• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions about Setoc and other things Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:07 PM

Erm, I am a little confused now - she was mute in RG because something broke in her throat or so... why is she talking in DoD? :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Harvester: 03 May 2010 - 10:03 PM

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

Setoc was in Reaper's Gale? Damn, totally missed this if so...
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   Harvester 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

Yes, she's the sister of that farmer boy who gets killed by Redmask's KCCM guardians. Later a Barghast finds her living with wolves.

//edit: Okay, the wolves seem to be behind this... still... it's not the best transition. A little explanation would be nice. :rolleyes:

Btw. the statement that the Barghast hurried after the Grey Swords makes absolutely no sense. Sometimes I get the feeling that these parts only exist to piss off the reader. :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Harvester: 17 April 2010 - 12:23 AM

#4 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:36 AM

View PostHarvester, on 16 April 2010 - 10:16 PM, said:

Btw. the statement that the Barghast hurried after the Grey Swords makes absolutely no sense. Sometimes I get the feeling that these parts only exist to piss off the reader. Posted Image

Oooh, did I missed something? It made sense to me (maybe wrongly). Toc went with GS to Lether and Tool wanted to follow with clans (he for reuniting, they for epic battle alongside with GS he promised). Problem is, that shipping of GS was much easier than whole White Face tribe and Tool lost valuable time to get there in time.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#5 User is offline   Harvester 

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:05 AM

Well yeah, I am not sure about RG but I think the Barghast arrive before the GS (in the last days of King Diskanar as we all know...:rolleyes:...timeline...not...important...have...to...memorize...) and TTH states:

"'Well, the Grey Swords as you know marched south, down to Elingarth,' Crone said... 'And there they purchased ships.' A pause and a cock of the head. 'Could they see the wake before them? Did they know to follow? Or is there perhaps a great hole in the world's ocean, drawing every ship into it's deadly maw?'

'The White Face took to the seas? Extraordinary. And the Grey Swords followed them.' -Baruk and Crone

TtH, US TPB, p.46

DoD also implies that the Barghast travelled via warren.

It doesn't matter anyway because this particular part of the timeline has been a total mess from the start. :thumbsup:

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:23 AM

That's sort of the point tho'. The Wolves sent the GS to Leth. Separately, the Barghast Gods sent the White Face to Leth. Neither set of gods was entirely clear on where and why and what and who and so on, and juts to mess things around, there are other forces at work, likely including the CG. It doesn't matter who went first and who followed, all we know for sure is Tool was looking fwd to seeing Toc, so he at least knew the GS were supposed to be there.

Since Letherii/Edur force wiped out the GS, we can guess he was behind that turnaround at least.
The way the Barghast act reall echoes how the CG corrpted the Letheri Edur, but that could have just been barbarian self-destruct.

As for Setoc, she was orphaned when Redmask sent the KC to wipe out a few famrs to draw the Letherii out. Wolves found her and later a White Face tribe. She also seems to grow up a whole lot, but well, we won't dwell on the timelines which is not important the timeline is not important the timelines is...

- Abyss, ...not important wait harllo was how old not important the timelines is not important dassem was betrayed when exactly not important the timeline is not important the timeline is how long were nimander and co on that prison island not important the timeline is not important...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:38 AM

And we all know, that if timeline doesnt fit, its something old and terrible. With beard.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#8 User is offline   Harvester 

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

Well, Setoc was 10 years old when Redmask raided her village, so she doesn't seem to suffer from magic aging. :thumbsup: ...Only from magic unmuting... I don't know why this is bugging me so much... :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Harvester: 17 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

#9 User is offline   Eispeis 

• Trygalle Trade Guild Route Planner

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

View PostUlrik, on 17 April 2010 - 08:38 AM, said:

And we all know, that if timeline doesnt fit, its something old and terrible. With beard.

Santa?

/sorry

#10 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

I liked the name Stayandi (or whatever it was) more than Setoc, if I'm honest. Godrelatedness or not.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#11 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

View PostHarvester, on 17 April 2010 - 10:51 AM, said:

Well, Setoc was 10 years old when Redmask raided her village, so she doesn't seem to suffer from magic aging. :thumbsup: ...Only from magic unmuting... I don't know why this is bugging me so much... :rolleyes:

Yeah, cause we all know there's no possible way physical damage could be healed by a shaman or something, right?

Cafal probably did it. Relax.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#12 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

After reading DOD it just seems surprising that the Barghast that found Setoc did not hobble/rape her and then eat her....
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

Yeesh, they're not savages!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14 User is offline   Harvester 

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

- Update -

I have another question. Erm - what happened to Twilight's Shake company? I don't remember all the little Shake bits from RG, so I could have missed something...

