Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Fallen Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:49 AM

The Malazan Book of the Fallen at its surface seems to refer to those who fall in battle, especially those in the Malazan imperial army. But to how many other strands of the story can the title be applied? And what may it hint at?

There's the Bridgeburners in particular, who fell at Pale and at Coral, and yet experienced something pretty extraordinary in their group ascension.
There's the army of the dead who fight inside Dragnipur, and the dead inside Hood's Realm. Plenty of the dead show a surprising amount of agency, and interest in the affairs of the world(s).
There's the individual heroes and villains who have fallen along the way, like Trull, and Itkovian, and Beak, and Felisin, and Coltaine, and Duiker, and Kalam, and Pearl, and Murillio, Redmask, Rhulad, Toc the Younger, and in a way, Tool. The Bonehunters. There's definitely a strong elegiac, tragic aspect to the title.
There's the fall of civilizations, the First Empires, Kallor's empire. There's Kallor himself, a high king fallen from grace. The Malazan Empire itself has fallen from its heights, and perhaps continues to do so. The Old Guard have certainly fallen by the wayside. And what of Lether and Kolanse?
And speaking of falls from grace, Anomander Rake and the Tiste Andii, who've fallen in the eyes of Mother Dark. There are apparent parallels in the Tiste Liosan despite their haughty demeanor, and the Tiste Edur perhaps worst of all. At least the most demeaning.
There's the races of Wu who each have fallen to their successors. Look how far the KCCM and Jaghut have fallen, despite their respective technological genius. Not to mention the TTT, who've been windblown, scattered, and diluted. Karsa understands how far they've fallen.
The T'lan Imass have similarly fallen, but in their own way, and by their own choice. They've fallen away from their humanity. One might say the same for some of the Crimson Guard.
There's the fall of the Elder Gods to their upstart replacements, and some of them haven't taken so kindly to this. Mael has set up his own museum to fallen gods. Who knows what Olar Ethil has done to herself. Fener isn't Elder, but he was pulled down just as well.
The Dragons, of course, are few and far between these days. Tiam has fallen time and again, and is currently a missing piece on the board. Many are dead, or somehow trapped upon the earth. A pretty awful fall for such (traditionally) majestic high fliers.
Kellanved and Dancer literally fell from a tower in their plans for ascension.
The jade statues have fallen to earth.
And of course the fallen one himself, the Crippled God.

The name is just apt beyond measure, I've found. What do you think? Does it encompass any or all of these things? Did I miss anything, subtle or obvious?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:02 AM

Well the obvious would be that, as far as I recall, the name "Book of the Fallen" is borrowed from a similar book, a record of fallen soldiers that Napoleon kept.

#3 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

I always thought it came from a the Book of the Dead from WW2. The name suggests it's a list of Malazan CoW, but it might have something to do with the Fallen God.
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

Well, I do think it's meant to be taken pretty directly like that, at least initially, but I also think there is more to it than that. The meaning of the title expands with every story told (and the wrinkles in history), and I think even some of the punning and double-meaning on "fallen" is deliberate (especially as it relates to Rake, the EGs, the BBs, ST/Cots, and The Crippled God). That bit of info about Napoleon is cool though, I hadn't heard that before.

#5 User is offline   Hood's Legacy 

• Weilder of the Abysmal Blade
  • Interests:High fantasy, warcraft, starcraft, good FPS', manga, anime
  • Power Beckons!!!!!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

View Postworrywort, on 03 June 2010 - 09:07 AM, said:

Well, I do think it's meant to be taken pretty directly like that, at least initially, but I also think there is more to it than that. The meaning of the title expands with every story told (and the wrinkles in history), and I think even some of the punning and double-meaning on "fallen" is deliberate (especially as it relates to Rake, the EGs, the BBs, ST/Cots, and The Crippled God). That bit of info about Napoleon is cool though, I hadn't heard that before.

Thanks to Apt, for the Napolean part. However, more than war records, I would go with what Worry's stating.. It seems that SE is referring to cultures and civilisations that have fallen (as in history). I look at the books as a fantasy re-imagining of our (the human race's history) as I see many similarities in the events in SE's and in history books. The entire series could be more like an History textbook (though SE speaks about more than just History in his books).

#6 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

View Postworrywort, on 03 June 2010 - 06:49 AM, said:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen at its surface seems to refer to those who fall in battle, especially those in the Malazan imperial army. But to how many other strands of the story can the title be applied? And what may it hint at?

