Malazan Empire: Look what the cat dragged in. . . - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Look what the cat dragged in. . . SPOILERS here, tho' Pat is trying to keep them minor... Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:53 PM

View PostCocoreturns, on 08 October 2010 - 07:42 PM, said:

No, sorry Pat, if you really are going to give up the blog, I'm afraid you'll have to forward that to me.

I'll allow you to keep it IF, and ONLY if, you're keeping the blog going. Them's the rules.

Yes, them's ARE indeed the rules. Plus I have to win something before you quit. Actually, since you're rubbing it in our faces like a drunken teabag, I now have to win something TWICE. Or else ... :shocking:

This post has been edited by Sombra: 08 October 2010 - 11:53 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#22 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:19 AM

My god, so much jealousy......
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#23 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:03 AM

Guys,

This is a set of official page proofs coming from the editor-in-chief himself. It's basically the book itself without the cover.

And it's 635 pages from start to finish...

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#24 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:06 AM

View Postpat5150, on 09 October 2010 - 02:03 AM, said:

Guys,

This is a set of official page proofs coming from the editor-in-chief himself. It's basically the book itself without the cover.

And it's 635 pages from start to finish...

Patrick

Can you give us the first word of the first chapter? So not the prologue, since we know that, but just the first word :shocking: (chances are it's just a word like "the" or something, but it might also be a name... ;) )
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#25 User is offline   Kallyfudge 

• Corporal

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

can you send us the whole thing just with everything backwards? Just so we get an idea what the writing will look like?

#26 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

Nope, but no worries. . .

I'll write down spoiler-free updates with my thoughts as I read along. :shocking:

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#27 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

Okay, about 100 pages into Stonewielder, so here's the first update:

Esslemont's narrative skills have improved yet again, and he seems to be finding his voice.

So Greymane and Kyle are laying low in Delanss, where Greymane opened a fighting school. But shit happens, and it seems that Greymane won't get to enjoy the perks of retirement. . .

Someone tries to enter the Deadhouse with a surprising plan in mind. . .

An ex-priest of Fener sets up shop in Banith, but soon finds out that he's disturbing the established order of things. . .

And a new character with Toblakai blood is introduced. . .

There's more, of course, but that's about it for now.

Good start. Good pace. Better writing all around. More promising than Return of the Crimson Guard at this point. . .

Patrick

#28 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

Posted Image

Tell me more...

#29 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

Is Kyle still nancy-boy? I'm just asking for a yes or no, no spoilers of course ;)

This post has been edited by Mcflury: 10 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#30 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:19 AM

Now 217 pages into Stonewielder. . .

As far as the writing is concerned, it is by far Esslemont's best effort.

And now the plot thickens, with a lot of good shit ahead, or so it seems! ;)

Just found out why the Korelri campaign fucked up and seemed to be on a standstill for so long. . .

More soon!

Patrick

#31 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:23 AM

The rage.... it builds!

/Jealousy

Good to hear that Esslemont is continuing to grow as a writer.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#32 User is offline   saint trull 

• Recruit

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:42 AM

yes that is good to hear. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Really interested in the Toblakai blood dude. Also i didn't think that Malaz City was going to be in this novel at all, but i guess the Deadhouse reference makes that a fact. Come on Pat tell us who it is... please.

#33 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:02 AM

i am taking a stand and saying i will not read the spoiler thread.

you heard it here first. i can't ruin this anticipation
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#34 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:31 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 11 October 2010 - 03:02 AM, said:

Just so you know, there will never be anything that gives away a plot point or storyline in the spoiler thread. Just a few bits and pieces about stuff to keep you guys occupied. ;)

The first one is about Greymane's sword. . .

Patrick

#35 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

Finished Book 1 and about 300 pages into Stonewielder.

Very impressed thus far. The book has the potential to be as good as some of Erikson's Malazan offerings!

There is a lot more going on in Korel than we were led to believe. . . ;)

Patrick

#36 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

View Postpat5150, on 11 October 2010 - 03:31 AM, said:

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 11 October 2010 - 03:02 AM, said:

Just so you know, there will never be anything that gives away a plot point or storyline in the spoiler thread. Just a few bits and pieces about stuff to keep you guys occupied. ;)

The first one is about Greymane's sword. . .

Patrick

Curse you! Vile temptress!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#37 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

Can you say anything about major players showing up unexpectedly (either here or in the spoiler thread)? One of my favorite things about RotCG was the number of gods and ascendants who made an appearance. I don't want to know who exactly makes an appearance, just some teasers.

#38 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 11 October 2010 - 07:38 PM, said:

Can you say anything about major players showing up unexpectedly (either here or in the spoiler thread)? One of my favorite things about RotCG was the number of gods and ascendants who made an appearance. I don't want to know who exactly makes an appearance, just some teasers.

Nope, for that would be major spoilers. But there are a number of surprises. And I'm not even at the halfway point yet! ;)

Patrick

#39 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

View Postpat5150, on 11 October 2010 - 06:35 PM, said:

Very impressed thus far. The book has the potential to be as good as some of Erikson's Malazan offerings!

People said that about RotCG too ;p
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#40 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

So you've read RotCG then? Not quite Erikson yet, but a major improvement, in my opinion, over Night of Knives.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users