Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where did the Errant go after...? Potential DoD Spoilers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

I've searched for this on the boards but found nothing - apologize if this is a commonly debated topic I missed. Also if you haven't read past Book III of DoD, don't read on.

After Draconus returns, the Errant, Kilmandy, and Knuckles are lazing around like they're hungover. Sech then proposes that the Errant use the opportunity to strike at the Master of the Deck, who is probably weak. The Errant agrees and opens a path through Hood's realm. They go through, then Mael shows up to chat it up with the distraught Kilmandy.

Then, the next time we pop in on the three EGs, they're trudging ahead to the OD like that exchange never happened. Did the Errant get pushed back somehow because the warrens were in flux, and they just decided not to address it? Did he have some kind of exchange with Paran?

This post has been edited by Ciceronian: 14 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#2 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:44 AM

simple answer would be that he just wasn't able to find paran, as paran has a better mastery of the warrens and eluded him.

or hoods realm just refused him, spat him back out, because the gate is locked.

thats a good question actually :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 15 June 2010 - 12:44 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:46 AM

I like that idea about not being able to get through Hood's Realm, but I don't remember if there's anything that contradicts that.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:14 AM

it would have been great to have a scene with the errant getting stonewalled by the bridgeburners

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:27 AM

I mean I just checked it again and there's definitely a pretty big gap. It just seems unreasonable to me that no matter WHAT the outcome was, Sechul or the Errant aren't talking/thinking about it the next time we see them. Instead they're just trudging along like nothing happened, Sechy pondering Kilmandy's fists and so forth. Maybe it's something that will resurface in tCG (along with Paran, perhaps) but it still seems kind of ridiculous that they make a try for Hood's Gate to get to the Master and then the next time we see them there's absolutely no acknowledgment that it ever happened. :thumbsup:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#6 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:38 AM

Wasn't he passed out in fetal position after the whole Iccy warrens Vs KCNR ==> new Azath and his eye being used to seal breach?
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#7 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:59 AM

Yes, but prior to that (p. 685) he was positioning himself (along with Kilmandy and Knuckles) above the OD, talking with them about freeing/bargaining with her. Knuckles was the POV. Prior to THAT, he and Knuckles were headed to Hood's realm to seek out Paran (Knuckles suggested to Errastas he would be "bleeding from the ears.")

So in between his departure with Sech and his collapse at the end of the book (which it seems obvious had everything to do with Iccy using his eye to seal the Nah'ruk's gate and nothing to do with his attempt to find Paran) we see him walking, talking, and acting normally, with no indication that anything happened.

The more I think on this, the more perplexing it is. No matter what happened when Errastas went through that gate - running in to Bridgeburners, being denied simply because the warren's were in flux, seeking but not finding Paran, finding Paran and talking, finding Paran and fighting - seems to me that we would've seen or heard SOME after effect when next we saw the EGs walking along.

#8 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:29 AM

now that i remember the scene more fully, isn't it all just a ploy to give mael and killy a chance to talk? i somehow got the feeling that knuckles was just going to manipulate the errant on a pointless errand for awhile, then influence him to return.

both killy and sech seem to be playing errastas like a fiddle

- Oscar Levant

#9 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:46 AM

Sinisdar Toste, on 15 June 2010 - 04:29 AM, said:

now that i remember the scene more fully, isn't it all just a ploy to give mael and killy a chance to talk? i somehow got the feeling that knuckles was just going to manipulate the errant on a pointless errand for awhile, then influence him to return.

both killy and sech seem to be playing errastas like a fiddle

It's clear that Killy and Sech are playing Errastas, but the aim didn't seem to be just to buy Killy time to talk with Mael. The aim is more centered around using him to achieve whatever their own ends are regarding the OD and the coming convergence. Mael understood this, as he made clear when he asked Killy when the knife would strike in the Errant's back. That was my interpretation, at least.

Even if that's true, it still doesn't explain to me why we get two pages from Sech pondering his mother's nature the next time we see them, and absolutely no mention of the fact that (regardless of intention) they attempted to brave Hood's realm. My point is, even if it had all been a ruse, they still went THROUGH with it, and I can't imagine it was completely uneventful... So why is it neglected?

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:58 AM

Whatever happened was offscreen and we'll likely see it in TCG where we'll presumably catch up with Paran. TtH suggested this as well, in that brief scene where Picker communicated with Paran.

I hope.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:16 AM

That's a great point. I wonder if there's gonna be any overlap in time with characters who weren't in DoD. I guess it won't happen that way since it's one novel, but I do hope some non-DoD characters will have POVs, Paran especially, and we get back into his head some.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Well, when Killy told Mael were the Errant went didn't Mael tell her also that with Hood's "death" things were different with the Realm of Death. I presume The Errant tried to get in but failed.

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 15 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#13 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

Maybe it's something that will resurface in tCG (along with Paran, perhaps) but it still seems kind of ridiculous that they make a try for Hood's Gate to get to the Master and then the next time we see them there's absolutely no acknowledgment that it ever happened. Posted Image

you are right, it is strange, but that is exactly how I rememebered it happening....
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users