• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So where is Icarium? - DoD spoilers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sullen 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:50 AM

Soooo, with nothing but an empty throne (barring an embedded Errant's eye) in Kalse uprooted, what do we think happened to Icarium? Teleported to another place or vaporised?

I'd hate to think that he's a goner, though it would be a heroic death almost on a par with Rakes.

This post has been edited by Sullen: 28 May 2010 - 01:52 AM

<Insert witty quote here>

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:24 AM

I don't think he's a goner nor do I think he's trapped in the new Azath, but I can't exactly tell you why. Just a hunch. On the other hand, if he is in that massive monstrous Azath, and he's the host body of all the new warrens, perhaps that would be enough to stabilize them and keep them safe...untouchable by others, as opposed to K'rul who is seemingly pretty vulnerable to all contenders. So he might not want to come out, even if he's not exactly trapped. Not that I think he's scared of anyone, but he might feel responsible. I kinda think Mappo will find his way in though and they'll get married and spend all of eternity in gayzath heaven.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:38 AM

The way I was reading the ending, it sounded like controlling the Sky Keep and closing the rift was tearing Icarium apart or draining his soul or something. I think Icariums souls was used up by the end, making him into nothing, like the fate of Anomander Rake.

But then again, this is the MBotF. Nothing dies. Maybe he simply turned into an Azath. It could also be that he turns into some kind of Mocra entity within this new warren system.

#4 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:54 AM

He (icarium) definately isnt the reason why the machine was found empty and on genebackis in Toll the Hounds?

I like the idea of him being a Krul like figure. Maybe a blood sacrifice in one of his warrens would bring him back to "life." Maybe he will be able to roam around as long as the warrens he made are around.

I like the idea of him being a Mockra like entity but I cant imagine that being a good literary ending for the whole icarium and mappo storyline, but then again maybe SE will blow me away. I have hope for Icarium at least not being "crazy" anymore.

Sincerely
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#5 User is offline   Sullen 

• Recruit

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

Gayzath heaven. Love it! I'm thinking that the Errants eye was the power source for the Azath, so whatever happened to Iccy didn't destroy him, could just be wishful thinking. I do like the idea of him being another K'rul as well though...
<Insert witty quote here>

#6 User is offline   onehitwunder 

• Corporal

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

I think in the end of the storyline in DoD it makes it clear its the errant who is the one the azath takes. And now its obvious that icarium is way more badass then most gods since he pwnd more shit then even a matron, and its stated they beggared the gods of this day. Also don't forget they fended off elder gods back in the day for awhile. So couple iccy's old badassery with being a new krul. The azath has no chance of containing icarium

#7 User is offline   Baco Xpuch 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, UFC, and being a father.

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

Gayzath. Priceless. So Mappo's gaydar at the end isn't to be believed; that Icarium is gone? I got the impression at the end of DoD that Icarium was gone. It sucks, I know, but it was, I felt, implied. However, I also see SE bringing him back. You can't just kill off Icarium; that would be like killing off Rake...oh, wait...shit.

The Lether machine he rebooted at the end of RG never was fully addressed, was it? Also, I think his obsession with time will actually play a critical role in tCG (just a wild guess).

My two cents.
Always reading Steven Erikson, China Mieville, Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Dan Simmons, Alastair Reynolds, Joe Abercrombie, and Christopher Moore.

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

I thought at the time that Mappo's sense of Icarium was more akin to him feeling that he'd once again lost the trail, not that Icarium was vaporized. Or at least, that the connection was somehow severed, which could come down to a few possible reasons. Mappo couldn't be definitive, even if he has his own assumptions. But it's one of those things left in the air for TCG, and I wanna be optimistic.

#9 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:40 AM

the lether machine created his warrens. i thinks thats all that needs to be explained. other than the fact that it used more blood than just his. what effect will the personalities of breath, veed, last, rautos and taxillian et al. have on the nature of the warrens, if any?

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 29 May 2010 - 06:40 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#10 User is offline   onehitwunder 

• Corporal

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

Hmm interesting question, however I don't think they will since veeds ghost killed them all once and for all

#11 User is offline   DurhangAddict 

• Captain

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

View Postonehitwunder, on 29 May 2010 - 02:45 PM, said:

Hmm interesting question, however I don't think they will since veeds ghost killed them all once and for all

I don't think so - they make their appearance again after Veed "kills" them (ie: FeatherWitch gives Icarium the eye to make into the finnest).

#12 User is offline   onehitwunder 

• Corporal

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

Ahh true. I stand corrected. However I still don't think they will affect the warrens cause krul used blood to do everything since he was an elder god and the warrens aren't a reflection of all the ppl sacrificed to give him that blood.

#13 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

But each warren has a dragon aspected to it (Ampelas to Kurald Emurlahn, for example). In BH, Cotillion speculates that the dragons are in some way the "flavour" of their particular warren. And my personal theory is that the voice of Mockra Seren Pedac hears in RG is the dragon related to that warren (Eloth). So if the dragons were able to influence the warrens in some way, then maybe Taxilian et al can do the same with these new ones.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#14 User is offline   onehitwunder 

• Corporal

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:42 AM

Yeah but none of the ppl in icariums warrens are powerful sources of magic like dragons are

This post has been edited by onehitwunder: 30 May 2010 - 03:43 AM

#15 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Featherwitch was apparently hitting some serious levels of magery according to Kuru Qan and Hanan Mosag.... they even reckoned she hid her cedance well ....

#16 User is offline   Tyrant 

• You shall reap it

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:29 PM

Can some kind soul please explain the whole Icarium DoD storyline to me please?

So there was this motley crew of characters, some of whom we'd met before and had died in the previous book (Taxilian, Rautos), some I don't think we'd met i.e. Nappet etc (though I could be wrong) having a jolly little march across the desert followed at all times by this mysterious ghostly figure who is unable to communicate with them. They then come across a K'Chain Che'Malle Skykeep and fire up the systems SG1 style before being systematically slaughtered by the ghost of Taralack Veed and then...what? The ghostly figure is revealed to be Icarium who for some inexplicable reason is a wandering wisp of smoke and all these people merge within him and he then takes command of the Skykeep Rake style? That's the way I understand things, but I must be missing something SURELY?

I thought the whole storyline, along with the Snake, was really quite dull and I'm sure Erikson could have come up with a dozen better ways to put Icarium in the middle of the action in the Wastelands if it was really that important.

This post has been edited by Tyrant: 11 June 2010 - 07:31 PM

#17 User is offline   Tyrant 

• You shall reap it

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

Here's one for 'yer, initially I thought the ghost was Heboric, in fact I am certain it referred to itself as Heboric at some point early on. Unless I'm confusing this with ANOTHER wisp of smoke flitting around the Wastelands. :p Can anyone shed some light?

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

Icarium is a physical being (the capemoths see him, for one) who happens to be psychologically damaged as well as "haunted" for lack of a better word by the ghosts of various Letheri people. He is the only one who is actually physically there. Although whether the people in his head were actual spirits or partial spirits or total figments, I'm still not sure on. Also, the Snake are awesome.

#19 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:08 PM

heboric is only in the prologue. his bit is right after icarium's i believe
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#20 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

@Tyrant: Remember in RG when Icaium activates his machine and lots of people die. Well, basically they were absorbed in Icarium and their consciusness became dominant while Icarium forgot who he was.

And anyway I think that the Icarium storyline was a piece of genius.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users