Malazan Empire: Farlander by Col Buchanan - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Farlander by Col Buchanan Good new debut...

#1 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:26 AM

This one seems to have got some pushing by the publisher, and releasing a debut book as a hardback certainly implies confidence by the publisher, but has curiously little internet presence- I'm not sure why. Dunno if it's out in the US yet, if it's not that could explain it.

Anyway, it's about a legendary assassin taking on an apprentice against the backdrop of a city struggling against an invading empire marked by cruelty and nihilism. Obviously, to those who have read Brent Weeks Night Angel books, that'll sound familiar, but it's a different beast. There's little magic, for starters, the whole tone of the story is more serious, and he has a 'no-one is safe' attitude that would make GRRM proud. There's also a difference in that the assassins aren't politically or personally motivated- basically, they're a sort of hands-off protection by having clients wear a seal that tells the world that if they die, the order will pursue vendetta against them, whatever the cost, until they die.

It's got an interesting way of pacing. He's got the main plot of the book, and that's quite a narrow focus, but he also takes time to set out wider implications for the series he's building. This means that the pacing feels deliberate, especially for a book that's quite slim by genre standards at 400 pages long, but never slow. I should note that the blurb (front flap, not back cover) covers nearly half the book, and while it's quite a reasonable one- it'd be difficult to entice the reader while saying less, and it didn't impact the enjoyment for me, although the results of certain events are obvious in advance because of it- I know that might bother some people, so don't read it if it could.

Anyway, Buchanan is a dab hand with an action scene- this is the sword and dagger type of assassination, and he's very good at it- knows how to build tension, and has built an interesting world- he manages, in a mostly magic-less world, to make guns and swords and airships in the same setting feel eminently plausible, and there's a detail to the worldbuilding that gives it life - his real strength, I think, is in character. He doesn't have to spend long with a person for us to get to know them, and he manages to give even what could have been a histerically cartoonish villain a bit of depth.

Long story short; assassins, vendetta, airships, fighting, twists, brutality, characters, swordfighting... fun. It's the third debut I've read this year (NK Jemisin and Paul Hoffman being the other two) and it's the best one by a fair bit. Highly recommended.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 06 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#2 User is offline   murf99 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:35 PM

Been waiting for this one. Not out in Canada yet. Looking forward to it though. Have heard a lot of good reviews.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Just read FARLANDER along with the sequel STANDS A SHADOW.

Posted this elsethread...

Read FARLANDER and the sequel STANDS A SHADOW, and just like that Col Buchanan moved onto my pre-order list. What's amazing is that there's nothing particularly innately original about the books... evil religious empire, fanatic political priests, secretive order of assassins, jaded old veteran, naive apprentice, last stand for freedom, scared mid-level soldier, guns n swords, skyships etc etc.... we've seen it all before and many times before... but Buchanan does it SO well, and writes such great great characters and some brilliant action scenes that despite that lack the series drew me in and grabbed me and didn't let me go until i finished the second book and immediately went looking for a street date for bk 3 (which, sadly, isn't out yet).

Worth your time and money.

below here, SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS FOR FARLANDER

AND STANDS A SHADOW YES

SPOILERS
EVIL HAUNTING SPOILERS THAT WILL CREEP
OUT
IN THE NIGHT AND ASSASSINATE YOU WITH THEIR SPOILERY
SPOILERBLADES OF SPOILEROUSITY
YES THAT IS A WORD PUNK YOU
WANNA MAKE SOMETHING OF IT
SPOILERS

Spoiler

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

It seems the third one should be out this year in the UK, according to Tor - though it has no title yet.

What I thought made this series stand out from others is that, although as you say it's not that original in overall content,

Spoiler

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

Guns, airships and swordfighting... so what sort of setting is this in? Steampunky at all?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

No, not really. Can't really go into detail without a few spoilers, but the tech levels are mostly fairly medieval with just a few more advanced elements (which sounds nonsensical but works in the context).

#7 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

The premise sounded too like Weeks for my liking, but after reading this thread I think I'll try it

#8 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

I thought the book was pretty good, definitely a cool idea. I've been meaning to get to the sequel but my TRP has been a bit long recently. Anyway, for all the US folks, you can pick up the hardcover of Farlander for $2.28 here, it's been really cheap since I got the book in August.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostMacros, on 05 March 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

The premise sounded too like Weeks for my liking, but after reading this thread I think I'll try it

I had that thought initially too Macros, but Buchanan goes in a very different direction in all respects.
Trust me, Nico is not Kylar, Ash could not be more different from Durzo, and the Roshum are nothing like the Wetboys.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

Just discovered bk3 THE BLACK DREAM is out (tnx PG).

...in the UK only, apparently.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 May 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

what you think of the Fierce Gods sequel hook? I don't think the ending so far quite lived up to the excellent opening two books but I'd really wanna read more in this world, especially if he explores the hinted-at elements.

SPOILERS
SPOILERS

SPOILERS FOR ENTIRE SERIES
SPOILERS
I really enjoyed FIERCE. It was a much tighter read than BLACK DREAM... in a sense it was the payoff to that book because all the disconnected storylines... the siege, the Diplomat, the Roshum, the quest to bring back Niko, the dreamers.... all tied together very nicely. My biggest issue with BLACK was the disconnect and this book showed Buchanan knew what he was doing.
I almost agree that books 1 and 2 were 'better' stories, but 3 and 4 really gave us a more interesting world and wider cast to solid payoff. I was very curious whether Ash would stay dead and how the book would flow without him, but between the various povs I didn't miss him beyond the loss of a great character. Niko nicely allowed Ash to remain an influence tho, which was a nice touch.
The larger hints... yeah, I would like to know where that was going. The Fallen working with Coye and the Few, and now Niko, to save the mess of a post war world, would be something I would like to read.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users