• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

cool easter egg form RG. Mild NoK spoiler Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

RG is filled with little morsels that I love finding. Last night I discovered Nimander thinking about one of his favorite childhood stories. I am pretty sure it is a shout out to the old man in NoK.. Check it out. Bottom of page 603 , I think, paperback. I love it.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

I just tried looking it up, Nimander doesn't have any passages in or around that page number. I have the big paperback version. Is yours the smaller one?

#3 User is offline   hmqb 

• The Abyssmal Army's Official Cult Expert and Brainwasher
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

I can't find it either. Do you tradeback or paper back, or do you just wanna post it?
-

#4 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

Only Nimander scene in mine close to that is when Clip comes to get Nimander, and there's no mention of childhood stories there...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#5 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

... weird, I seem to remember that scene, but I can't find it, either.

#6 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

madness. I checked when I went home for lunch, its at the bottom of page 603 in the big paper back US version. Sorry books at home so I cant copy it here at work.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#7 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

Its kind of around the inner mopnologue where Nimander is thinking about the "row, row, away from problems" type of thoughts. Lamenting the silanda. Way before Clip comes and gets him.

#8 User is offline   Ozymandiac 

• Captain

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

I've got an electronic version of the Malazan books, which is very useful when looking for half-remembered quotes and for posting long quotes. I think you're refering to this part:

"He remembered a story, the story he always remembered, would ever remember. An old man alone in a small fisher boat. Rowing into the face of a mountain of ice. Oh, he did love that story. The pointless glory of it, the mindless magic - he would grow chilled at the thought, at the vision he conjured of that wondrous, profound and profoundly use¬less scene. Old man, what do you think you are doing? Old man — the ice!"

Unfortunately, I haven't read NoK yet, so I didn't understand the cross-reference. I'll keep this part in mind, though, when I'll start reading NoK.
"Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

#9 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

Sounds right. Not surprising someone associated with Drift Avali would have stories from that part of the ocean as well, I think. If my geography is correct.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:31 PM

That's awesome.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:44 PM

View PostH.D., on 16 June 2010 - 09:12 PM, said:

Sounds right. Not surprising someone associated with Drift Avali would have stories from that part of the ocean as well, I think. If my geography is correct.

Drift Avalii was supposedly out of communcation with Quon Tali since the days of the Emperor, though, wasn't it? So hopefully Nimander learned that story from a bonehunter on the trip to Lether...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#12 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:11 AM

View PostD, on 16 June 2010 - 10:44 PM, said:

Drift Avalii was supposedly out of communcation with Quon Tali since the days of the Emperor, though, wasn't it? So hopefully Nimander learned that story from a bonehunter on the trip to Lether...

Or more likely when he was hanging out on Malaz Isle with Withal and his cousins for awhile?
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#13 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

Thanks Ozymandiac. And Apt, are the US and European versions of the books really that different? Is there no mention of Nimander anywhere near page 603? I thought they would be not exactly the same but close.

#14 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 17 June 2010 - 02:11 AM, said:

View PostD, on 16 June 2010 - 10:44 PM, said:

Or more likely when he was hanging out on Malaz Isle with Withal and his cousins for awhile?

Right :thumbsup:

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#15 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:39 AM

I remember that. Nimander recollecting the old fisher man sailing out to the ice-locked seas in Night of Knives.

I enjoyed Nimander's poetically prosed scenes in Reaper's Gale. They were specially written that way and showed Erikson just doesn't write casual soldier talk all the time. Hood this, and grunting that.
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:45 AM

Really?

I thought that Nimander managed to become all most as annoying as the Mhybe during RG.

#17 User is offline   Ozymandiac 

• Captain

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

View PostAptorian, on 27 June 2010 - 05:45 AM, said:

I thought that Nimander managed to become all most as annoying as the Mhybe during RG.

That's the gravest insult to Nimander possible imh, there was no character throughout MBotF I hated more than the Mhybe. Actually, in any book I ever read.

inb4 people telling which character they hate most
"Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

#18 User is offline   Throne of War 

• Renegade
  • Life in every breath.

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

View PostAptorian, on 27 June 2010 - 05:45 AM, said:

Really?

Agreed. Nimander is to Rake as Raiden is to Solid Snake in MGS.

#19 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

I'd argue that would be Clip, since Nimander improved greatly in TTH.

Then again, I never played MGS4 so maybe.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 27 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#20 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

Then it's agreed. Maybe and Clip: most Hoodable characters made. And Sansa Stark.

:(
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users