Malazan Empire: Jaime Lannister vs Cthulu - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +

Jaime Lannister vs Cthulu From GRRMs blog Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:18 AM

Oh god this is awesome. Look, Martin, don't bother any more with this silly nonsense you call the Song of Ice and Fire. You need to write us a cosmic horror meets Sword and Sorcery mash-up instead. This, I would pay good money for.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

To read Suvudu's account of their clash, and register your vote, go to:

http://www.suvudu.co...-lannister.html

As for my own version of how things might go, here 'tis:

"Books?" Jaime said. "How can books help me in a fight?"

"They can tell you more about this thing you're fighting." Tyrion dumped the dusty tomes down on the table.

"Cthulhu," said Jaime. "It sounds like the noise old men make when they're bringing up phelgm." He rummaged through the books with his good hand. They had odd titles, in languages he did not know, though he was not surprised his brother did. "Abdul Alhazared," he pronounced, leafing through a few pages. "This is written in gibberish. What tongue is this?"

"A fair question," said Tyrion, "to which I have no answer. That comes from the shadowlands beyond Asshai. But here, look at this. It is a translation of a translation of a translation, I understand." The dwarf flipped through the pages, until he found the one he wanted. "And there are illuminations. Here. This is Cthulhu."

Jaime stared. "That?"

"That."

"It's as big as Casterly Rock."

"Bigger. If Casterly Rock fell on its head it might not even notice."

"Seven bloody hells." Even if he still had two good hands, Jaime Lannister was not certain how he was supposed to fight something like that. "Those tentacles... this thing looks as though it just ate twenty giant krakens, but hasn't quite finished swallowing them yet." He sat down, and began turning pages. "Maybe if I had a dragon... "

"Maybe if you had a hundred dragons." Tyrion sat cross-legged on his stool and began rummaging through another book, called Mysteries of the Worm.
"Read. I'll do the same. You haven't much time."

"I suppose not," Jaime admitted. "What am I looking for?"

"Weaknesses."

Jaime looked at the picture of Cthulhu again. "It has eyes," he said. "A vulnerable point, perhaps. A spear through the eye will kill a dragon." How could he reach the eyes, though? The thing was taller than the Wall. "A rope and a grapnel... I could scale the damned thing, as if it were a mountain... but I'd need too good hands to pull myself up..." He did not have two good hands.

"You could have twenty good hands," said Tyrion. He did not even look up from his book. "The tentacles would catch you and pull you apart like a wishbone." He turned another page. "You had best start reading, if you ever want to fuck our sweet sister again."

Jaime started reading. It was not at all his favorite pastime, but he saw his little brother's point.

The better part of an hour passed before he looked up. "Here's something," he said. "Elder signs." He turned the book around and showed it to Tyrion.

The dwarf scratched at his nose, considering. "Hmmm. Yes. Protective wards. Those could be useful."

"I can paint one on my shield," said Jaime.

"On your shield and all over your armor," suggested Tyrion. "But paint can be stripped away too easily. Have these Elder Signs etched into the metal."

"Agreed." Jaime rose and summoned his armorer and set him to work. "Along my sword as well," he told the man. "Both sides."

Tyrion was still reading. "That's unfortunate."

"What?" Jaime poured each of them a cup of wine. This reading was thirsty work.

"Well, it says here that the mere sight of this Cthulhu will drive you mad with terror."

Jaime laughed. "What, me?" He took a sip of wine. "Sometimes a little terror just makes a man fight harder."

"They're talking about a lot of terror," said the dwarf. "Not the fight-harder kind, alas. The shit-your-breeches-and-curl-up-in-a-ball kind."

Now that was really vexing. Even covered with Elder Signs, how could he be expected to fight the damn thing if he could not even look at it? "Do I need to go into battle blind?" he asked his brother. "There was Symeon Star-Eyes, true, but he had years of experience fighting sightless. I do not. How do I even find the bloody thing?"

"Well, I imagine there will be a smell," said Tyrion. His frown deepened. "It would appear you can't kill it either."

"A thrust through the eye... " insisted Jaime, clinging to that hope.

"... is like to inconvenience it, but the thing's already dead, or undead, or... Listen to this. That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die."

"I doubt that I can wait aeons," said Jaime. "So the thing's a god, is it?"

"Pretty much." Scowling, Tyrion turned more pages. Then he grinned. "Oh, hold on. Here is it."

"What now?" asked Jaime.

"It's sleeping." Tyrion tapped the page. "Says so right here. And in the other book as well. Cthulhu is sleeping in R'yleh beneath the sea."

"How does that help us?" asked Jaime.

"Well," said Tyrion, "let's not wake it. If Cthulhu doesn't turn up, you win the match by default. Big fellow like that needs its sleep. I'd hate to disturb its dreaming, wouldn't you?"

"We all need to dream," said Jaime, with a wry smile. "But someone will want to it wake it up, I fear."

"A lot of someones," the dwarf confessed. "There's heavy coin down on the big guy."

