Malazan Empire: Escape from the Azath - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Escape from the Azath Temper is just a man, how the hell did he get out of the Azath?

#1 User is offline   Iskar Jarak 

• Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:46 PM

The Azath captures and holds the most powerful entities, I know Temper is incredibly strong but surely the Azath should have pulled him down. In NoK I thought Temper was killed/entombed when Possum knocked him into the Deadhouse garden but then Kiska sees him clambering over the wall with a branch (presumably from one of the trees in the garden) in his hand and I'm left there thinking how the hell did he get out of one. I remember Temper thinking that lunging at one of the trees was his last chance but I didn't think he would make it. Please, how did Temper free himself from the Deadhouse?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

The Azath was distracted. There was a small battle going on in the grounds.

#3 User is offline   Gathras 

• Recruit

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

Next to being distracted I think that the Azath wasn't so interested in Temper (Ok, I am not even sure whether the Azath possesses something like interest...) and as you say, Temper may be strong but he isn't really powerful. I think the Azath was simply preoccupied with some more interesting persons around him.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

My point exactly, there were lots of little humanoids to keep an eye on (magic users among them) and Temper specifically was not interesting enough to warrant special attention.

#5 User is offline   Abberon 

• Fist

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

The Azath can be selective. It didn't want Temper. There are plenty of powerful beings that have walked in and out untouched. Kellanved and Dancer are a couple of good examples. Gothos is another.

Wasn't Temper helping the Azath anyways? To keep that Jaghut biatch trapped? I don't really remember. Either way, I think Temper has practically ascended so he is powerfu.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

At the point where it grabbed him he had not yet been chosen as a Keeper.

It wasn't being selective, it did try and take him, it just wasn't trying very hard. Probably it didn't view Temper as big thread since he was simple mortal warrior.

#7 User is offline   Abberon 

• Fist

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

Aptorian, on 23 March 2010 - 05:32 PM, said:

At the point where it grabbed him he had not yet been chosen as a Keeper. It wasn't being selective, it did try and take him, it just wasn't trying very hard. Probably it didn't view Temper as big thread since he was simple mortal warrior.
The fact that it 'choses' Keepers likely means it has some sort of intelligence/will. If it can choose a Keeper, it can choose who to capture. When it will grab and hold something as nasty as Silchas Ruin and fail to grab something like Temper (even if it's distracted) you have to assume that it just didn't want him that much. Kellanved and Dancer again, made it through fine and went about mapping the Azath. The Azath didn't seem to mind overmuch.

This post has been edited by Abberon: 24 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

It might have been testing him.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   Lousy 

• Lieutenant

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:09 AM

worrywort, on 05 April 2010 - 10:56 AM, said:

It might have been testing him.

This is pretty much what I've been thinking ... testing him on the way to possibly becoming a Keeper. Or maybe it has intelligence, even precognition, and knew of Temper's impending Keeper-hood..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users