• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GHOST STORY blurb WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS FOR CHANGES SPOILERS SPOILERS

#1 User is offline   vaiski 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

Synopsis for Ghost Story. Mild spoilers.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Vaiski, bless him, just posted a Synopsis for Ghost Stories in another thread:

View Postvaiski, on 13 May 2010 - 12:09 PM, said:

Lets hear people's thoughts on this.

Well, obviously, Harry isn't quite dead and gone. That's not a surprise. It's interesting that the whole book will be set "inbetween" though. Going to make for a different kind of read I expect.

So what can we expect?

I think that Harry's Ectomancer contact will most likely be having a central role. Can't remember his name, but a scene with Harry appearing and scaring the crap out of him should be fun.

I reckon Mouse will be able to see Harry too, so that will be interesting.

As for the bad guys reappearing that Dresden has off'ed, I guess there's a whole lot to chose from. Maybe Casius will be there? He really hated Dresden. Maybe the exploding heart guy too? Harry's mother or father might show up too.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 13 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

View Postvaiski, on 13 May 2010 - 12:09 PM, said:

Gave this its own thread, w thanks to Vaiski for the above link. Here's the blurb:

"Harry Dresden has forgotten his own golden rule. Magic - it can get a guy killed. This didn't help when he clashed with parties unknown, with his murder in mind. And though Harry's continued existence is in some doubt, this doesn't mean rest or peace lie in store for Chicago's resident professional wizard. Trapped in a realm that is not quite here, yet not quite anywhere else, Harry learns that three of his loved ones are destined for crippling torment unless he can do something. Only by discovering his assailant's identity can he save his friends, bring criminal elements to justice, and move on before he becomes trapped in his own unending nightmare.

It would be easier if he knew which three friends were in danger. And had a (working) crystal ball. And had access to his magic. Instead, he must accomplish the task unable to interact with the physical world, invisible and inaudible to all but the most specialized magical talents. He is also [far] from the only silent presence roaming Chicago's alleys. Heck, he put some of them there himself. Now, they're looking for payback."

Wow... that is actually fairly revealing...
We have ghost Harry, not quite dead or alive, three friends at risk, and other presences stalking Harry...

I'm betting Harry starts and ends the book as a 'ghost' and we don't see an actual return to 'life' until the following book.
Plus we might finally get a resolution on the 'someone's trying to kill Harry' subplot.

- Abyss, intangibly solid.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

*cough* About 10 minutes late there kitty in the thread creation business.

Hmm. Uhm. Can we merge the thread or...

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

View PostAptorian, on 13 May 2010 - 03:14 PM, said:

*cough* About 10 minutes late there kitty in the thread creation business.

Hmm. Uhm. Can we merge the thread or...

...or what? ..or i just NUKE YOUR LITTLE UNECESSARY THREAD OUT OF EXISTANCE LIKE THE ILL THOUGHT OUT MOUTH BREATHING EXPRESSION OF ALMOST THOUGHT THAT IT IS???? OR THAT???? HOW ABOUT THAT, APT, EH????

Also, ...done. :)

- Abyss, ...makes mental note to reformat the Aptorian sub-personality to avoid future redundancy actions...

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

View PostAptorian, on 13 May 2010 - 03:02 PM, said:

...I think that Harry's Ectomancer contact will most likely be having a central role. Can't remember his name, but a scene with Harry appearing and scaring the crap out of him should be fun.

That would totally make sense and explain why this guy was actually given as much time as he was in CHANGES.

I reckon Mouse will be able to see Harry too, so that will be interesting.

That would just be all kinds of awesome. Moreso if he can talk to Harry.

As for the bad guys reappearing that Dresden has off'ed, I guess there's a whole lot to chose from. Maybe Casius will be there? He really hated Dresden. Maybe the exploding heart guy too? Harry's mother or father might show up too.

I dunno... the blurb suggests entities stuck in limbo (so to speak) and i'm having trouble thinking of any Dresden baddies who weren't just killed outright and would be 'in between' as it were.

There was that infantacidal granny ghost at the start of GRAVE PERIL... and beyond that i suppose we only have mages who seem to be dead... Cassius and Heart 'splody guy, sure... wasn't the vampire from BLOOD RITES also a necromancer...?

- Abyss, not quite dead.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 May 2010 - 03:12 PM, said:

[snip] ...