He was not wrong. When Jaime strode onto the battleground beside the sea, he found more than twenty of them: priests and acolytes with bulging eyes, fish-belly white skin, receding chins, and the odd gill or two. The moment they saw him, they all started chanting, "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn,"and dancing about in a circle, their pale limbs flopping. Their eyes were all on the waves. None of them paid the least bit of attention to Jaime... until he shrugged off his cloak and let it puddle to the ground, revealing the golden armor beneath, covered over head to heel with Elder Signs.
Then they started shrieking. Smiling happily, Jaime donned his helm, and unsheathed his longsword.

The priests were slow and clumsy, at least on land. None of them were armed, and his blade went through their pale soft flesh like a fishwife's knife through a fresh catch, the Elder Signs along its length brightening with each kill. Green ichor splattered everywhere. Before long the ground was slippery with scales and webbed hands and stinking fish innards. No one was chanting anymore.

Cthulhu never showed. Jaime hoped it was having a nice dream. Maybe it has a sweet sister too.

"I think you've won this one," said Tyrion, as the sun was going down. There was no one left to dispute it. "Let's go collect our winnings. You won't believe the odds I got on you, brother."

The Suvudu story isn't bad either.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 18 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

#2 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:04 AM

Heh. That was pretty funny, and yes I would pay to read an epic version of it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3 User is offline   Slick Mongoose 

• Captain

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:09 PM

That is good. But i'm still gutted about Arthur Dent losing. He should have won the whole thing.
"pseudoscience and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us – then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls. The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." - Carl Sagan

#4 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

On a related note, I remember reading a HP lovecraft book or two that was about a detective exploring the cult and he had a smoking hot and rich blondine secretary that was in love with him. Could anyone tell me the name of that or maybe help me in the right direction?

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

I would LOVE for a good author to write ridiculous fan fiction like this. It's probably too much of a legal hassle though to publish it.

#6 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

I think we may have stumbled onto the secret of completing aSoIF here... Just get the people on that site to do a special Westeros only tourney with all the surviving cast. GRRM will be unable to resist commenting on every battle, espescially with the predictions that go with it are absolutely ridiculous. Then you just need someone to fill in the bits between the fights and BAM! series finished :)
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#7 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:14 PM

Martin's response to the Hermione one is brilliant.

#8 User is offline   Aristai 

• Captain

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:17 AM

Pure genius. Loving it!

#9 User is offline   Aristai 

• Captain

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:52 AM

Diggin what Martin wants to do for the final. Hopefully it happens.

Jaime's Challenge
  • Apr. 2nd, 2010 at 1:53 PM
The good news: Jaime Lannister pulled it out and defeated Kvothe. Came from 700 votes behind in the final hours to win handily... all thanks to you guys, of course. Thanks to all of you who voted for him... and all of you who voted for his opponent (misguided though you are). And to Patrick Rothfuss, a fine writer and a good sport, who made this round a lot of fun. RIP, Kvothe.

The bad news: Jaime is in the final, and his opponent is Rand al'Thor.

Let me see. Rand is a master swordsman. He's got one of those "heron mark" swords, which is probably the equal of Valyrian steel. He's the reincarnation of the greatest hero and wizard in the history of Robert Jordan's universe. He's got balefire. And then there's that whole ta'veren thing he's got going.

Jaime has gilded armor, a shield, a Valyrian steel sword, and a dwarf.

Bugger.

"Here's my counsel for this round," Tyrion said. "Run away. Don't look back."

Jaime is not impressed. "A Lannister does not run."

"This one does," said Tyrion, "but I figured you'd say that. So here's what you need to do to have ANY hope of surviving this one..."

Jaime's last match was fought on Kvothe's home turf. An away game. Therefore Jaime demands that this final be played out on his own ground, in the tourney grounds outside King's Landing, according to the customs and traditions of Westeros.

And should the wizards of Suvudu grant THAT request, he further demands that this be made a TRIAL OF SEVEN, to honor the Seven Gods. His right to demand such a format is sanctified by ancient Westerosi custom... and my first Dunk & Egg story, "The Hedge Knight."

Under the rules of a Trial of Seven, each combatant is allowed to have six companions to fight beside him. Seven against seven. Jaime's six will all be characters from the worlds and stories of George R.R. Martin (that would be me); Rand is free to fill out his six with characters from the works of Robert Jordan AND Brandon Sanderson. (Yes, he can even include Conan, since Jordan wrote about him).

Seven against seven. For all the marbles.

Jaime's challenge.

How do the gods of Suvudu rule?

#10 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

I was reading this through the first and second rounds, but gave up because the fanboy vote rigging is annoying. Anything older got beat by the newer. And Jaime Lannister? FFS.

A good idea, but the results get rolly eyes all around.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#11 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

Yeah. I laughed when Drizzt beat the Shrike. The Shrike! Perhaps the most powerful SFF character ever(and of course also one of the coolest). A copied-from-Tolkien-elf like Drizzt, wouldn't have had any chance.

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 05 April 2010 - 10:21 AM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#12 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

View PostAristai, on 04 April 2010 - 07:52 AM, said:

Diggin what Martin wants to do for the final. Hopefully it happens.

