Malazan Empire: AI War - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AI War Possibly the greatest RTS of all time.

#1 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

A fantastic innovative space RTS: Site

At A Glance
- Space-based RTS, single player or up to 8 player co-op.
- Powerful emergent AI that retreats, probes defenses, and surprises even veterans with intelligent tactics.
- 30,000+ ships at a time on 10-120 simultaneous planetary battlefields.
- Different Every Time: 16 billion procedural maps, each with specific units. - A focus on deep strategy with nearly no micromanagement.
- PC Gamer UK (November 2009): AI War breaks most of the genre's rules. Which is precisely why it's incredible... This out-of-the-blue one-man passion project is one of this year's finest strategy games. (More Press & Player Reactions)

What Makes AI War Unique?
Posted Image AI War is an entirely unique large-scale RTS with aspects of TBS, tower defense, and grand strategy. It features single or cooperative play with as many as 8 humans against a pair of powerful, intelligent AIs. These AIs are driven by an AI Progress stat that players contribute to through aggressive actions such as taking control of planets and destroying key units, forcing tough decisions regarding which targets are worth capturing or destroying. Human fleets are usually several thousand ships in size or larger, with games often featuring 30,000 units at any given time across galaxies of anywhere from 10 to 120 planets. Some games have reached as many as 90,000 units!

Despite this, players retain powerful control over their fleets in a macro-sense, ignoring painful micromanagement present in other games in favor of actual tactics like flanking. Meanwhile, ships themselves attempt to target enemies as intelligently as possible so the player can focus on the tasks that really matter. Scouting also plays a major role in the game, supplying an intel 'snapshot' about important capturable units, enemy fleet sizes, and planet ownership. Designed by RTS veterans and backed by strong, responsive support on the official forums and elsewhere, AI War is an exciting and refreshing experience.

I have no idea how to explain how amazingly fun this game is. The AI consistently surprises us - even after playing for hours. The AI is stupendous, and the game is immensely fun to play - with battles of a few thousand ships being quite common. Strategic and tactical concerns outweigh economic micromanagement - there's sufficient intelligence and automation to allow you to take as much control over your economy as you like - or not at all.
In short, the game is an RTS that is actually about strategy / tactics. It doesn't boil down to an economy game with units, like so many RTSs invariably do. With a phenomenal range of units, abilities, and defenses available, every battle is its own unique challenge, with many ways to play each.

The game was programmed essentially by a single dude, and it's his one-man-crusade against the flaws of common RTS's. The whole game is about 120MB, but that's almost entirely AI scripting. XBoxers and other new gamers would find the graphics somewhat offensively lackluster - but the gameplay is what's important. I started a new game last night with two of my friends, played 8 or so hours, until 3AM, and it is the most fun I have had gaming in YEARS. Combined arms assaults, multi-directional flanks, just fantastic.

This is my new favorite game.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:23 PM

Sounds fun! How much and where do I get it?

Ah, available on Steam or elsewise, about $20. Oh and I like this part:

DRM
We've been asked if the game contains any signficiant DRM, and the answer is, emphatically, no. We've got a simple license key (which turns the trial version into the full version), but that's it. No need to contact our servers during install, no hidden drivers, no encryption, or install limits.

We want to make it easy on our customers, and we've never really felt like DRM works, anyway. If you like our games, please buy them so that we can make more, but we're not about to start treating our real customers like thieves just to thwart the inevitable pirates.

This post has been edited by D'rek: 12 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

Me thinks I might have to check this out. Hopefully better than the last couple indie games I've picked up...

View PostD, on 12 April 2010 - 10:23 PM, said:

DRM

Even the most hardcore drm only takes about two hours to crack, I just don't understand why they bother at all.

#4 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:37 PM

Two hours? More like 400+ days. And the Assassin's Creed 2 DRM is apparently a bitch to fully remove, remaining uncracked and ruining the image of Ubisoft. It'll still be cracked eventually, but it's so far successful and likely to be adopted by other bastards in the games industry.

I like their attitude though, it's much the same as the developers for Sins of a Solar Empire, which is also damn fun and worth your money.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#5 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:44 PM

Ok ok ok... sorry, the most hardcore drm on any games I might possibly have the slightest desire to play.

#6 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

Console DRM is different, inherently. You can't do jack crap on a console compared to the gymnastics you can do on your computer to get around DRM.

I found a torrent of it (I wanted to buy it, but my credit card expired). This is the sort of enterprise that I support monetarily even if I might torrent their material.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users