Wow... that is actually fairly revealing...
We have ghost Harry, not quite dead or alive, three friends at risk, and other presences stalking Harry...

I'm betting Harry starts and ends the book as a 'ghost' and we don't see an actual return to 'life' until the following book.
Plus we might finally get a resolution on the 'someone's trying to kill Harry' subplot.

- Abyss, intangibly solid.

So, who is at risk? Logically, there can only be that many people in Chicago. The most obvious three targets off the top of my head would be Molly and by extension her family, Murphy and Thomas. But maybe there's others. Butters. That PI guy. The Priest. Elaine? Maybe the Werewolf team.

It would be interesting to finally getting to the bottom of the assassination mystery. There's been at least three attempts on his life. Who the shooter is or who hired him is a big question mark. I refuse to believe it is Kincaid, Ivy wouldn't allow it, and I think that Kincaid secretly respects Dresden too much to take a job on him. The vampire courts would be too obvious. So would Marcone, like Marcone said in Changes, killing Dresden serves no purpose... but then again, maybe Marcone found one. Another possibility would be someone within the White Council doing it. The obvious guess there would be Christos connected with the Black Council being behind it.

Thinking about it does my head in. Nobody fits and everybody fits. In the end the bad guy is probably going to turn out to be Butters.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

It occurs to me that myth has it that cats can see the dead, and Mister was known to host Bob from time to time... geez, the whole book could be Harry and Mister's excellent adventure! (kidding. maybe.)

The werewolves seem to be perpetual victims so i'm hoping it's not them. Murphy seems too obvious, and Michael's family and esp Molly have been in jeapordy quite a bit too. I think it would be a nice touch if Harry had to save Marcone (again).
That other PI wasn't exactly a friend altho it was hinted they might work together again.

Who else does that leave... Father Whatsisface, Butters, Harry's landlady, Rawlins...

- Abyss, is lost at jeapordy...baby...

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

Speaking of Bob, the spirit of intellect could become a more active player in this book since Harry in spirit form could interact with him.

#10 User is offline   Animace 

• Corporal

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

It says he doesnt have access to his magic...Interesting. Will level the playing field after the power orgy of Changes. Back to dirty old detective work, with a twist.

If bob can control mister, could harry control mouse? Oh god, the possibilities.
We woke up one morning, and fell a little further down
For sure it's the valley of death, I open up my wallet
And it's full of blood

#11 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

So, we are assuming murphy came back, got harry out of the harbor, and did mouth to mouth with him becoming alive but in a coma, right?

If so, wouldn't the girl that died when Marcone was shot at (whats her faces daughter, she now runs the brothel for marcone... i cannot remember her name) possibly also be in limbo this whole time? Possible interaction there?

Remember that the baby strangler ghost was crossing over from the nevernever... there could be a shitton of harry's enemies that died violently still in the nevernever or something...

Remember that Harry didn't have his magic in the duel with Ortega, it was straight will, which is what I assume he will depend on.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#12 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

View PostCocoreturns, on 18 April 2010 - 11:24 AM, said:

Considering the title is Ghost Story, it leads to the rather obvious possibility of Harry being said ghost, telling the story. At least it does in my mind.

Damn I'm good.

seriously though, sounds innnnnnnteresting. I like the idea of some direct interaction with Bob, especially given that no-one else knows about Bob (or does Molly know? I can't recall exactly)

I imagine a freak out if Bob interacts directly with someone else though just because of how perverted he is.

Imagine:

the scene from Ghost, where Swayze tries to have a conversation via Whoopi Goldberg with Demi Moore? but, redone:

Bob acting as go between for Harry and Murphy. And adding in comments along the lines of "Harry can't wait to get back to his body and do the nasty with you, and your fit little body......." much to the outrage of a Harry that can't do anything about it.
meh. Link was dead :(

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

View PostCocoreturns, on 13 May 2010 - 06:40 PM, said:

I like the idea of some direct interaction with Bob, especially given that no-one else knows about Bob (or does Molly know? I can't recall exactly)

I think I remember a scene in Changes were Thomas mentions Bob to Molly when they return to the House after the first Ick attack.

When he mentions Bob, Molly doesn't understand and Thomas is quick to realise that Harry hasn't told her about Bob.