#15 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:21 AM

whaddaya mean what happened to her shake 'company'? They took the road of gallan to kharkanas.

edit: you have finished the book right? if no, then forget what you just read

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 04 May 2010 - 02:21 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#16 User is offline   Seras 

• Wicked Sick
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MBotF, Anime, Hockey, Strawberry Icecream, Parkour, Piano, Gaming, Music

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:39 AM

View PostHarvester, on 03 May 2010 - 10:10 PM, said:

- Update -

I have another question. Erm - what happened to Twilight's Shake company? I don't remember all the little Shake bits from RG, so I could have missed something...

If I remember correctly, the Perish captured Twilight's ship (in The Bonehunters), that held all the refugees. Twilight met up with Tavore a while later, made it known that she was Queen of the Shake, and claimed the Shore (or some random island, forget which) for the Shake. Skip to Dust of Dreams and all the refugees are starving, most of the witches are dead (slaughtered by Yedan), so Twilight opens a portal to Kharkansas using her royal Andii blood. Yedan and Twilight find the First Shore, which turns out to be the border between Dark and Light, the refugees settle in, Mother Dark returns, Sand and Withal pay her a visit...
TO BE CONTINUED
Lives and loves, the gamut of existence was marked by such things. A breaking of paths, the ragged, uneven ever-forward stumble. Blood dried, eventually. Turned to dust. The corpses of kings were laid down and sealed in darkness and set away, to be forgotten. Graves were dug for fallen soldiers, vast pits like mouths in the earth, opened in hunger, and all the bodies were tumbled down, each exhaling a last gasp of lime dust. Survivors grieved, for a time, and looked upon empty rooms and empty beds, the scattering of possessions no-one possessed any longer, and wondered what was to come, what would be written anew on the wiped-clean slate. Wondering, how can I go on?

#17 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:45 AM

Erayle got the book wrong but was mostly right:

As of the beginning of Reapers Gale, the want to be Rise, Tullig Brynag or some such, is attempting to claim Second Maiden Fort as his own. He does, however, have Malazan Command present, as it is their staging ground for the second invasion of Letheras by ship.

Yan Tovis (Queen) gathers the remaining Shake warlocks and peoples, and puts them on huge rafts after the Watch has reported to her a fleet that has been burned off the Western Letheri coast. However, the failing Omtose Phellack ritual that bound the Letheri from Death, has sundered, and massive ice floes and glaciers are making the ocean off of Second Maiden fort fairly unnavigable, and the Shake rafts are rescued by Perish ships and deposited on the island.

And, thus begins DoD, with the Shake having left the island for the shore again.

This post has been edited by H.D.: 04 May 2010 - 03:51 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#18 User is offline   Seras 

• Wicked Sick
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MBotF, Anime, Hockey, Strawberry Icecream, Parkour, Piano, Gaming, Music

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:56 AM

Wow, I really need to do another re-read of Reaper's Gale, can't believe how much stuff I forgot:coffee:
Oh, and I have a question - was the failing of the Omtose Phellack ritual caused by Sinn, or was it that ancient demon-god? (or both...) I remember that part where the Jaghut comes back to repair her ritual and two Rat-Catchers tell her that they know the god's name, but not much else.
Lives and loves, the gamut of existence was marked by such things. A breaking of paths, the ragged, uneven ever-forward stumble. Blood dried, eventually. Turned to dust. The corpses of kings were laid down and sealed in darkness and set away, to be forgotten. Graves were dug for fallen soldiers, vast pits like mouths in the earth, opened in hunger, and all the bodies were tumbled down, each exhaling a last gasp of lime dust. Survivors grieved, for a time, and looked upon empty rooms and empty beds, the scattering of possessions no-one possessed any longer, and wondered what was to come, what would be written anew on the wiped-clean slate. Wondering, how can I go on?

#19 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:18 AM

These are two different failed Omtose Phellack rituals, which should alert you to the true cause.

The first ritual was Gothos pretty much freezing Death out of the entire subcontinent. That was a MASSIVE ritual, and is the one that's affecting the local oceans and seas.

The second was Ganath's? (or the one who got freed from the Azath when it died, that Bugg talked to). Her ritual froze the lake where the sea-demon was trying to get to Letheras and destroy it, the trap set by the Ceda and Mael, that she bought into.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#20 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 04 May 2010 - 02:21 AM, said:

edit: you have finished the book right? if no, then forget what you just read

i do that all the time =D

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic