Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shapeshifting Gods? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:18 PM

I've been confused lately about certain ascendants' apparent ability to shapeshift without having to go through all the D'ivers and Soletaken rituals. For example, in GotM, it says Anomander pretended to be a Seguleh. In DoD, the Elders seem do this sort of thing all the time: Kilmandaros shows up to Errant's summonings as a Tel Akai ("She had taken upon herself the body of a Tel Akai, still towering above them but not quite as massive as before"), and Errant takes particular note of Mael showing up as an old man ("he had an old man's body and an old man's face...") and of Olar Ethil who "...had long ago chosen the body of an Imass woman..."
Draconus also pretends to be an Andii, according to Silchas ("He came to us in the guise of a duke from an outlying border fastness...")

So what's up with this? Who can do this? Why? What, if any, are the limitations on such abilities? For example, if Kilmandaros bred with a normal Tel Akai, would the offspring look like a normal Tel Akai? Do Gods have a "True Form?"

-Blueiron
QBFTW!

#2 User is offline   Seras 

• Wicked Sick
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:MBotF, Anime, Hockey, Strawberry Icecream, Parkour, Piano, Gaming, Music

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

I always assumed they (EGs and other magic-weilders) used Mockra or other magic to create an illusion (e.g Tayschrenn as Standard Bearer, the Rat Catcher's Guild taking on different identities, and so on), while not actually physically transforming into the entity.

As for your examples, Anomander is a Soletaken, so he's free to shift into whatever he wishes. Olar Ethil's form as an Imass Woman likely has something to do with her having a part in the Ritual of Tellan. Draconus' sounds like an illusion "he came to us in the guise of a duke". I'm at a loss as to how to explain Mael's and Kilmandaros' though...

Must needs do a re-read of DoD after finishing MT ;)
Lives and loves, the gamut of existence was marked by such things. A breaking of paths, the ragged, uneven ever-forward stumble. Blood dried, eventually. Turned to dust. The corpses of kings were laid down and sealed in darkness and set away, to be forgotten. Graves were dug for fallen soldiers, vast pits like mouths in the earth, opened in hunger, and all the bodies were tumbled down, each exhaling a last gasp of lime dust. Survivors grieved, for a time, and looked upon empty rooms and empty beds, the scattering of possessions no-one possessed any longer, and wondered what was to come, what would be written anew on the wiped-clean slate. Wondering, how can I go on?

#3 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:56 AM

Good point. I forgot about illusions...

-Blueiron, who is making a note that forgetting about illusions will get him killed.
QBFTW!

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:12 AM

View PostErayle, on 11 October 2010 - 11:24 PM, said:

I always assumed they (EGs and other magic-weilders) used Mockra or other magic to create an illusion (e.g Tayschrenn as Standard Bearer, the Rat Catcher's Guild taking on different identities, and so on), while not actually physically transforming into the entity.

As for your examples, Anomander is a Soletaken, so he's free to shift into whatever he wishes. Olar Ethil's form as an Imass Woman likely has something to do with her having a part in the Ritual of Tellan. Draconus' sounds like an illusion "he came to us in the guise of a duke". I'm at a loss as to how to explain Mael's and Kilmandaros' though...

Must needs do a re-read of DoD after finishing MT ;)

I don't agree at all.

There's a big difference between the a human mage, a soletaken and the power of an Elder God.

A soletaken can not as far as we've seen just choose what ever form he wants when he wants. The only one we've heard of changing his form was what jackal guy I think.

Rake most likely used an illusion when he was pretending to be a human body guard (not a Seguleh). I doubt he veered into a human.

Olar Ethil was an Imass before the ritual of Tellan, in fact as far as I recall she helped fashion the ritual for them.

The Elder Gods, the old old ones, are not a race or a people. They are a manifestation of power. They embody the element that they are associated with, they take on the shape of the worshippers dreams and nightmares.

Maybe they're some Super Tier of Soletaken but I think it is easier to attribute their shape-shifting abilities to the fact that they can do practically anything with their power, including morphing at will.

#5 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

The majority of the people you mentioned here are Elder Gods, they can take whatever form they wish, it is a manifestation of will. Rake never did turn into a Segulah, he just visited them and had to duel loads of them because he wouldn't defer to any of them. He can only turn into a dragon, and any other illusions he may have performed they were just that an illusion
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#6 User is offline   The Tiger of Summer 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Likes:
    Malazan Book of the Fallen
    Wheel of Time
    Paintball
    Zombie Apocalypses
    Melee Weapons Combat
    Groundation (Jah Jah Know), google it...
    Marvel Comics
    Batman and Superman
    Throwing Knives
    Mel Gibson
    Grooveshark
    My Cutlasses

Dislikes:
    World of Warcraft
    Larping
    Vampires (and their Diaries)
    Romance (of any kind)
    Harry Potter (he's a dweeb)
    Elves (and Dwarves)
    Country Music
    Elves Playing Country Music (taylor swift)
  • The True North Strong and Free