I'm guessing that despite everything Harry either doesn't want to entrust such a dangerous secret/weapon to Molly, because it can get her in trouble, or that he despite her continuing improvement still doesn't trust that she wont abuse Bobs knowledge to do something horrible.

#14 User is offline   vaiski 

• High Fist

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

Regarding Bob, Butcher said this in a Q&A @ Bitten by Books:

Q:Is it safe to say, that since Bob is a romance addict, he was a womanizer back when he was in his human form?
A: Bob never /had/ a human form. :) He’s a spirit of intellect (which gets confused with “air spirit” in some writings, I believe because air was the element that symbolized the intellect, intelligence and logic).

Bob’s origins are the subject of upcoming storylines, so I won’t get too far into them–but he’s always been a being of spirit, never mortal.

Edit: I was just watching this Q&A and Butcher says that Lasciel's story isn't yet over so I suppose her appearance in Ghost Story might be a (distant) possibility as well.

This post has been edited by vaiski: 13 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

#15 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:38 PM

View PostAptorian, on 13 May 2010 - 06:46 PM, said:

View PostCocoreturns, on 13 May 2010 - 06:40 PM, said:

I like the idea of some direct interaction with Bob, especially given that no-one else knows about Bob (or does Molly know? I can't recall exactly)

I think I remember a scene in Changes were Thomas mentions Bob to Molly when they return to the House after the first Ick attack.

When he mentions Bob, Molly doesn't understand and Thomas is quick to realise that Harry hasn't told her about Bob.

I'm guessing that despite everything Harry either doesn't want to entrust such a dangerous secret/weapon to Molly, because it can get her in trouble, or that he despite her continuing improvement still doesn't trust that she wont abuse Bobs knowledge to do something horrible.

or he doesnt want bob leering and making continuous suggestive comments to her!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#16 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:40 PM

Murphy killed Dresden you heard it here first...

she set him up, she knew where he would be at and when, few others would have.... :o

well probably not but thats what im betting on and if i turn out right you all owe me something... maybe virgin women or something... they can clean my house...

Hardback

Available 07/04/2011

WTF that is way to far away...

Abyss, Apt, if this release date does not improve we must combine our 3 countries resources and raid Jim Butcher to obtain a copy of the next novel... similar to how the south park boys jacked George Lucas....
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

You get to be the one with ball cancer then.

#18 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

View Postvaiski, on 13 May 2010 - 07:44 PM, said:

Edit: I was just watching this Q&A and Butcher says that Lasciel's story isn't yet over so I suppose her appearance in Ghost Story might be a (distant) possibility as well.

WTF Butcher got a haircut??

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

Like the haircut. I have this... phobia of chubby nerds with long hair and glasses. The stereo type burns my retinas. Definitely an improvement. I mean it's not like I'd fuck him. Okay I would. But only for an advanced copy of Ghost Stories. And maybe some memorabilia. Not of our love making I mean. Of the seires. Not that I think what we'd do could be called making love... where was I?

#20 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:03 PM

View PostZanth13, on 02 June 2010 - 04:40 PM, said:

Murphy killed Dresden you heard it here first...

Well it was that or make the sex with him... can you blame her, dude probably calls his thing 'Sue' and cracks jokes about riding the undead dinosaur...

...can we all pretend i never wrote that?

Hardback

Available 07/04/2011

WTF that is way to far away...

Abyss, Apt, if this release date does not improve we must combine our 3 countries resources and raid Jim Butcher to obtain a copy of the next novel... similar to how the south park boys jacked George Lucas....

We have to let him write it first.

I know, i know, but i haven't mastered the extraction process yet and the subjects keep dying and/or thinking they're Lindsay Lohan. It might have something to do with the grapefruit spoon in the cerebellum...

View PostPig Iron, on 02 June 2010 - 07:05 PM, said:

View Postvaiski, on 13 May 2010 - 07:44 PM, said:

WTF Butcher got a haircut??

View PostAptorian, on 02 June 2010 - 07:25 PM, said:

Like the haircut....

Re Lasciel, WHITE NIGHT left the possibility of an element of Lash still in his head. it's not unthinkable. or someone else may find her coin and raise the real thing. dresden did say in CHANGES that he could call Laschiel to him in an instant, so some link is still there.

Re the haircut, thank god. He really needed one. Now just a shave and a few years in the gym and he'll be ready to be taken to public places! :o

- Abyss, ...could have done without those images, Apt...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users