Malazan Empire: Question re Other Lit subforums for Other Authors - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question re Other Lit subforums for Other Authors seeking input

#21 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:30 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 June 2010 - 04:50 PM, said:

GGK done since he actually has a new book out so might as well build on that.

yay, now make it visible!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#22 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

Well Simmons had like four threads, which I think was actually more than Bakker. Just going by the numbers in a quick scan, not on the level of discussion within the threads.

The pinned author threads are just an idea, sort of a formalization of the 'malazan forum recommendations' thread. Something to say 'these are the books that Erikson fans in general also like'. Although we could technically just have a pinned poll or something to a similar effect. The point is more maybe that rather than have someone start a new thread after reading the Prince of Nothing Trilogy (since there are a couple with similar titles), have a pinned thread where people can discuss the series. Maybe just for the authors that aren't prolific enough to warrant an entire sub-forum to themselves, but are still popular enough to be discussed on a regular basis.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#23 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

Just pin one thread containing a list of links to various popular "official" author threads in the Other Litterature forum.

#24 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

View PostAptorian, on 21 June 2010 - 05:41 PM, said:

Come on Vengeance we could have an entire thread dedicated to "GRRM is fat" jokes!

That and an entire thread devoted to how much he loves his miniatures.. :D
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#25 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

We could have a Iain Banks forum for both vanilla and M. novels.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 21 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#26 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 21 June 2010 - 09:54 PM, said:

We could have a Iain Banks forum for both vanilla and M. novels.

I don't think that he puts out books often enough. I enjoy reading him... The M. novels are brilliant for the most part.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#27 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

Get rid of the Morgan forum, it's fairly unused. Keep Butcher & Jordan/Sanderson. Simmons, Kay, Cook, Mieville: all of these authors are oft recommended but subject to few threads. Donaldson has had as many threads dedicated to him as I believe Kay or Simmons has. All of these rightfully belong in the general thread topics, I think. Bakker is a possibility, but he also doesn't create many threads. His continuing series makes him more a candidate than Cook or Simmons does to me, though.

Only one other author really deserves a sub-forum at this point, in my opinion: GRRM.

Three threads for Uber-nerds in their realms of dissent
Seven for the Cyber-haters in their anonymity
Nine for the Dork-lords in their underground fortresses of cement
In the land of the interwebs where the readers lie
One Forum to rule them all, One forum to find them
One Forum to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them
In the land of the interwebs where the readers lie.

Dance might be lightyears away. That doesn't mean the arrival isn't talked about more often than everyone else combined. Let's get rid of the clutter and combine them all in a sub-forum, and when Dance comes out, it if does, there will be a sub-forum already created that is Spoiler designated and moderated.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#28 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

View PostH.D., on 24 June 2010 - 06:27 AM, said:

Get rid of the Morgan forum, it's fairly unused. Keep Butcher & Jordan/Sanderson. Simmons, Kay, Cook, Mieville: all of these authors are oft recommended but subject to few threads. Donaldson has had as many threads dedicated to him as I believe Kay or Simmons has. All of these rightfully belong in the general thread topics, I think. Bakker is a possibility, but he also doesn't create many threads. His continuing series makes him more a candidate than Cook or Simmons does to me, though.

We have subforums for each B&KB novella and every SE book, even though there's unlikely to ever be more than 3 threads in Fishin' With Grandma Matchie. I think any of these authors could have more threads that those, so why not have a subforum for them?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#29 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

View PostD, on 24 June 2010 - 04:43 PM, said:

View PostH.D., on 24 June 2010 - 06:27 AM, said:

We have subforums for each B&KB novella and every SE book, even though there's unlikely to ever be more than 3 threads in Fishin' With Grandma Matchie. I think any of these authors could have more threads that those, so why not have a subforum for them?

B&KB are Malazan books. This is a Malazan Site.
Other SE books are by the author of the Malazan books. This is a Malazan Site.
Probable.

It's for aesthetic purposes. I think it's just clutter, honestly.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#30 User is offline   Aooga 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

I for one would really like to see more Dan Simmons love. If he doesn't get enough discussion is because not enough have read his works. And no, the possibility that there are people who have read him and don't like him is not an option. That's just abusing your right to an opinion as far as i'm concerned :p

seriously, the man is one of the most diverse authors out there. Not only that but he's good at it too.
Horror: Song of Kali, Carrion Comfort
Sci Fi - the whole Hyperion fucking Cantos. If that's not enough Olympus and Illium.
Noir - The Hard boiled books
Speuclative history/Horror - The Terror, Drood and The Black Hills.

Simmons has put out consistently good books for a while now. He deserves more exposure and more discussion.

#31 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

View PostAooga, on 26 July 2010 - 09:50 AM, said:

Simmons has put out consistently good books for a while now. He deserves more exposure and more discussion.

Most definitely

#32 User is offline   Slick Mongoose 

• Captain

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

What's the point of the sub-forums? It's not like the other lit forum is particularly busy.
"pseudoscience and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us – then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls. The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." - Carl Sagan

#33 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

UPDATE

Richard Morgan and GGK subforums will be spun back into the general Otherlit forum in due course.

I can't see any other author meritting their own forum at this point.

I'll consider a GRRM subforum but only.... ONLY... when a definitive street date for DANCE is like a week away.

- Abyss, ...no Other.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#34 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

Damnit, I'm sorry to see Morgan lose his prominence.

The Kovacs books are so damned good, along with The Steel Remains. It has been a long time since we've had fresh material though.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#35 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

I don't even remember when The Cold Commands is out.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#36 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 January 2011 - 09:46 PM, said:

The Kovacs books are so damned good, along with The Steel Remains. It has been a long time since we've had fresh material though.

Same here.... not to mention the fact he popped onto these forums after The Steel Remains was released and meddled in discussions on the book. Would be nice if he was able to find the way next time around :w00t:
I think The Cold Commands was scheduled for april 2011, now according to the oh so trustful amazon.co.uk it's october for the hardback.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#37 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

View PostTapper, on 29 January 2011 - 10:05 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 29 January 2011 - 09:46 PM, said:

Same here.... not to mention the fact he popped onto these forums after The Steel Remains was released and meddled in discussions on the book. Would be nice if he was able to find the way next time around :w00t:
I think The Cold Commands was scheduled for april 2011, now according to the oh so trustful amazon.co.uk it's october for the hardback.

i'm a diehard RM fan and will continue to pre-order anything he writes, but the subforum is getting even less activity than the GGK forum. Can't see any reason to clutter the Otherlit forum by leaving it up here. If things change we can always switch back.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users