Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Because I'm a Rebel Introduction Thread

#1 User is offline   mojojojo 

• Sleepy Tyrant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:50 AM

Because I'm a rebel (or just don't follow instructions too well) I skipped straight to Gardens of the Moon first instead of introducing myself here first. I registered this week, I am a Fantasy Geek, and I am zipping through my first read of GoM. I'm almost at the end and I can't wait to get into the series. I started mainly because I'm still waiting for the next installment of GRRM's ASOIAF to come out and I figured there's enough books here to keep me busy for awhile. It was either Erikson or Wheel of Time, and although I have to admit I loved the 3rd book in the WoT series, I'm glad I'm reading this instead.

Hope to get to know you all, everyone here is very cool!

~Joanna

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:15 AM

Welcome to the board!

There isn't really a protocol for new members, per se. The "New Members Start Here" section is fairly new itself, but it seems to be working like a charm. Great to have you on board. While waiting for Dance, and after finishing MBotF (once or twice :laughing:), the Other Literature section has tons of recommendations for other Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Literature to read as well.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

And by the time you get through SE's MEMORIES OF ICE, WoT and SIF will seem like bad dreams from long, long ago... :D

Kidding. Welcome.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:13 PM

Abyss said it right. Also, you may want to skip Goodkind's version of the WoT series, Sword of Crap.

There should be a disclaimer on each Malazan cover "WARNING Don't waste your time on other fantasy, for you shall only need one bookshelf henceforth"

OK, I exaggerate, but many authors I used to enjoy have somehow paled after reading MBotF. On a brighter note, it preserves funding to import these costly UK books which some lucky dogs have finished long before we ever see them.

This post has been edited by HiddenOne: 08 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#5 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:19 PM

Funny how I totally hated the 3rd Waste of Time book. Good thing you're trying this one out now.

And now, be sure you have tonnes of time for this.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#6 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

Pfft. If you're waiting for the next GRRM book, you HAVE tons of time! So enjoy!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 User is offline   Mark the Younger 

• Recruit
  • Interests:I read, write, ride my Harley, and am a "full time student". I am looking for a decent place to study Martial arts, but those don't seem to exsist within fifty miles of my home.

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

This series has more scope than WoT and manages to keep you hooked. The lulls are tolerable and sometimes a welcome shift after sprinting through several hundred pages.
Mark the Younger
Squad Healer

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users