• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Toblakai... semi-spoilers (TTH)

#1 User is offline   KingTeholBeddict 

• A sword (look down)
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

I just started my re-read of Deadhouse Gates, and when I came to when Kalam enters Raraku, and he's talking to Leoman and Karsa.

Leoman says:

The man who now held the Book of the Apocalypse heard the gruff whisper and snorted. 'You fancy no mortal could get that close to you without your hearing him. You tell yourself it must have involved magic. You are wrong. My companion is Toblakai, an escaped slave from the Laederon Plateau of Genabakis. He's seen seventeen summers and personally killed forty-one enemies...'
UK paperbak edition DG p. 200.

Does this mean he is seventeen years old when DG is set?

From what I could understand from my first read of HoC, I thought that Karsa and Company were older when they set out... Also, I thought that ten, twenty years passed between the beggining and the fall of the Whirlwind.

So, I'm also wondering how old Karsa was when he set out?

This post has been edited by KingTeholBeddict: 02 September 2010 - 07:17 PM

"I'm having one of those things... A headache with pictures." An Idea? "Yeah, that's it!"

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

i vaguely recall we rationalized this as Leoman giving the human equivalent of Teblor years, altho the "seventeen summers" wording kind of kills that explanation...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

Early in HoC Karsa says he is eighty years old, which is right at the end of adolescence for the Teblor. Seventeen is also right around the end of adolescence in human terms, so perhaps that is the reason he's described so. Still, weird.

From Kalam delivering the Holy Book to Sha'ik's fall at Raraku is about two years, I think, not twenty.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

Leoman's a liar.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

This is an escaped GotMism from the plains of Laederon and it has taunted over 400 brains...
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

Leoman later expresses to Karsa how little Karsa has spoken of himself and his origins. Karsa probably never told Leoman his precise age, but maybe said sometime that he had just reached "adulthood". Leoman wrongly inferred from this that he was a teenager, forgetting about the years conversion.

Or its just a DGism

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

I think you're essentially right...I can imagine Karsa mentioning something along those lines, bluntly and perhaps more than once, and Leoman is repeating it halfway tongue-in-cheek, purely for his own amusement. He's kinda mocking the way Karsa speaks about himself (like with the precise number of enemies killed), which Kalam wouldn't get and even the reader wouldn't get at that point, but learning about Karsa makes it funnier on re-read.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

Yeah, I remember this being discussed plenty of times before, and I was never sure what to believe. Perhaps he meant Karsa has been with Leoman for 17 years now? As in he's seen seventeen summers in Raraku...that seems like a long time, because Leoman, from what I could tell, didn't seem to have aged much. Plausible though, right?

#9 User is offline   Findarato 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:wildlife, nature, reading, hiking, keeping mantids

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

View PostNequam, on 01 September 2010 - 10:12 PM, said:

Yeah, I remember this being discussed plenty of times before, and I was never sure what to believe. Perhaps he meant Karsa has been with Leoman for 17 years now? As in he's seen seventeen summers in Raraku...that seems like a long time, because Leoman, from what I could tell, didn't seem to have aged much. Plausible though, right?

that would also mean it to take 17 years for Pores, Kindly etc to get to Seven Cities after meeting Karsa in the town where he gets enslaved. and that is unlikely, so I rather would concur with what D'rek said. So to me it is either Leoman has no precise information or he lies.

#10 User is offline   HedgeWalker 

• Topiary Tottering
  • Interests:The complex relationship between underwear volume and personality disposition.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

Uhm - I'm going with the "He intimated that he has just entered adulthood - Leoman is assuming that he's about 17/18" assessment.

I like the thought that Leoman is taking the pi$$ though, fits with the character, and, makes me look forward to re-read joy!

