Malazan Empire: Weird Dialogue - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weird Dialogue Like the topic in MT, but for TB

#1 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:01 AM

Hi folks. Rereading TB and found a section of dialogue that I find strange. I'm not sure why it's said this way... anyone help explain? Page 76, Bantam:

'Something amusing you, High Mage?' Dujek asked as the group approached.
'Welcome, High Fist,' Quick Ben said, straightening, adding a slightly deferential bow to Tayschrenn. 'Colleague...'
Tayschrenn's thin, almost hairless brows rose. 'A field promotion, wasn't it? Well, perhaps long overdue. Nonetheless, I do not believe the Empress has sanctioned that title yet.'
...then QB goes on to explain that he's already masqueraded as a High Mage.

Here's what I don't get.

1) It was Tayschrenn who, in MOI, said something like 'Where's Quick Ben? As of this moment he is a High Mage. That bastard can't hide anymore.' immediately following the assault on Coral.
2) His brows rise - a natural reaction implying that he is not saying this sarcastically or jokingly. If so, why has his opinion changed between books?
3) High Fish Dujek just called him a High Mage. Tayschrenn obviously thinks he should be too. Why would he ever snarkily question what he himself demanded, like, a few MONTHS ago. I'm not sure on the time lapse from the end of MOI to TB maybe a year, maybe less. But not THAT long. Basically both characters just travelled to 7C.
4) The Empress herself must adjudicate over making people High somethings? We saw Keneb become a 'fist' without her around. I'm sure more examples exist. This seems... anal. The Empress is, like, never around. How would anyone be High anything? If ANYONE could give a field promotion, wouldn't it be Dujek?
5) This seems like its in here to A) Have QB outsmart Tay again :) remind readers QB is a High Mage now

Is this something more than I think it is?
Something less? Thanks!

PS: This is a great scene where we finally get to see Bridgeburners relax a bit and enjoy(?) each others' company.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:34 AM

Tayschrenn is just peeved at Quick Ben's usage of the term "colleague," after Quick Ben gives him a small deferential bow. Tayschrenn is king of the hill High Mage. Fist is an inter-armed forces title, and armed forces have inter-promotion. High Mage seems to be a title of the Empire, not the army, like I'd assume First Sword is, and only the Empress can grant it. Each army had a mage-cadre, but they weren't High Mages were they? I think they act in concert with, but outside formal armed-branches in the Malaz military.

Also, you are reading far more into it, but Quick Ben is indeed deserving of the title.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:00 AM

Just seems kinda weird that the last thing we read Tay say to QB is the equivalent of "you're a great mage deserving High Mage status" and then the very next thing we read that he says to him is "hey, don't get cocky - just because I said you're a high mage doesn't mean you're a high mage in my view.' I get that its a peeved and snarky reply due to QB's phrasing of 'colleague' though now. Thanks.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#4 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:09 AM

Yea, I'm with HD. It's just Quick breakin balls, and Tayschrenn trying to reassert himself as top dog (and at this point the only remaining High Mage in the Empire I believe?), and then Quick saying well I'm a sneaky bastard so don't be so cocky.

All in all an interesting and funny exchange.

Edit: @ Tatterdemalion's second post.

Tays also seems to be reminding Quick that there are High Mages, and then there are High Mages

This post has been edited by WhiskeyJackDaniels: 24 September 2010 - 06:10 AM

So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:55 AM

Actually, I think it's Tays being light-hearted for once. It's certainly a "don't be so cocky" remark, but more tongue-in-cheek than scolding or bitterly snarky. He's not actually threatened by QB, and in turn, he's not actually threatening him with rescinding the field promotion. It is, in the end, mutual playful mocking between two self-assured colleagues (in front of a third old hand, who gets it).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:16 PM

the best part of that exchange is dujek saying "well i'd clap my hands together if i had more than one of them."

i mean, that guy is just too cool
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users