since he was adopted by the Awl, no blood relation; it's also thought that he had a very unbrotherly-like attraction to her, which is why he went berserk to try and get her back) in retaliation for this.

If you remember the elder, the last of the Renfayar, who died in RG, strangled by Redmask - he was killed because he knew the truth of Redmask's origins, and he was the last person alive that knew them. This is a big part of why he always wears the mask, and why he killed the elder - there's no way the Awl would follow him, even with the Kechra, if they found out he was Letherii.

Redmask was pretty much just using the Awl to get back at the Letherii for killing his sister.

Sorry about that. Actually, I seem to have forgotten where this's mentioned (or is this speculation on your part?). Could you point me towards where this's written? Additionally, he killed the elder because he knew about the fiasco with his sister and not because he was Letherii. Although the existence of the mask may mean your theory is right.
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#4 User is offline   NickO 

• Recruit

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

Otataral Toblakai, on 30 October 2010 - 11:02 PM, said:

Defiance, on 30 October 2010 - 10:40 PM, said:

Sorry about that. Actually, I seem to have forgotten where this's mentioned (or is this speculation on your part?). Could you point me towards where this's written? Additionally, he killed the elder because he knew about the fiasco with his sister and not because he was Letherii. Although the existence of the mask may mean your theory is right.

SE doesn't spoonfeed, rarely explains things word for word and generally expects you to catch onto most of these things as he reveals more and more details.

But it's made pretty obvious... Who else on that battlefield would be wearing a real mask made from matron neck scales?

This post has been edited by NickO: 30 October 2010 - 11:09 PM

#5 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:11 PM

Yes, and the fiasco with his sister was directly related to the fact that he was Letherii.

It's never stated strait up in RG or DoD. However, there's enough evidence to make the assertion that Redmask did die, and he was Letherii. It's the common belief around here.

Some more evidence:

He had thought himself rid of that fool and his cruel secrets, in that weighing look - like a father's regard on a wayward soon, as if nothing the child did could be good enough, could be Awl in the ways of the people they had been and would always be.

Is that not Awl enough? Am I not more Awl than any other among the Renfayar?

He skins the faces of his enemies. From what I can remember, we never see another Awl do this. However, it's something that the Letherii are mentioned as doing near the beginning of the book, in Drene - they have Awl faces and Awl tattoos pinned to their shields. We also see the Letherii skin Toc's face at the end.

This post has been edited by Defiance: 31 October 2010 - 01:22 AM

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

He's the real Redmask. in fact, it's Kilava's denial at the end of RG that confirms it. By then we know that the real redmask was a Letherii adopted by the Awl and exiled (or self-exiled) later. When Kilava finds the body and states that it can't be RM because it's Letherii, not Awl, that's SE actually letting the reader know he was the real thing.

We can conclude that the real Redmask exiled himself to the Wastelands after whatever happened with his Awl sister, there he was taken by the K`chain Che`malle and used by the Matron in an experiment in aspecting humans to KC, by investing him with some of her power and sending him back to his people to see how it went, with Sag Churok and Mach Gunth along as two bodyguards/observers.

In essence, redmask's storyline is a build-up to the KC storyline in DoD, including events around Kalyth, Stormy and Gesler.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Soulessdreamer 

• Fist
  • Location:Hill of Bitter Memories, the City of Sails, in the Land of the Long White Cloud
  • Interests:Sword fighting, HEMA, roleplaying, reading (fantasy and sci fi), weapons and Gaming (PC and Xbox)

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:56 AM

Where's Red?

Red's dead baby, Red's dead.

TTFN
Imagine a world without such souls.
Yes, it should have been harder to do.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users