Malazan Empire: I have noticed a shocking lack of love and respect lack of love and respect for a certain character on here... - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I have noticed a shocking lack of love and respect lack of love and respect for a certain character on here... Seriously. Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   anothevilbadguy 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:43 AM

Tatterdemalion, on 07 June 2010 - 04:33 AM, said:

If people dislike Hedge, I would venture it is less to do with his Hedge-ness and more to do with the fact that sometimes people wish that characters who die stay dead. I thought as much of him as Fiddler, and when he died it sucked. But then once he popped back, showing up save Fiddler in book 4 or 6 (I forget), he's a ghost character without a particularly good reason for why he's not with the rest of the BB.

He's funny.

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

Tatterdemalion, on 07 June 2010 - 04:33 AM, said:

If people dislike Hedge... he's a ghost character without a particularly good reason for why he's not with the rest of the BB.

Actually, there are a few reasons. First off, the Undead/Ascended BBs were already active in Raraku, having taken out various Whirlwind rebels and saved Kalam the night before. Second, Hedge later told Fid that couldn't die yet becase Fid had to take the BBs 'all the way to the end'. So Hedge had every reason to be acting all Ghostly guardian to Fid, and just for good measure, Fid was the conduit for the Tanno's song that ascneded the BBs, which might be another reason for them to be looking out for him.

If your point is that Hedge shouldn't have been wandering around when all the other BBs seem to be 'stuck', together and serving Hood/Death/Whatever, then i'd suggest that when Paran summoned Hedge and took him along on the journey with the TTG, he stretched that link, and the TTG carriage had a weird effect on ghosts as well.

All of which is to say, Hedge's return, as a ghost and as a living person, didn't 'just happen'.

- Abyss, ...then again maybe he's a cylon...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:27 AM

Maybe.

But it might have felt, to the casual reader, like they just threw the character back into the mix. He's one of the first 'revivals' the series has and I for one generally don't like revivals. In SE's world, hell yeah I can dig revivals, the world's friggin' amazing - but in most other stories I cannot as it always seems too set up. So with me, it's less of a technical reason why he can't be there and more of a general subliminal reasoning as to why it might push your buttons. Remember too: my comment was saying "IF people don't like Hedge..." providing explanation for such folks. I am not one of them. Well, maybe a little. But my argument is still valid extraneous to my beliefs!

Another reason a casual reader might not like Hedge is that at first he seems to be a lot like Fiddler (until Fiddler gets 500 pages of face time). I think when I read through originally I never cared for him much because I preferred Fid and felt they were similar enough Hedge could go and not be missed.

My points generally are just to bend an understanding as to why some people might not take to Hedge as much, not to make an argument thus.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#24 User is offline   Lucky Revenant 

• Corporal

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

Also keep in mind that some of Fiddler's awesome only exists because of Hedge. Need I remind you of The Drum?

#25 User is offline   Rath Orlong 

• Recruit

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:14 AM

if people dislike Hedge, I would venture it is less to do with his Hedge-ness and more to do with the fact that sometimes people wish that characters who die stay dead.

I think the only reason SE brought Hedge back was so that we could get a glimpse of Hood's frozen corpse. He did it just to set up the last scene of DoD, Hood coming back into his real body. Insane merriment by the punitive army (14 strong) of the Jaghut.

That begs another question. What is the penance that Hood seeks from his comrads? More accurately, why does he seek penance? That would be a good thread to explore. Maybe I'll start one.

This post has been edited by Rud Ellale: 21 June 2010 - 03:17 AM

#26 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

Aptorian, on 03 June 2010 - 08:00 AM, said:

I loved the scene where he kicks the shit out of the heavy. It sort of displays the ruthlessness of the old BBs. They don't take no crap.

I was a bit disappointed that he just turned vanilla mortal after RG though. He could at least have been half ascended or something, like Gesler and Stormy.

Just read that today. Hedge is a fully-fledged badass, uh-huh.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#27 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

The ongoing status of this thread and recognition of the Awesomeness of Hedge has restored my faith in humanity. Thanks all.

Hedge <3
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#28 User is offline   Juss 

• Recruit

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

Abyss, on 03 June 2010 - 05:44 PM, said:

- Abyss, also notes Hedge was a pimp.

I can't recall that :)

#29 User is offline   eiji 

• Corporal

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

Kanubis, on 12 July 2010 - 10:48 AM, said:

The ongoing status of this thread and recognition of the Awesomeness of Hedge has restored my faith in humanity. Thanks all.

Hedge <3

long live undead hedge...erm that make sense?

#30 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:42 AM

Juss, on 12 July 2010 - 10:58 AM, said:

I can't recall that :)

Unless I remember incorrectly, I believe the two rubenesque beauties that were recruited into Hedge's resurrected Bridgeburners continued to practice their previous occupation with customers amongst the Bonehunters.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#31 User is offline   Calm Bringer Of Peace 

• Recruit

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

Just read this thread and I also have got some manlove for Hedge.
He is sapper of all sappers. To include fid.
Don't forget he also blew up a dragon and I thought it was the weird jhag underworld or the realm gothos setup for the tlan imass that returned hedge to flesh. Does anyone know for sure?

#32 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

Everything the OP says is true, and the only reason Hedge isn't my favourite Bridgeburner is because Fiddler is.

He put a cusser into Raest.

Detoran, arguably the most dangerous BB in close combat, wanted to jump his bones in all kinds of ways.

He blew himself up taking out an undead Kell to save his squad.

And then he came back from the dead just because he didn't feel like staying dead. Okay, i realize that's not what happened but it summarizes what happened!

FFS the man took Letherii alchemical dabbling and made his own munitions. The Moranth have had a monopoly on that forever and Hedge broke it because he was pissed off and bored. He formed the new BBs for the same reason.

Taking out the heavy was the first time we saw him get into hand to hand (as opposed to launching/throwing cussers) and it was priceless.

And the finale...

"Okay Bridgeburners, we're gonna support Quick Ben!"
*things go BOOM*
"Okay, fuck that, everyone down and play dead."
*Letherii army and KN march up*
"Okay, everyone up, throw blues... NOW RUN LIKE FUCK."

...how does anyone NOT love this character?

thanks for the dialogue, its been a few months :p any others?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#33 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

he aint with the rest of the bridgeburners because Paran went into that realm, "the jaghut realm"??, and asked for help didn't he? out of all the bridgeburners it was hedge that stepped up!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#34 User is offline   GingerBreadMan 

• High Fist

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:42 AM

Tattersail, on 02 August 2010 - 03:47 PM, said:

he aint with the rest of the bridgeburners because Paran went into that realm, "the jaghut realm"??, and asked for help didn't he? out of all the bridgeburners it was hedge that stepped up!

No I think that was Raraku's "history" or it's own warren of death?

I do agree with the awesomeness of Hedge, especially the way he rebuilds their munitions(and seems to do pretty well) when everyone else just throws in the towel.

The way Fiddler reacts is just mean, I understand you thought he was dead and moved on..but he was still your best friend so why the cold shoulder?

He is back, accept it and tag team people again

#35 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

GingerBreadMan, on 03 August 2010 - 05:42 AM, said:

...The way Fiddler reacts is just mean, I understand you thought he was dead and moved on..but he was still your best friend so why the cold shoulder?
He is back, accept it and tag team people again

because death has consequences and 'i got better' isn't necessarily a acceptable excuse for everyone.

- Abyss, excempts the entire x-men lineup from that statement.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users