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:58 PM

View PostBlueiron, on 11 October 2010 - 09:18 PM, said:

I've been confused lately about certain ascendants' apparent ability to shapeshift without having to go through all the D'ivers and Soletaken rituals. For example, in GotM, it says Anomander pretended to be a Seguleh. In DoD, the Elders seem do this sort of thing all the time: Kilmandaros shows up to Errant's summonings as a Tel Akai ("She had taken upon herself the body of a Tel Akai, still towering above them but not quite as massive as before"), and Errant takes particular note of Mael showing up as an old man ("he had an old man's body and an old man's face...") and of Olar Ethil who "...had long ago chosen the body of an Imass woman..."
Draconus also pretends to be an Andii, according to Silchas ("He came to us in the guise of a duke from an outlying border fastness...")

So what's up with this? Who can do this? Why? What, if any, are the limitations on such abilities? For example, if Kilmandaros bred with a normal Tel Akai, would the offspring look like a normal Tel Akai? Do Gods have a "True Form?"

-Blueiron

...In Gardens of the Moon Anomander pretended to be a Seguleh... - Seguleh are just normal humans wearing masks. Andii look relatively human, so making slight adjustments to his form would have been peanuts... Slap on a mask and let your hair down, its time to mingle.

Bottom line is, any Elder god is going to be able to shapechange. They are ELDER GODS. Assuming a form is just a pleasantry so that they can commune with mortals and the like... Mael takes the form of an old man because thats what he chose, he wanted to be unnoticed and had a specific human drama that he wanted to take part it, and as such choosing a human form would allow him to fit into Letherii society. No point showing up as some towering Water Lord like Poseidon, because then you can't exactly become Tehol's manservant. Bugg is inconspicuous. Olar Ethil is a soletaken dragon, probably female, and at the time of her predominance the Imass were likely the status quo... again, she probably had a role to play at the time, and the Imass body would have been a great way to fit in. Its as simple as that. When you are an all powerful ascendant you can do these things. Like how Draconus summons bhederin out of nowhere for him and Pung to eat in DoD. Or Mael's ability to sustain himself and Tehol cooking things with no nutritional value whatsoever... it looks like dirt going down, probably even tastes like dirt, but when the dirt is cooked by an Elder God, it becomes chicken boullion
'lo there do i see my father. lo there so i see my mother and my sister and my brother. lo do they bid me to come to them and take my place, in the hallowed halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.'

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

View PostTigerOfSummer, on 12 October 2010 - 03:58 PM, said:

...In Gardens of the Moon Anomander pretended to be a Seguleh... - Seguleh are just normal humans wearing masks.

He did? Are you talking about the Fete? Because I thought he wore a dragon mask or something like that.

View PostTigerOfSummer, on 12 October 2010 - 03:58 PM, said:

Andii look relatively human, so making slight adjustments to his form would have been peanuts... Slap on a mask and let your hair down, its time to mingle.

Andii do not look like humans. They are generally a foot taller, their eyes change color, they have midnight black skin, their facial bonestructure is different, On top of that Rake has white hair.

I think he just used Mocra.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 12 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:17 PM

Elder gods can shapeshift however they want. In the course of DoD Kila shifts from something FA'esque to Thelomen. We've seen Mael as Bugg and as a partly blue man. Draconus was Andii and then he wasn't. It's not a question of what warren they used, it's just a question of power and they all have it in abundance. It doesn't matter whether Rake used Mokra or Kuralg Galain or Starvald Demelain to masquerade as a human for years. All that matter is that he has the power to do it. On top of that, we saw Krul send out 'Keruli', who appeared to be more an avatar than an actual shapeshifted body.

Shapeshifting in the soletaken/d'ivers sense is different in that it revolves around a fixed form, with some degree between forms possible as we've seen Rake (DoD flashback), Osserc (RCG prologue) and even Korbal Broach (MoI when QB picthed him thru a wall) do, but that's as far as that goes.

Ryllandaras is a significant exception for a few reasons.

All of which is to say, it's not as simple as Mokra, but that's an option.

- Abyss, has no illusions.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:58 PM

Thanks guys. I kinda thought it was just eldergoddery, but you never know.

@ aptorian: the Anomander thing wasn't at the fête, it was someone talking about the time he went to the seguleh island. I can't find the quote right now, but I think it basically says that since he didn't know about their culture, he just pretended to be human and wore a seguleh-esque mask.

-Blueiron's Dictionary: eldergoddery 1 (v) any action an Elder God can perform because they're Elder Gods, and you're not. All that shapeshifting stuff is just eldergoddery
2 (n) the mess resulting from an Elder God mucking around in the vicinity. Draconus left a swath of eldergoddery in his wake.
QBFTW!

#10 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

the rake v. segulah story comes to us from lady envy in MoI. i think she says he takes a human form
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users