Malazan Empire: Anti-Climactic Battles - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anti-Climactic Battles The battles in this book were my least favorite in the series. Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:20 PM

View PostH.D., on 07 September 2010 - 09:34 PM, said:

Tell me you didn't get shivers when "HAIL THE MARINES!" went up and down the line.

Oh hell yes. (paraphrasing...) "We took care of the zappy things soldier. It's all blood and steel from here." Faces grew darker. Jaws relaxed to show teeth....

I think i read that one para like five times in a row.

All the individual heroics around the Marine trench and later as the heavies stood up makes a great juxtaposition of a statement later on by Gesler about how human's didn't know when to get, and if dying was their only choice they'd do it the way they wanted.

I particularly liked Tarr rallying the surviving marines to relieve the heavies, and someone, I forget who, suicide-dumping a sharper down a Nah'ruk breastplate and smacking it. Oh, and while it's all of one line, Skulldeath jumping in is just damn cool. And Hellian charging and puking at the same time. .. and.. and.. and... oh for fuck's sake the whole thing is win.

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 08 September 2010 - 04:35 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 07 September 2010 - 06:49 PM, said:

...re

how did Tool know what it was?

Iirc, he didn't know what it was, just that is was very, very BAD.
Best guess: a few hundred thousand years of experience and whatever residual mojo from being the Imass First sword.

No I'm pretty sure Tool knew what it was. Listen to this exchange with Hetan after the first Barghast clan was suddenly eradicated.

DoD p. 312

'On this day, Barghast blood has been spilled.'.... 'Tool, have we found our enemy?'
The question seemed to startle him. 'Perhaps. But...'
'What?'
'I hope not.'

Seems pretty clear from that exchange that Tool knew what they were gonna hafta go up against.

I don't read that as being so clear but really it's wide open.
Part of the problem is while we know Tool has dealt with undead Che'malle, MoI really suggested that was his first encounter with K'Chain of any sort so why would he recognize Nah'ruk except perhaps in a vague sort of way.

View PostThe Tyrant Lizard, on 08 September 2010 - 09:07 AM, said:

I thought that the ominous clouds that went round scaring the shit out of everyone and killed all them people was that swarm of man eating giant locus talked about in the prologue. must have been half asleep

Those were in the Snake storyline, not the Barghast.

View PostGothos, on 08 September 2010 - 01:52 PM, said:

TBH of all that awesomeness, the obliteration of the Burned Tears felt like a rag-tag swiping away of a failed story element. Like he didn't really know wth to do with them or decided they weren't as cool as it seemed back in HoC and just swept them away in one passage.

The Tears had their crowning moment of awesome when they got pissed off at the Bolkado merchants and proceeded to wipe out several towns and armies. In 'modern' warfare entire companies can be wiped out by artillery fire, so it's not rediculous that the kendryl charge, expecting maybe arrows and javelins on the way in, got roasted by the Nah'ruk crispyzappers. The Bonehunters, barely entrenched, only did slightly better before they had a chance to retaliate.

Anyways, note that even with the Bonehunters' sacrifice, KCCM wouldn't have defeated the short tails if not for Icarium dashing in. It does seem kind of orchestrated at some level.

Sinn and Grub played a role too, but that's convergence for you. Even so, if Iccy and the kid mages hadn't jumped in, when the Skykeeps started blasting Stormy and Gesler started throwing their forces right into the Nah'ruk so the Skykeeps might have wiped out their own army to get at the Che'malle. Not exactly ideal but not a complete loss either.

Fuck i have to go reread those finales again right now...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:02 PM

I doubt the TI ever faced Nahruks, but Tool in particular may very well be aware of their existence. This is a world where folklore has a high likelihood of being rooted in fact, so Tool probably knows there were ancient monsters who had tyrannized the Jaghut, and that there were longtails and shorttails...from Jaghut themselves, or passed down in Imass folklore.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

View PostAbyss, on 08 September 2010 - 02:20 PM, said:

Sinn and Grub played a role too, but that's convergence for you. Even so, if Iccy and the kid mages hadn't jumped in, when the Skykeeps started blasting Stormy and Gesler started throwing their forces right into the Nah'ruk so the Skykeeps might have wiped out their own army to get at the Che'malle. Not exactly ideal but not a complete loss either.

Fuck i have to go reread those finales again right now...

That would still leave the Skykeeps, though.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users