Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does it get better?

#1 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

I just read Storm Front, and while I thought it was an enjoyable read, it didnt exactly blow my socks off. Does the series get better as it goes or am I in store for more of the same if I continue?

Cheers
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

Book two is better than the first. Book three is better than the previous two combined. Book four really blows up the scale of the series and begins the wild-ride.

There is a fairly fundamental flow of the early Dresden novels, and they are fairly simple. This changes.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

It gets better. MUCH better.

One of the series' strengths is that each book builds on everything that came before, but the flipside of that is that things need to start off relatively mundane to begin with.

I loved the first two books because they were fairly grounded in real-world Chicago. Mysteries with some supernatural elements. A little bland and predictable, maybe, but still enjoyable. But starting with book 3, that "grounding" is quickly jettisoned in favor of more fantastical elements (faeries, vampire courts, wizards' councils, holy Knights, etc.) and the supernatural side of Harry's world starts to take center stage. That honestly turned me off for a little bit, but I came around with book 5, and since that point it's been a nonstop thrill ride.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 27 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

Book one and two are pretty weak. They're okay but nothing special. The third sets things off and from four and onwards the series really comes into its own.

The first few books let Butcher try out some of his ideas. Some of the more weird ones go away, magical potions for one, and the story and character becomes more polished and solid.

#5 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:55 PM

View PostAptorian, on 27 July 2010 - 07:41 PM, said:

Some of the more weird ones go away, magical potions for one

Potions show up again in the last book or two, don't they? And, of course, in each book when he introduces his lab he describes his collection of potion-making materials.

I totally think he (Harry) should make more use of that super-energy potion from book 2.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#6 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

I think each book gets a little better progressively. I've read them all, and think they are quite good.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 27 July 2010 - 07:55 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 27 July 2010 - 07:41 PM, said:

Some of the more weird ones go away, magical potions for one

Potions show up again in the last book or two, don't they? And, of course, in each book when he introduces his lab he describes his collection of potion-making materials.

I totally think he (Harry) should make more use of that super-energy potion from book 2.

A bit too deus ex machina for my taste. It basically allowed Butcher to just think up anything and put it in a bottle.

View PostHiddenOne, on 27 July 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

I think each book gets a little better progressively. I've read them all, and think they are quite good.

I love the series but the awesome seems to be levelling out now.to me. I was not that impressed with Changes and the book before that one was also a bit meh. Hopefully Butcher isn't running out of passion for the series.

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

It is hard to continually top "even more awesome!" every book. I've enjoyed the last 3 more than almost all of them except perhaps Dead Beat.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

I think Changes was the best book in the series, barely nudging out Dead Beat.

It gets much, much better sir.

If you stop reading now, you will hate yourself forever.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 27 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#10 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

With me it's the other way round, I liked the first two, but can't get through book 3. I don't know why...

#11 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:00 PM

Obviously Abyss stole your brain and used it as a temporary fix for his Drescrack addiction.

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

I tend to agree the series skyrockets after book 3. But of the first three, I enjoyed Fool Moon the best. Essentially the first three books are "worldbuilding" for this fantasy Chicago setting, then book 4 explodes into the supernatural world at large, and Jim Butcher has no lack of interesting original ideas. At least so far, as I'm only 8 books in. It does kinda lose some of the detective fiction trappings along the way though, which saddens me but might be a plus for other readers.

This post has been edited by worrywort: 27 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

Cheers guys, you've convinced me to read on. I've ordered Fool Moon already. I'm a bit of a fan of the werewolf genre so it can only be a good thing.
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#14 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

I'm reading them just now, out of order (not deliberately). The later ones are much better. I would even go as far as saying that the first was not really good at all, though "nothing special" might be a nicer way to put it.

I would say the series as a whole still has flaws from what I've got through so far, especially repitition (there little character depth; Murphy will always be described as plucky, prickly and five feet-nothing; Dresden will exhaust his power, then find just a...little...bit...more). Still worth the read though.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users