#11 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

The whole Toblakai aging is totally f*cked up. Sometimes it takes them 70 years to enter adulthood, sometimes it takes less TtH SPOILER BLOCKED BY MANAGEMENT
Spoiler
... don't look to closely or it'll stop making sense.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 02 September 2010 - 03:17 PM
Reason for edit: spoilers

#12 User is offline   Quick Bill 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Philosophy, Growing Food, Cooking Food, Eating Food, Anything with Food, Partying, Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Wandering the Streets, Writing, Reading (Fantasy and otherwise).
  • I am obsessed with the MBoTF. How about you?

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

View PostHarvester, on 02 September 2010 - 01:57 PM, said:

The whole Toblakai aging is totally f*cked up. Sometimes it takes them 70 years to enter adulthood, sometimes it takes only 6 to 7 years to become young women (you know what I am talking about, if not... it's rafo)... don't look to closely or it'll stop making sense.

Some people may find these little inconsistencies annoying, but I actually find them interesting. Particularly since I think it points to Erikson's writing method - where he is as much along for the ride as we are. Every little thing wasn't thought out and as such there was a lot of room for creation along the way, for the story to become itself. I think his experience in writing this must have been amazing. And my experience in reading it has been equally amazing, even with the quirks.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 02 September 2010 - 03:18 PM
Reason for edit: REF TO TTH SPOILER REMOVED BY ACT OF MODGOD

"To have dismantled love in order to become capable of loving. To have dismantled one's self in order finally to be alone and meet the true double at the other end of the line. A clandestine passenger on a motionless voyage."
Deleuze and Guattari, Thousand Plateaus p 197

#13 User is offline   Harvester 

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

Toll The Hounds Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 User is offline   Quick Bill 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Philosophy, Growing Food, Cooking Food, Eating Food, Anything with Food, Partying, Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Wandering the Streets, Writing, Reading (Fantasy and otherwise).
  • I am obsessed with the MBoTF. How about you?

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

View PostHarvester, on 02 September 2010 - 03:09 PM, said:

Toll The Hounds Spoiler

Spoiler

That's right. Could you remind me:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Quick Bill: 15 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

"To have dismantled love in order to become capable of loving. To have dismantled one's self in order finally to be alone and meet the true double at the other end of the line. A clandestine passenger on a motionless voyage."
Deleuze and Guattari, Thousand Plateaus p 197

#15 User is offline   Harvester 

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

Spoiler

btw. you should probably put some spoilers tags or people might get pissed off. :)

This post has been edited by Harvester: 02 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

#16 User is offline   KingTeholBeddict 

• A sword (look down)

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:56 PM

View Postansible, on 01 September 2010 - 07:01 PM, said:

Early in HoC Karsa says he is eighty years old, which is right at the end of adolescence for the Teblor. Seventeen is also right around the end of adolescence in human terms, so perhaps that is the reason he's described so. Still, weird.

From Kalam delivering the Holy Book to Sha'ik's fall at Raraku is about two years, I think, not twenty.

Yeah, I realized now that I didn't make this part very clear. I meant to say that, to me, it seemed as if twenty years had passed between when Karsa and the other two left the Uryd Village until the fall of the Whirlwind.
"I'm having one of those things... A headache with pictures." An Idea? "Yeah, that's it!"

#17 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:50 PM

View PostFindarato, on 02 September 2010 - 08:08 AM, said:

View PostNequam, on 01 September 2010 - 10:12 PM, said:

that would also mean it to take 17 years for Pores, Kindly etc to get to Seven Cities after meeting Karsa in the town where he gets enslaved. and that is unlikely, so I rather would concur with what D'rek said. So to me it is either Leoman has no precise information or he lies.

Ah, yes I see. Blast! I'm starting to think this was just a little mistake on Erikson's part.

#18 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:38 AM

WITNESS!
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#19 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

I think the 80 years to adulthood was a little mistake, an idea that Erikson later dropped and ignored. Considering that all of the long-lived races we see seem to grow up as fast as humans (though evidence is scarce). I also have the impression that he has no love for the baby/toddler stage so prefers to skip it completely. Perhaps we found a wish-fulfilment element in these books after all :)

#20 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

It says ealry in HOC that karsa is entering his 18th year of life.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users