• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Continuity ICE's work Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:38 AM

Which is what ST is saying. ICE created most of the characters so he didn't have much problems. However Karsa was created by SE and as such it must be done carefully.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#22 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

Why exactly? Karsa isn't more important than say Dassem/Laseen/Tayschreen or Shadowthrone who have been successfully written by both authors.
I'd rather ICE go full-out with how he views Karsa. As long as its not too different to how Karsa was portrayed by SE, it should be fine.

#23 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

I'm certain all ICE's future books will contain a mix of characters previously seen in ICE novels, characters previously seen in SE novels, and brand new characters.

Iron Bars, Silverfox, Karsa, Torvald, Kruppe... I'm confident he can pull them all off just as we'd want them. Sure there might be slight stylistic differences, but nothing majorly different and neither for better nor for worse. I'm especially anxious to see him do the T'lan Imass in the Assail novel.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#24 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:52 PM

Kallor.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#25 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:10 PM

karsa is a complicated character, i just don't want him to blurt out something completely out of character, and am confident that between the two of them, they will keep this from happening.

@Silencer - agree and like the italic effect
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#26 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Lack of continuity would put a dent in the credibility of ICE because, although he has credit for his contributions, the main body of work is from SE. Also, the quality would drop, and all forumites would rebel, if people were appearing that died in other books, changes in history, city names, whatever. I think a world this huge could handle some work on the other side of the globe to avoid all exisiting characters, but we love the ones we've already got. (Besides you can't take Malazan out of the MBotF, right?)
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#27 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 01 July 2010 - 05:58 PM, said:

Lack of continuity would put a dent in the credibility of ICE because, although he has credit for his contributions, the main body of work is from SE. Also, the quality would drop, and all forumites would rebel, if people were appearing that died in other books, changes in history, city names, whatever. I think a world this huge could handle some work on the other side of the globe to avoid all exisiting characters, but we love the ones we've already got. (Besides you can't take Malazan out of the MBotF, right?)

That wasn't the continuity I meant when I made this topic. I was wondering if ICE's books were going to be following one overaching plot-line, or if they were all going to be individual novels for the most part.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#28 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

I hope they will be stand alone novels (with some recurring characters), that would provide ICE with some narrative freedom.

#29 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

Given that we already have 2 of the books, a peek at the third, and knowing something about the upcoming ones, it seems fairly safe to guess that they'll be mostly standalone-ish, but with a few common threads and recurring plotlines/characters.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#30 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

I think the 5 books will loosely be based around Kyle, the 3 from Assail and Greymane. Prologue seems a lot more promising than RotCG, which seeminlgy enabled badass characters to turn somewhat lame.
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#31 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

Well, the prologue of RCG also promised unseen levels of awesome. Look what that got us.

That said, the prologue for Stonewielder seems a lot more "Eriksonian" in its structure.

#32 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

In MoI we have Kallor obliterating his empire and Pannion and what's-her-tusk getting chucked into the rift, in MT we have Silchas getting betrayed, in RG we have Bloodeye getting curb-smashed and in ROTCG we have Osserc blowing an Azath to smithereens. So all of the prologues set in the Elder times have been totally badass, but it's not really something to judge a book by. Of those books (barring MoI) you would be fair to say a lot of people have problems with at least one of them.

This one looks very promising in the way it was written though, very sharp. Yet I for one am hoping to whatever gods there are that Kyle does not play a huge role in multiple books. I mean, I loved ROTCG, but I was not a fan of Kyle.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#33 User is offline   eiji 

• Corporal

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

cutter hasnt played a huge role. i dont see kyle having a massive part either. i hope ICE dosnt try and keep a huge arc. i like the idea that he will just flit in and out filling in sdome of the detail SE has just breezed past.

i definatly want a new malazan conquest, they cant lose more ground

#34 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 01 July 2010 - 08:41 PM, said:

That wasn't the continuity I meant when I made this topic. I was wondering if ICE's books were going to be following one overaching plot-line, or if they were all going to be individual novels for the most part.

Apologies, WJD. I think individual works appeal more to me.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#35 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:20 AM

It's probable that Kyle is just the cypher for the reader.

Quite a common fantasy meme.

#36 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

People are asking if there'll be continuity between Crimson and Stone but isn't that a given?

The Imperial Renegade is called Stonewielder. He's had contact with the Riders, who made a move on Shadow House and are the underlining theme in the parallel series. Iron Bars captive there.

It's a given.
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#37 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

View PostExcellence, on 11 July 2010 - 11:24 AM, said:

People are asking if there'll be continuity between Crimson and Stone but isn't that a given?

The Imperial Renegade is called Stonewielder. He's had contact with the Riders, who made a move on Shadow House and are the underlining theme in the parallel series. Iron Bars captive there.

It's a given.

I'm regretting using this thread title...

The original point of the thread was to ask if there was going to be one clear interwoven plot-line throughout all of ICE's books, or if they are a series of related, but interconnected novels. Considering they are all being set on different continents the latter seemed more likely, but SW seems like it might follow directly from RotCG, so I figured I'd as and find out if ICE has ever mentioned his plan in an interview.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users