• You cannot reply to this topic

Very nice!

#1 User is offline   braxat2000 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hi,
Finished the book.
Enjoyed it though it was a bit slow at the beginning. For his first book it was very well written, and as I read now return of the guard I can say the writer improves.

I liked this book, it passed the feeling of this dark night very well to me. I also liked the wasy that it was told from mostly two point of view.

One issue to me was that riders part was a bit disconnected, I think it didn't sit well with the main sotryoine, and didn't understand its purpose.

The second is that as much as I liked kiska (and I did), I felt it a bit off that Tay will take her so willingly with him on those world changing events, I mean why whould he? it didn't make sense.

Temper was cool, and I loved the way he lived up to his name, and I always remembr that the names are given by braven tooth as his impressions of the soldiers :lol:.

Well done, and now I'll return to read return of the guard.
braxat

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

View Postbraxat2000, on 21 March 2010 - 02:11 PM, said:

Temper was cool, and I loved the way he lived up to his name, and I always remembr that the names are given by braven tooth as his impressions of the soldiers.

Is it stated that Braven Tooth gave Temper his name?

It was Fiddler who started the naming process, and some how I doubt that Temper is a younger soldier than Fiddler.

Also, Tempers name is connected with his status as being a part of Dassems Sword. There were some 8 or 9 members of the sword who guarded the First Sword. They all have names that characterise parts of what makes out a sword.

#3 User is offline   braxat2000 

• Recruit

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the corrections,
I miss things because English is not my mother language :lol:.

View PostAptorian, on 21 March 2010 - 02:49 PM, said:

Temper was cool, and I loved the way he lived up to his name, and I always remembr that the names are given by braven tooth as his impressions of the soldiers.

Is it stated that Braven Tooth gave Temper his name?

It was Fiddler who started the naming process, and some how I doubt that Temper is a younger soldier than Fiddler.

Also, Tempers name is connected with his status as being a part of Dassems Sword. There were some 8 or 9 members of the sword who guarded the First Sword. They all have names that characterise parts of what makes out a sword.

#4 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:01 PM

That's not necessarily true.
We know that Fid gave BT his name after that brawl but that doesn't mean BT wasn't already naming soldiers, or does it? :lol:

This post has been edited by Harvester: 21 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

View PostHarvester, on 21 March 2010 - 09:01 PM, said:

That's not necessarily true.
We know that Fid gave BT his name after that brawl but that doesn't mean BT wasn't already naming soldiers, or does it? Posted Image

Right. Fidd says that he avoided getting a name through basic training and was named by WJ later on, hence BT was already naming people when Fidd was just a wee recruit. The brawl they all denied happening almost certainly happened later when they were a bit more grizzled - BT seems the type to scare the crap out of his trainees rather than be drinking and brawling with them. I'd say there's a good chance the brawl was when the BBs were back in Malaz City before the Genebackis campaign started (ie just a few days before the GotM prologue). Either way, while Fidd named BT it was BT that started the naming business, though it of course spread far and wide across the malaz military since.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   Lousy 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:19 AM

I liked this book, it passed the feeling of this dark night very well to me.
braxat

Yeah, I got a really Halloweenie feel from it, a very special time of year :Urb: The Deadhouse, Shadow Moon, when Temper was being held in the Hanged Man and the fog was rising from the floor, the Hounds howling .... great stuff!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users