• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Greetings

#1 User is offline   Rand37 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

Greetings everyone,

I have been lurking on this site for the last week, but decided to introduce myself. Since I am somewhat of a literary scholar (I teach Shakespeare and 20th century American Lit.), I've found these books fit my reading style. I just finished the Gotm book that I picked up this past weekend. (Yes, I read extremely fast) I really enjoyed this book and will look forward to all those to come. What is really great is that SE forces me to do research on the world, characters, plots and themes he expertly pens in his prose. This is right up my alley as it is what I basically do for a living.

This site has been a great resource and I will continue to lurk and pose questions to the experts of this series as I continue on. My goal is to have the nine books finished in a month, then I will go back and reread them prior to the release of the final book. In particular, with a razor sharp focus on his poetry throughout the series. They reveal so much through connecting the dots along the way. Really unique and interesting.

Yes, based on my chosen user name here I have been a WoT fan for a long time. This series will rival or surpass Jordan's WoT world I have a feeling :p

This post has been edited by Rand37: 28 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

#2 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

Rand37 - Welcome to the Forum - careful, you'll fall behind in your work while delving through the goodies here. I know I do all the time.

Erikson's work should be appreciated by any Lit. professional. I would recommend that you slow down your reading speed so that you will grasp all the information and nuances contained within. I learned this the hard way. These books should be savored and enjoyed, and allowed to soak into the brain. You wouldn't swill an expensive and rare beverage, would you? Also, re-reads are essential.

Hey, maybe you could introduce these works to your students. They would owe you one, right?

And yes, MBotF has raised the fantasy bar.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

Welcome!

View PostRand37, on 28 July 2010 - 12:19 PM, said:

... This series will rival or surpass Jordan's WoT world I have a feeling :p

In my world, it already has.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

Greetings everyone,

I have been lurking on this site for the last week, but decided to introduce myself. Since I am somewhat of a literary scholar (I teach Shakespeare and 20th century American Lit.),

greetings. Have you by any chance read Illium and Olympos? Just wondering how the shakespeare reading robot played with a shakesperean scholar?
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#5 User is offline   Braden 

• Creature of Shadow and Ice
  • Interests:Airsoft, Live Role Play, reading, music, family...not actually really in that order.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

(I teach Shakespeare and 20th century American Lit.),

You don’t teach Shakespeare man!! Shakespeare teaches you! :p

Seriously, slow down. You WILL, without question, miss connections as you move through books. I’m currently nearing completion of Midnight Tides and I have to say that the way the books previous to MT are compiled means that you need to fully absorb and remember at least the previous TWO books to fully appreciate the book your currently reading.

It is absurdly intelligent in design. You will read a book and believe that its either “stand alone” or has no connection other than the general world setting in common to the book before it…but then, in the next book a connection appears..appears only by the merest hint and then another tiny piece of the global puzzle falls into place.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users