• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sushi chomp chomp chomp

#21 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:59 PM

yeah but you don't call pork beef now do you?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#22 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

I'm surprised it's expensive everywhere. Vancouver really spoiled me I guess.

Got used to 10 dollar all u can eat sushi I guess. Even paying by the roll/piece/plate it was never more than a 15 dollar meal.

Out here, Halifax is the closest city with decent sushis. It's almost invariably a 25-30 dollar meal.

Meh, I only have it once in awhile, so no biggie.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

Good sushi makes me happy.

Great sushi makes me very happy.

The abundance of bad sushi in Ontario makes me extremely UNhappy.

Montreal and Vancouver for the sushiwin!

- Abyss, so hip it hurts.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

Hey Tapper, when I hit up the fish market this coming saturday morning, I'll think of you! :p

Aji, hirame (flounder), salmon and katsuo (bonito) are my absolute favorites. These days I buy fish and do sashimi at home, but if I eat sushi I go to the 100yen a plate kaiten (conveyer belt) place by my work. That's a cheap way to enjoy a lot of decent sushi. Maybe once or twice a year I'll go to a fancy place. And by fancy, I mean you eat what the chef gives you and there are no prices and no menues.

I do like some of the crazy american roll concoctions when I'm visiting the States, especially the spicy ones, but you can't find anything similar in Japan. There's tuna rolls, negi-toro rolls and cucumber rolls for normal sushi, and then the big futou-maki that they cram all sorts or crazy stuff like kelp and egg into. Those are good, but not really sushi per se.

If any of you get the chance, try real fresh grated wasabi. It without a doubt beats that powder/horseradish/greenpaste stuff that is the normal fare.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#25 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

I've had Vancouver-ish sushi, and found it kinda meh - it's just not for me I guess. I'd rather have something a bit more substantial....
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#26 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:47 PM

Not a fan of the stuff but I'll eat it if there's nothing else.

#27 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

It's the best - although Sashimi is the bomb.

#28 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:23 AM

I do like Sushi and I got me a 'how to' book about a year ago and bought the necessaries from my local deli in Cardiff (had to get some bits from the Japanese Shop online (it's in Londinium somewhere). Making it yourself is ace and tastes way better than the grossly overpriced and stodgy stuff from the Boots fridge!
It's enjoyable to make it, tastes great, is healthy and actually doesn't cost too much for genuine ingredients in the UK.
Victory is mine!

#29 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

I know next to nothing about sushi, can never even remember the difference between the various types. But I certainly do like to eat it. Don't know any quality places around here but there's a couple all-you-can-eat ones that are decent and cheap so we occasionally get together a few friends and go have sushi-brunch. My favourite would probably be anything with crab.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#30 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:34 AM

Just stay away from the blue-fin tuna peoples. Let's not contribute to overfishing. :)
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#31 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

Yay for sushi practically being fast food here! (If slightly more expensive)
And my dad makes sashimi almost every time he goes fishing

I want sushi now. And my favourite sushi place closed two and a half hours ago :)
*Men's Frights Activist*

#32 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:39 AM

View PostShinrei, on 19 March 2010 - 03:34 AM, said:

Just stay away from the blue-fin tuna peoples. Let's not contribute to overfishing. :)

I don't think you can get that in canada, at least not easily without paying an obscene amount of money.

Even yellowfin is hellishly expensive. Yummy fish but not worth the cost at all.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#33 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

I love sushi, but it's tricky. I won't eat it at a questionable place, but at the same time it tastes so much of it to fill me up I need to find a place where it's relatively cheap.

There's a high-end asian buffet near my house that is my go to place. I normally won't touch beffet sushi, but this place is top notch. 30 bucks a plate, but the quality is higher than you hve ever seen at a buffet.

I like the eel. Unagi ftw. Octopus is a bit too chewy for me. Some of the rolls are good, but I have a psychological problem of always feeling like asian people are judging me, so I don't eat many rolls because it makes me feel like a dumb american.

Oddly that buffet is called Blue Fin, but I'm not sure if they actually serve blue fin tuna or not.
Error: Signature not valid

#34 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

I thought bluefin was officially endangered but wiki says it isn't.

Still classified as "vulnerable", which is next best thing (or next worse thing I guess)

Considering how low populations have to be, even for vulnerable status, I'd feel pretty bad eating one.

Buffet sushi was my life in Vancouver...but I know it was going to catch up with me sometime. Probably better I need to pay for occasional premium sushi now.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#35 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:35 PM

I miss sushi

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

View PostFrosty McFrostface, on 08 January 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

I miss sushi

Do you live somewhere now where Sushi is entirely unavailable?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#37 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 January 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

I miss sushi

There's a sushi place an hour's drive away, but it's... not good. I need to find a reason to go down to Toronto/Ottawa sometime soon... they're no BC, but a lot better than what's up here.

Maybe I can buy frozen sashimi-grade fish and store it long-term for next time I get cravings? Or is that how I poison myself?

#38 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:15 PM

I live directly, I mean directly, above a sushi restaurant/ takeaway.

now I'm not a sushi person, raw fish does not appeal to me, smoked salmon is the closest I'll go. but their Seared salmon Nigiri thing is fucking awesome.

the guy working there is adamant he will have me eating proper sushi before I leave London. keeps trying to sneak it in as a wee free extra every time I order there (most thursday nights)

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

View PostFrosty McFrostface, on 08 January 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 January 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

I miss sushi

There's a sushi place an hour's drive away, but it's... not good. I need to find a reason to go down to Toronto/Ottawa sometime soon... they're no BC, but a lot better than what's up here.

Maybe I can buy frozen sashimi-grade fish and store it long-term for next time I get cravings? Or is that how I poison myself?

Ah, that sucks. I guess I'm spoiled for choice as we not only live above a sushi place, but there are at least ten in a two block radius...plus the grocery stores generally sell half-decent stuff to bring home in a pinch.

If/when you do come to Toronto, it's a bit higher priced than your average sushi place, but my absolute favourite teppanyaki place also have a great sushi a la carte menu. It's called Yamato, and is in Yorkville. WELL worth the extra coin to sit and have a meal.

hope you get a chance to have some soon. I don't know what I would do with little-to-no access to Japanese food. It's a weekly staple at our place.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#40 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

Why does everyone live above a sushi place?!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users