• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anomander Rake vs Caladan Brood

#1 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

Who would win in a battle between these two titans? I'd go with Rake, a;though I've only read up until MOI so I haven't seen Brood really in action yet.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

Fight starts. Brood swings his hammer. The World Ends. Burn wins.

#3 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

DO we actually get to se Brood in action later on in the series?

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

That would be a spoiler.
Spoiler

#5 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

Brood has reset button, no match :p And I suppose that battle would be rather thru magic...High Tennes vs Kurald Galain = really dark grass.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#6 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:09 AM

Ulrik, on 29 August 2010 - 06:44 PM, said:

Brood has reset button, no match :p And I suppose that battle would be rather thru magic...High Tennes vs Kurald Galain = really dank grass.

fix'd that for you :p
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

When ever the big ascendants clash for some reason it always seems to be physical clashes, so I don't think it would be decided by a magical exchange. I think it would come down to Broods skill with a warhammer vs Rakes skill with a claymore. Since we've never seen Brood really fight with that Hammer, I don't think we can really judge, but I don't doubt that Brood is an expert fighter with that weapon.

#8 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

well i dont gthink killing burn will fuck up the Tiste Andii as they are after all not of her but of Mother Dark... i mean, how can the death of a godess that havent anything to do with them, destroy them...
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#9 User is offline   Throne of War 

• Renegade
  • Life in every breath.

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

It's Rake 14-7.

#10 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

beru, on 30 August 2010 - 10:22 AM, said:

well i dont gthink killing burn will fuck up the Tiste Andii as they are after all not of her but of Mother Dark... i mean, how can the death of a godess that havent anything to do with them, destroy them...

well if burn awakens and a volcano erupts underneath black coral i think that might affect them a bit. and if the land can't support life anymore that would include them too.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 30 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

- Oscar Levant

#11 User is offline   suresh 

• Recruit

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:55 AM

Reading Deadhouse Gates was like reading history happening...like being at the Peloponnesian Wars with Thucydides or something...just eye-popping reading. Duiker's first person perceptions of the Chain of Dogs were intensely absorbing and emotional and how he conducted himself in the midst of horror and touched those around him; leaving bits of history in his own wake as he recorded history by living it. phew. just blew me away.

Spoiler

truly, the characters are what make this series difficult for some, it's a cast of thousands, hard to follow all the threads and stories at first...but they are also what make this series great....each and everyone is complex, wonderful, and unique.

so...somebody else, go on...tell about your favorites!

MOD EDIT: Spoiler tagged spoilers, removed advertising links (please no adverts in the future)

#12 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

suresh, on 16 September 2010 - 03:55 AM, said:

Reading Deadhouse Gates was like reading history happening...like being at the Peloponnesian Wars with Thucydides or something...just eye-popping reading. Duiker's first person perceptions of the Chain of Dogs were intensely absorbing and emotional and how he conducted himself in the midst of horror and touched those around him; leaving bits of history in his own wake as he recorded history by living it. phew. just blew me away.

Fiddler. Sgt. Strings. as if i didn't already love the guy...the scene in Bonehunters in Braven Tooth's room. that cemented Fiddler as one of my all time favorite characters in literature EVER.

truly, the characters are what make this series difficult for some, it's a cast of thousands, hard to follow all the threads and stories at first...but they are also what make this series great....each and everyone is complex, wonderful, and unique.

so...somebody else, go on...tell about your favorites!

Welcome to the boards Suresh, but if you'd like an answer to your question I'd make a new topic and post it there. Or find an already existing thread that I am sure exists by using the search function...I don't think anyone is going to come into a thread like this looking for a comment like yours, its a bit out of place.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#13 User is offline   nuclearsapper 

• Recruit

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:13 AM

Brood smacks the ground and mountains raise into the sky. I think we know the answer to this question.

#14 User is offline   LordofTheFallen 

• Last King of The Fallen Gods
  • Interests:Leaving flaming bags of Bha'karal poop on the doorsteps of the azath houses.

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

1) Brood and Rake wouldn't ever fight, the risks are quite obvious.
2) if they did, brood hits the ground, Burn awakens, all hell breaks loose and Rake pulls his Andii back into Kurald Galain. So Rake would end up alive, and Brood would probably die one way or another.
"It seems I have stumbled upon another crime in progress"
Tehol held out the chicken by it's scrawny neck, "Here then, we never really expected the ransom in any case."

#15 User is offline   TheSurvivor 

• Captain
  • Interests:Reading and Writing pretty much dominate this section.

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

Everyone seems to be seeing Brood as automatically suicidal if he fought Rake. Why would he awaken Burn right away, maybe if he saw things going badly for himself but even then I don't see it happening? 'I'm going to kill us both on the off chance you'll beat me' does not sound like Brood at all. In my opinion it would be a rather delicate fight, one hit from Dragnipur kills Brood and I'd bet one hit from Burn's Hammer kills Anomander since the freakin' thing makes moutains (or craters, can't remember the scene from MoI perfectly), but in the end, as much as I hate to admit it, Rake would win. They both have frighteningly powerful weapons and we know Rake has some major sorcery and we've been told the same can be said for Brood but I think it would come down to Dragnipur being very 'poisonous.' I chose that word because the slightest scratch means death like a fast infection whereas a grazing blow from Brood's Hammer would not depending on where it hit. I don't doubt it would hurt a lot and many break a few bones and so on but it wouldn't kill if it smashed your hand unlike Dragnipur. Also, I do believe that Rake's weapon has a severe reach advantage. From what I can remember gleaning form my reads I don't believe Burn's Hammer has a long shaft, though it can be argued that if Brood gets inside that radius he will win but that's a heavy risk getting that close all things considered. Someone will probably find a flaw to my logic, whether that be something I overlooked or misinterpreted, but until then.
The world needs hypocrites...unfortunate but true.

#16 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

Being the fan boy that I am, I have to go with Rake. Why?

Because Brood wouldn't wake up Burn. Why would he? Even if Rake and Brood had reason to kill each other, I'm sure Brood would still have trust for Rake and know that Burn's hammer would be in safe hands if he died. They've been friends for a long time, not to mention both of them are incredibly long lived. Brood wouldn't be so shortsighted as to wake up Burn just to win a fight against Rake. We have to remember, both of these guys think in the long term. Even if they did become enemies, there would still be mutual respect for one another, kind of like what exists between Osseric and Rake.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#17 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:56 AM

But the point is Brood doesn't have to wake Burn. He wakes Burn only if he hits the earth with the hammer with particular strength. he can still create mountains and generate earthquake without waking Burn, like he did against Kruppe
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#18 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

Mountains and earthquakes can't do much of anything against a dragon with sorcery. A practitioner of Tennes and D'riss is undoubtedly very powerful against landborne enemies, but there's only so much you can do against someone up in the sky with earth magic.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#19 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

Defiance, on 17 October 2010 - 06:28 PM, said:

Mountains and earthquakes can't do much of anything against a dragon with sorcery. A practitioner of Tennes and D'riss is undoubtedly very powerful against landborne enemies, but there's only so much you can do against someone up in the sky with earth magic.

You can always throw giant rocks up in the air. Even a dragon won't like it if it gets a boulder against his nose...
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#20 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

Defiance, on 17 October 2010 - 06:28 PM, said:

tell that to menandore, sheltatha lore and sukul ankhadu

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users