• You cannot reply to this topic

Deadhouse Gates US First Edition

#1 User is offline   Rugburn 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Collecting First and Limited Edition Books
    Reading Fantasy & Science Fiction

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

I have been having quite a bit of trouble tracking down a US Hardcover 1st edition of Deadhouse Gates. I have read a couple of things that might explain this.

1) Tor released both a trade paperback (the big kind) and a hardcover simultaneously. Anyone know if this is true?
2) The hardcover release had a very small print run. Can anyone confirm/deny?

If anyone knows more about this, or better yet, where I can find a US Hardcover 1st of Deadhouse Gates, I would appreciate it!

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:43 PM

Uhm. I don't think there's ever been a hardcover of DG. They only began doing that with the release of Reapers Gale.

Of course, what do I know, maybe they've started producing hard cover versions of all the older books and I'm talking out my ass.

(Hello, humanoids, this is Apts colon speaking to you! It is very dark in here...)

EDIT: Are you perhaps getting confused by the fact that a year or so ago a special limited edition of GOTM with illustrations was released in hardcover?

A similar version of DG is in the works but no where done.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 10 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

#3 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

Silly Apt. Just because Bantam was lazy with the hardcovers doesn't mean that Tor was. Tor did, in fact, release hardcovers of all of the MBotF books upon first publication.

So yes, it exists. I know recent releases have seen the HC and the TPB published simultaneously, and a glance at the publisher's page for DG implies that the same held true for the early books.

Its ISBN is 0-765-31002-3, and it's pretty easy to find at online book sellers, like eBay and AbeBooks (links go to search results). Just make sure you get the full-sized hardcover, and not the slightly-smaller SFBC (book club) edition.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 10 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#4 User is offline   Rugburn 

• Recruit

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:18 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 10 March 2010 - 10:34 PM, said:

Its ISBN is 0-765-31002-3, and it's pretty easy to find at online book sellers, like eBay and AbeBooks (links go to search results).

Actually, these are my two mainstays for finding books. Abe has nothing, and the booksellers on eBay are not specific about the printings. I send them questions, but most of the time they don't understand what I'm asking or they have such a large inventory checking a copyright page is impossible.

#5 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

The hardback definitely exists, I own one. It's worth looking on Amazon marketplace, I've found some very good deals on there him the past, and as long as you have the right isbn, it should be easy to verify :)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#6 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

Did the Tor hardcover of DG even have a second printing?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#7 User is offline   Rugburn 

• Recruit

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:09 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 11 March 2010 - 02:12 PM, said:

Did the Tor hardcover of DG even have a second printing?

Salt-man, you sir, just might be a genius. I am not sure how to check this...but you very well could be right. Maybe I will take a chance and buy one to see.

#8 User is offline   Rugburn 

• Recruit

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:08 AM

Still no luck.

So many online sellers on ABE and Biblio have no idea how to identify a first edition! I've received two book club editions that I've had to return because booksellers incorrectly assured me that they were first editions. The main problem in my opinion is an ISBN has been given to the BCE (this is a new trend, I take it) and that ISBN is the same as the Trade HC 1st. I am having a hell of a time finding this one! If anyone sees one, please point me in the right direction!

#9 User is offline   Rugburn 

• Recruit

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

Well I found one...sort of. It's an ex-lib, but it'll serve as a fine placeholder until a clean one can be located.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users