There's the Bridgeburners in particular, who fell at Pale and at Coral, and yet experienced something pretty extraordinary in their group ascension.
There's the army of the dead who fight inside Dragnipur, and the dead inside Hood's Realm. Plenty of the dead show a surprising amount of agency, and interest in the affairs of the world(s).
There's the individual heroes and villains who have fallen along the way, like Trull, and Itkovian, and Beak, and Felisin, and Coltaine, and Duiker, and Kalam, and Pearl, and Murillio, Redmask, Rhulad, Toc the Younger, and in a way, Tool. The Bonehunters. There's definitely a strong elegiac, tragic aspect to the title.
There's the fall of civilizations, the First Empires, Kallor's empire. There's Kallor himself, a high king fallen from grace. The Malazan Empire itself has fallen from its heights, and perhaps continues to do so. The Old Guard have certainly fallen by the wayside. And what of Lether and Kolanse?
And speaking of falls from grace, Anomander Rake and the Tiste Andii, who've fallen in the eyes of Mother Dark. There are apparent parallels in the Tiste Liosan despite their haughty demeanor, and the Tiste Edur perhaps worst of all. At least the most demeaning.
There's the races of Wu who each have fallen to their successors. Look how far the KCCM and Jaghut have fallen, despite their respective technological genius. Not to mention the TTT, who've been windblown, scattered, and diluted. Karsa understands how far they've fallen.
The T'lan Imass have similarly fallen, but in their own way, and by their own choice. They've fallen away from their humanity. One might say the same for some of the Crimson Guard.
There's the fall of the Elder Gods to their upstart replacements, and some of them haven't taken so kindly to this. Mael has set up his own museum to fallen gods. Who knows what Olar Ethil has done to herself. Fener isn't Elder, but he was pulled down just as well.
The Dragons, of course, are few and far between these days. Tiam has fallen time and again, and is currently a missing piece on the board. Many are dead, or somehow trapped upon the earth. A pretty awful fall for such (traditionally) majestic high fliers.
Kellanved and Dancer literally fell from a tower in their plans for ascension.
The jade statues have fallen to earth.
And of course the fallen one himself, the Crippled God.

The name is just apt beyond measure, I've found. What do you think? Does it encompass any or all of these things? Did I miss anything, subtle or obvious?

i always assumed the fallen refered to the crippled god.
i know the first book starts with a poem dedicated to the fallen malazan soldiers, but the CG is the only one repeatedly refered to as THE FALLEN ONE.
but i like ambiguity.

#7 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

IMO, fallen firtly referred to fallen soldiers, but in series, so far, it reaches beyond...for me is fall of cultures or civilisations pretty strong motive in MBoF and is equal to importancy of fallen soldiers, many nameless ones, or named ones.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#8 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:44 AM

Death death everywhere! Aaahhhh! Yea, i always figured it referred to TCG, but i really liked the original post. Fallen referring to everything is pretty apt in my estimate. Could throw in Hood, for good measure. The great thing about this series though, at least in reference to "Fallen" theme, is the Ascensions to complement it. (i need to start smoking again!)

#9 User is offline   Tyrant 

• You shall reap it

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

Whilst I'm sure allusions to military casualty lists and the Crippled God would not be admonished by Erikson and they could both fit quite nicely, I think 'Malazan Book of the Fallen' is quite simply a poignant reminder, or indeed a warning, that ultimately these books are about loss and sacrifice and that the overarching theme is one of WAR; war between nations and civilisations, between good and evil, mortals and Gods, light and dark...and that with war there comes the one inescapable truth; that people will die, that characters of strength and fortitude, of courage and valour will fall, for that is the nature of war.

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

I don't disagree with that, but I think there's decidedly more to the word "fallen" than relates to mere death. I do appreciate that you mention good and evil; even as SE presents a vast grey area, I don't think he's abandoned the notions of "good" and "evil" all together. But it's acts that are good and evil, and people who choose and/or succumb. A lot of characters in this story fall long before they die, or fall without dying at all. On SE's latest blog post he said the story was about compassion, and I think that rings true in just about every storyline. From the Imass to the Jaghut, from Whiskeyjack to Kallor, from Trull to Rhulad. War is hell, vengeance is stupid, power corrupts, and when the worst is brought out of you, you are damaged, even if you're victorious. Nobody's born a monster, but monstrous acts do create monsters out of people (eg the Pannion Seer, Anaster, Dassem). That doesn't mean you tolerate tyrants, but you can feel compassion even as you stop them. I mentioned some who've fallen morally, so to speak, in the OP, but Itkovian and Beak are some of the major keys to what SE is getting at, I think, for those who've died without falling.

#11 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

maybe how the fallen inspire those that are left standing? this could be simple, but we know it is not. it is to vast and complex for a simple answer.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

Yah, I like that idea.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users