Jaime's Challenge
  • Apr. 2nd, 2010 at 1:53 PM
The good news: Jaime Lannister pulled it out and defeated Kvothe. Came from 700 votes behind in the final hours to win handily... all thanks to you guys, of course. Thanks to all of you who voted for him... and all of you who voted for his opponent (misguided though you are). And to Patrick Rothfuss, a fine writer and a good sport, who made this round a lot of fun. RIP, Kvothe.

The bad news: Jaime is in the final, and his opponent is Rand al'Thor.

Let me see. Rand is a master swordsman. He's got one of those "heron mark" swords, which is probably the equal of Valyrian steel. He's the reincarnation of the greatest hero and wizard in the history of Robert Jordan's universe. He's got balefire. And then there's that whole ta'veren thing he's got going.

Jaime has gilded armor, a shield, a Valyrian steel sword, and a dwarf.

Bugger.

"Here's my counsel for this round," Tyrion said. "Run away. Don't look back."

Jaime is not impressed. "A Lannister does not run."

"This one does," said Tyrion, "but I figured you'd say that. So here's what you need to do to have ANY hope of surviving this one..."

Jaime's last match was fought on Kvothe's home turf. An away game. Therefore Jaime demands that this final be played out on his own ground, in the tourney grounds outside King's Landing, according to the customs and traditions of Westeros.

And should the wizards of Suvudu grant THAT request, he further demands that this be made a TRIAL OF SEVEN, to honor the Seven Gods. His right to demand such a format is sanctified by ancient Westerosi custom... and my first Dunk & Egg story, "The Hedge Knight."

Under the rules of a Trial of Seven, each combatant is allowed to have six companions to fight beside him. Seven against seven. Jaime's six will all be characters from the worlds and stories of George R.R. Martin (that would be me); Rand is free to fill out his six with characters from the works of Robert Jordan AND Brandon Sanderson. (Yes, he can even include Conan, since Jordan wrote about him).

Seven against seven. For all the marbles.

Jaime's challenge.

How do the gods of Suvudu rule?

He's probably trying to get some of the Wild Cards characters into the fight. In the end it is just going to boil down to popularity. Rand will win.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

Ideally Jaime makes Tyrion swallow Matt's amulet and then picks the dwarf up by the feet and clubs Rand to death with him.

...i'm just saying, THAT would be cool.

- Abyss, ...what? you'd rather Cthulu just defecate terrorshite into everyone's thinkymeatz...?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 April 2010 - 04:14 PM, said:

Ideally Jaime makes Tyrion swallow Matt's amulet and then picks the dwarf up by the feet and clubs Rand to death with him.

...i'm just saying, THAT would be cool.

- Abyss, ...what? you'd rather Cthulu just defecate terrorshite into everyone's thinkymeatz...?

Now that I think about it, I hope Jamie is allowed to bring other characters from Martin's other books . . . that way maybe Rand will balefire them enough to wipe the other projects out of existence and Martin will be foreced to work on nothing but the next SoFaI book.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#15 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

Martin's versionof Jaime vs. Rand.

Hot damn, that man can write.

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

That was good. I like how he managed to sum up all my frustration with the WoT in but a few paragraph:

A roar greeted their appearance, as the crowded stands around the tourney grounds erupted in shouts and cheers and whistles. On the walls of the great city behind them guards began to beat their spears against their shields. Avienda slid into a fighting crouch and Birgitte nocked an arrow to her bowstring. Nynaeve eyed the throngs and sniffed in disdain. Egwene frowned and smoothed her skirts. Min shook her head. "We should not have come," she said. "I saw all this in my vision. Rand, we should leave now."

Rand had never intended to bring the women with him. He did not know what dangers this strange world might present, and he did not like the idea of exposing them to peril. Even when his latest foe had challenged him to a fight of seven against seven, he had insisted that he would fight alone. There was no keeping the women away, however. They would not listen. They never did. Though he seemed to accumulate more women everywhere he went, he still did not know how to talk to them. Perhaps if Mat had been here... or Perrin... his friends had always had an easy way with girls.

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:26 AM

Suduvu predicted a Jaime win but the fans voted Rand, albeit close.

I liked GRRM's bit, even tho' he 'cheated' by using Wild Cards characters instead of staying within SIF.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:40 AM

I think Rand should be won seriously, but this is just his interpretation I guess.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#19 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:42 AM

Where's Rake in that matchup?

edit: The real combatant in this should be named as Tyrion, not Jaime :p.
Also, I'm not so sure about Rake's chances against Tyrion...

This post has been edited by Gothos: 13 April 2010 - 07:58 AM

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#20 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

View PostGothos, on 13 April 2010 - 07:42 AM, said:

Where's Rake in that matchup?

edit: The real combatant in this should be named as Tyrion, not Jaime :thumbsup:.
Also, I'm not so sure about Rake's chances against Tyrion...

It would be a very interesting match up. Considering the stuff Rake has put together over time.
Or to keep things truly even:

Kellanved (sans ascension) vs. Tyrion
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users