Malazan Empire: Insanely awesome concepts and ideas from the series - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Insanely awesome concepts and ideas from the series Because there are many. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:51 AM

Right, I've seen a thread on favourite moments, most emotional moments, favourite characters etc. To me a favourite moment is the bit you read that just takes your breath away with awesomeness.

This thread isn't about the moments that get you when you read, it's about the ideas that SE and ICE got during the creation of the world that, after reading all the books thus far, you think back and think "that idea was just insane, in an awesome way." It could be something fairly pedestrian like the idea of moranth munitions or a certain race. and it's probably been done before, but us newer folk like to pipe up now and again :)

The inspiration for this occurred about five minutes ago when I was outside having a ciggie after reading the thread where someone describes the Crippled God as a horrible cliché. And I thought, while generally disagreeing, that the most awesome thing about the CG was being overlooked, which was this:

A collection of powerful beings were pissed at a mortal tyrant. Instead of pissing about with mere armies or even slightly more divine solutions - maybe a plague, perhaps a natural disaster, they decide to rip a fucking God out of another realm and pummel said fucking God right in to the tyrant's face

Well ok, not in to his face, but I liked the way that read. Regardless, I'd love to have been part of the conversation when the fellas came up with that one.

I would very much be interested to hear what ideas from the Malzan series strike you as immensely cool :p
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#2 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

The idea of a friggin Bartender starting an empire (I agree, he was a mage too, but still, a bartender !) which grows during his lifetime to span several continents. Awesome.
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

One thing that comes to mind is the entrapment and exploitation of Rhulad. Deep down he is to me kind of a riff on Gollum, but one that's fantastically original and horrifying (and more than sufficiently distant from Tolkienism). There's tragic villains in all kinds of lit, of course, but Gollum might be my favorite and Rhulad comes closest to recreating those feelings for me.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

the uses of magic, it is that complex that no one understands it properly, we know a lot and enough to understand whats going on, but warrens and paths of warrens and unfound paths and unused warrens, this whole structure is brilliant!!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#5 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:15 AM

In addition to the above, I think the concept of Shield Anvil is something I haven't seen much of anywhere else.
Also, Letheras, which seems like a living fossil, a place in the world where things went unchanged for what, 70 thousand years? Preserving old titles, structure, even the old magic, all with a very modern take on debt-based society.
Another thing - cultural assimilation - of the Teblor, of the Trell, the Awl. Might be just me not reading much, but it seems like there's unusual focus on this.
Finally there's the relationship between Jaghut and Imass. A whole race destroying their sould for an eternal war of genocide against another race? Holy shit. That's something totally insane right there.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#6 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

I think what happened to Icarium in DoD was really genius. I mean various people who are not real but think they are while the real guy thinks of himself as a ghost who follows them.

On a more general note both The T'lann imass and the Forkrul Assail are two interesting races. One that went undead so that they could follow their one purpose i.e wipe an entire race from the face of the planet and the other obsessed with justice order and peace and who think that the best way to have it is to kill everything.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#7 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

I really liked the interaction of Icarium with the Teblor, integrating the concept of genetic cleansing into a fantasy milieu. And, frankly, just the concept of rage as a character, embodied in Icarium. Everytime he's onscreen, he fascinates. I think he's Erikson's finest creation.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#8 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

The other thing that really struck home (and I have a feeling that SE was saying 'whoa' as he wrote it), was the equating of the ascended Bridgeburners with the Imass when that conversation about whether the ascension of an entire company of soliders had any precedent took place.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#9 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

Traveller aka Dassem and his desire to kill the God of death aka Hood!!

#10 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

I liked the idea of tattooing a pattern on people to build a god. :) I like patterns.

#11 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

View PostImperial High Mage Tayschrenn, on 22 July 2010 - 07:36 AM, said:

The idea of a friggin Bartender starting an empire (I agree, he was a mage too, but still, a bartender !) which grows during his lifetime to span several continents. Awesome.

Wasn't Surly a barmaid? That must have been a place that one should always remember to tip well...
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#12 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

I would love to see that bar and Urko as a bouncer.

This post has been edited by Harvester: 22 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

#13 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

how is that different from a shepherd rising to be a saviour/king/god-slayer and so forth.

#14 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

Gesler and Stormy.

Also just the whole plotline of Tool and the Seguleh in MoI. There's a huge freaking war going on and these guys are dueling in the midst of it.

#15 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

View Postharoos, on 22 July 2010 - 03:03 PM, said:

how is that different from a shepherd rising to be a saviour/king/god-slayer and so forth.

that instead of being barely saved from the forces of darkness by a wise sentinel and a mage, he builds his own crew and takes the world on his own terms, and that he's not unwillingly prodded towards it by destiny but by his own iron will and sheer ballsiness.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#16 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

View Postharoos, on 22 July 2010 - 03:03 PM, said:

Because he's a bartender - Not a farmboy with some magic sword,we've had enough of those shining heroes.
...Every tale is a gift,
are easily missed,

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

-T.D. Mengerink-

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

A few off the top of my thinkymeatz...

Dragnipur. The entire concept of Dragnipur.

The Jaghut, a race that use ice ages as weapons.

The Azath as an immune system for the universe.

The Tenescowri.

A cliff-spanning staircase made out of inanimate T'lan Imass.

Greyfrog. He eats brainz.

An Elder God of the seas content to be a mortal's servant because the mortal is the most entertainment he's had in millenia.

A god wiping out its entire priesthood because it didn't like what it was being worshipped into.

Kaelyk.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

A mortal talking a god out of killing him, after she hust wiped out the rest of the priesthood.
...Every tale is a gift,
are easily missed,

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

-T.D. Mengerink-

#19 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

the complexity of the characters and books,
  • how he will create a whole character pov over a certain number of books and then kill him off
  • how he will write about some characters in one book and then competely different characters in another book and then introduce them to each other!!
also abyss, i like what you wrote, especially Mael, the azath and the jaghut!

#20 User is offline   DagOban 

• Recruit

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

Here are a few concepts/ideas I tought we're great:

- Erikson's spin on the Undead (T'Lan Imass)
- Erikson's spin on the Paladin (Iktovian)
- The magic system (Warrens)
- Relations between Gods and their worshippers
- Ascendency
- Dragnipur

There are many more ... I'll add more later

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users