Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Full world map in TCG? What are the odds Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

A while back Hetan and Mal reported having seen a new world map Steve had drawn for the books. An interesting question that arose from this is why Steve would need a new world map, given that the rumoured encyclopedia companion volume seems to have dropped off the radar and presumably won't immediately follow TCG.

This leads to the conclusion that the map is needed for something else, and putting it in The Crippled God to finally show the fans how the full world fits together does make a certain amount of sense.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

Plus with the pushing back of the release of The Crippled God, they should have more time to figure out how to put it in.

#3 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

Actually it was an old world map that we were given.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#4 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:55 AM

View PostHetan, on 25 May 2010 - 08:40 PM, said:

Actually it was an old world map that we were given.

Really? I thought that he'd lost the old world map? That probably scuppers that theory then.

Although I still think it would be a cool thing to see in the last book :laughing:
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#5 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

I'm not anticipating it. I can see a map of Kolanse and the Wastelands in TCG, but that's about it.

I believe he's saving the world map for the Encyclopedia Malaz, whose release I am greatly looking forward to.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#6 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

TBH a full world map should be in GotM already...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#7 User is offline   Ursus 

• Corporal

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

View PostGothos, on 03 June 2010 - 06:57 PM, said:

Have you no sense of wonder over the mysterious? Not knowing is what hooked me on the books, i find them less and less interesting as the world and its mysteries are revealed.

#8 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

View PostUrsus, on 30 July 2010 - 06:57 PM, said:

Have you no sense of wonder over the mysterious? Not knowing is what hooked me on the books, i find them less and less interesting as the world and its mysteries are revealed.

Word. I still probably don't think we should get one until after the Assail novel, as much as I would love to see one. No way should one have been in GotM.

#9 User is offline   NikitaDarkstar 

• Lieutenant

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:20 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 30 July 2010 - 10:22 PM, said:

View PostUrsus, on 30 July 2010 - 06:57 PM, said:

Word. I still probably don't think we should get one until after the Assail novel, as much as I would love to see one. No way should one have been in GotM.

And yet I constantly find myself wanting one. And I'm a person who never normally feel the need for a map. And to be perfectly honest, having a world map for this series wouldn't reveal much, if anything really. I mean does knowing where to find Bejing on a map mean you know enough about it to not bother going there?
Sanity is nothing more than an excuse for being boring.

#10 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

Most fantasy doesn't give a world map. Heck, most fantasy doesn't even have a world. Most fantasy takes place on one edge of a single continent. The map of Genebackis in GotM is already on par with most fantasy series maps. Then you get to DG and you're all, "Holy crap, is this an entirely new continent?!" Never mind MT, which (surprise!) introduces you to a continent clear on the other side of the globe that 99.9% of the characters weren't even aware existed! And no one knew about Kolanse and its significance prior to DoD... A world map before the end of the series spoils all of that.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#11 User is offline   NikitaDarkstar 

• Lieutenant

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

Then maybe all maps should be at the BACK of the books? Since by your logic maps = spoilers, and thus having them at the start of the book spoils that book to, since you get a view of the area that story takes place in. By the way maps tends to not show you exactly whats important and what isn't, just look at the one in RotCG, there's tons of places on it, I'm halway through it, loads of places hasn't been mentioned yet, and the only place on it I can know is truly important by just looking at the map is Unta, since it's underlined (like capitals usually are).. that is when I can find it on said map. :p

But I suppose some people are more sensetive to spoilers than others (not nessicarily a bad thing, just a fact.), but just as many people actually don't like that dislocating feeling of getting moved halfway cross the world without even realising it until 50-100 pages into the book. "So city X is where compared to Malaz/Unta/Pale (whatever you like as your refference)... wait they're not even on the same continent?! Umm okay.. so where is this continent compared to the other continent?" Personally I dispise that feeling, I really, really, really like to have something to help me orientate around the world... but I suppose not everyone can be like me. ^^;
Sanity is nothing more than an excuse for being boring.

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

Burn every map to ashes.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

View PostNikitaDarkstar, on 04 August 2010 - 08:08 PM, said:

Then maybe all maps should be at the BACK of the books? Since by your logic maps = spoilers, and thus having them at the start of the book spoils that book to, since you get a view of the area that story takes place in.

Yes, because that's exactly what I said. Forget I said everything. Might as well put the glossary from Book 10 at the front of Book 1 well we're at it. :p
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#14 User is offline   Johnny Phoenix 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

The world certainly got a hell of a lot smaller once I saw the unofficial world map. It did ruin a bit of the mystery but it wasn't too big a deal for me.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users