• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hello ME (Malazan Empire)... ...meet the real me

#1 User is offline   Mastodon Empire 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:reading, writing, music, beer

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

Megadeth? Anyone? Sorry, couldn't help it.

So, i'm new, figured i'd introduce myself. I've fallen completely enamored with this series and this would be a cool place to be...as well as gain a better understanding. Plus, until i get my friends hooked on it, there's nobody to converse with in real life about it.

A little background, i had been looking into better fantasy, that's more adult-oriented, with mature/worldly theme's in it. Besides the Narnia books as a child, and being obsessed with Lord of the Rings in high school, I hadn't read much fantasy. Funny, i read more adult books in high school, and since have been looking into more fantasy! After high school (I'm 25 now) I got hooked on Discworld and my best friend suckered me into the Harry Potter thing. And read one of my now favorites, The Once and Future King.

Well, a little over a year ago, i started doing lots of research into what to read. I came across a lot. I discovered, thought, that a lot is just fluff and entertainment. I almost started RA Satvatore but didn't and read the first 3 Jim Butcher Dresden books, but I really wanted something i could get more out of. So, i decided one day that I would either pick up A Game of Thrones or Wizard's First Rule. Not much comparison, but ultimately I made the right decision and got Game of thrones. I flew through that series. (well, the first 4. God knows when that will progress). I had known of Erikson's series for a while and decided to give it a shot. Gardens of the Moon started off slow for me, but once the setting shifted to Darujhistan, i REALLY fell into it. There was a while break after I finished that, I tried some others, like Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana and Rothfuss's Name of the Wind. Neither of those did it for me. Tried Terry Brooks...NOPE (I can be very picky)

I went back and read GOTM again, cause i really wanted to continue the series, but it had been a while. Let's just say, I rushed through it faster the second time, then banged out DH and MOI in a few weeks. Now I'm about 50 pages into HOC and couldn't be happier. I love the world Erikson created and the atmosphere. I love the relevance to our world and grittiness of it. I have my small issues with it (particularly Erikson's lack of physical descriptions of characters) but i'm overall very stoked for it.

This and GRRM's series' are definitely some of the best, most original books i've ever read. GRRM is farting in the wind, so, I'm full on Erikson now. I'm sure I'll read other stuff too. I've heard Wheel of time is good. I can get passed the boring stuff, i've heard it is very well written. Also, Thomas Covenant i heard is good as well. But I digress, I'm more than thrilled and content with Malazan Book of the Fallen.

So, i guess i'm hear to help dig deeper into this world, and maybe on the side, discover/get recommendations for other stuff to read.

I'm done. Hope that wasn't too long!
How much art can you take?

#2 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:34 AM

Welcome from a fellow New Englander.

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:38 AM

That there is a fake you is concerning. Does this bizarro rearviewmirror go by the name frontalvisionwindow?

Welcome!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   Mischiefs' Folly 

• Tanno Spiritwalker
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:39 AM

Welcome. Keep reading it gets better.
Oh, me and my endless folly!

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

There's cool recommendation threads in the Other Literature forum...I know I'm gonna be using them as a resource in the future. But as far as my experience, MBotF is pretty much the best series out there.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Mastodon Empire 

• Recruit
  • Interests:reading, writing, music, beer

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

Yeah, i agree MBotF is pretty much the best.

PS i forgot to mention i also read the first 3 books of Glen Cook's Black Company. Very similar to MBotF, yet much simpler and straight forward. I've put that on the back burner while i commit to Erikson.
How much art can you take?

#7 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

Bienvenue! Enjoy your stay.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#8 User is offline   hmqb 

• The Abyssmal Army's Official Cult Expert and Brainwasher
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

well welcome from a fellow Massachusitian
-

#9 User is offline   NikitaDarkstar 

• Lieutenant

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it. And I agree with Worrywort, MBotF is pretty much as good as it gets. And the lack of physical decription? Honestly, if he were to describe every character in full detail we'd never get anyway, and he does describe them when it's relevant/sneaks details in here and there, but he spends more time on the more important things liek characters reactions, feelings and thoughts, so it's all good to me atleast. :(
Sanity is nothing more than an excuse for being boring.

#10 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

Welcome to the forum.

If you haven't finished reading Butcher's Dresden series, I absolutely recommend that you do. After the 3rd book, the series gets so much better.

Also, I love your profile pic. Coheed is so awesome.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users