Something even more interesting another breadcrumb trail, for phib

#41 User is offline   BridgeBurner 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:56 PM

Terez on blademaster duels:
"Rand vs. Ryne in New Spring (mostly off screen)"

Minor nitpick. I think you mean Lan here, not Rand. :bs:

On your theory, I like the basics. It would certainly give Gawyn a real reason, plotwise, to still be around except for being Egwene's Warder/sweetheart.

I am not sure, though, why Mat would consider Gawyn getting the foxhead medallion indirectly (either from Elayne or Alivia) to be a betrayal to Rand. The whole 'what if I hadn't done that' train of thought leading to Gawyn getting the medallion just doesn't seem to fit Mat, in my book. If he'd give it to Elayne it would be for the best of reasons. Everybody getting it from Elayne would make Elayne as much (maybe more) a Judas. And Mat would not blame himself about that, I think... Actually, I'm not sure if the Judas parallell really is appliable here. Not all betrayals are in Judas style...

The Betrayal could as well be Tuon using Mat's connection to the Dragon Reborn (she knows about this, IIRC) to get close and harm Rand. No theorizing here, just offering a different possibility. Without Mat knowing about Tuon's intentions. Tuon doing something harmful to Rand without Mat knowing of her intentions would bug Mat way more, when it comes to feeling guilty towards Rand.

Like you I think there will be a confrontation between Gawyn and Rand, possibly leading to Rand's death; you pointed that out really well. But that could as well be after (for example) a battle at the Black Tower that leaves Rand weakened, giving Gawyn a clear shot. BTW, didn't you put in the option of Gawyn already being bonded to Egwene before setting out to Caemlyn? Have you thought of the implications for Egwene if Gawyn would die as well?

#42 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

View PostBridgeBurner, on 07 May 2010 - 10:56 PM, said:

Minor nitpick. I think you mean Lan here, not Rand.

Nah, I meant Rand.

BB said:

I am not sure, though, why Mat would consider Gawyn getting the foxhead medallion indirectly (either from Elayne or Alivia) to be a betrayal to Rand.

It wouldn't, really. But if Mat is going to be paralleled to Judas, then he has to contribute to Rand's death in some way. I think the 'betrayal' aspect of the parallel will come later, after Rand is resurrected.

BB said:

Like you I think there will be a confrontation between Gawyn and Rand, possibly leading to Rand's death; you pointed that out really well. But that could as well be after (for example) a battle at the Black Tower that leaves Rand weakened, giving Gawyn a clear shot.

The Logain dream and Logain's glory both indicate that Rand will already be dead by the time the Black Tower battle comes around.

BB said:

BTW, didn't you put in the option of Gawyn already being bonded to Egwene before setting out to Caemlyn? Have you thought of the implications for Egwene if Gawyn would die as well?

No, I haven't thought of that at all.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#43 User is offline   BridgeBurner 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

View PostTerez, on 08 May 2010 - 08:16 AM, said:

View PostBridgeBurner, on 07 May 2010 - 10:56 PM, said:

Minor nitpick. I think you mean Lan here, not Rand.

Nah, I meant Rand.

It was Lan though. Rand wasn't in NS. But no big deal; your point there was that we haven't seen many real blademaster vs. blademaster duel, right?

Terez said:

BB said:

BTW, didn't you put in the option of Gawyn already being bonded to Egwene before setting out to Caemlyn? Have you thought of the implications for Egwene if Gawyn would die as well?

No, I haven't thought of that at all.

Could be interesting though. :bs:

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users