• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DoD Lostara Yil says "Pearl?" Am I missing something Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Fenner's Teats 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

When Lostara witnesses lightning come out of the disturbance in the sky and strike/vaporize QB she says "Pearl?"......I don't get it. I have seen a reference somewhere by someone saying that Pearl isn't really Pearl.....I also don't get that....can someone help me out on this one? I thought Pearl died a pretty horrible death!

#2 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

I think she thinks she is about to die, so her mind just goes back to the one man she's really loved. IMO, there are no hidden secrets behind it. She is just thinking about the man she loves.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#3 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

so glad Pearl is dead. If he were brought back, I would have to consider quitting the series.

But my impression is the same as "Lister of Smeg".

This post has been edited by foolio: 01 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#4 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:16 AM

Pearl was an awesome character. Hated him, loved reading about him. Not to mention, his POV's are almost always useful.
The mention of Pearl is related to her obsessive compulsive behaviour. that damned knife!

#5 User is offline   Topper 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Psychology (Abnormal Behavior/Personality)
    Languages

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:36 PM

foolio, on 01 March 2010 - 09:12 PM, said:

so glad Pearl is dead. If he were brought back, I would have to consider quitting the series.

I little piece inside of me died when I read your post.
‘Keep on like that and I’ll drop a rock on your head while you sleep.’

"I'm harmless, the non-violent kind of psycho."

'"If a tree falls in the woods and there is nobody there to hear it, does it makes a sound?"' the answer is an unequivocal "no." The falling tree simply produces waves of energy. The experience of "sound" is a phenomenon of the auditory system.'

#6 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

Topper, on 24 June 2010 - 08:36 PM, said:

I little piece inside of me died when I read your post.

sorry holmes, not trying to kill you one piece at a time.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

Lostara and Tavore had just been near zapped by the Nahruk's zappy-weapons, so Lostara was shook up and probably concussed and somewhat crispy. Having spent the last two books agonizing over sticking a knife in Pearl's convulsing near-dead body back in TB, and probably wondering whether she herself was dead, that's where her scattered brain went first.

Then Massive Letherii Horse Dude showed up to rescue her and got carved up and Lostara snapped out of her funk and cracked open a can of Shadow Dance Lizard Ass Kick in one of the mostest awesomest moments in the book that we didn't get to see.

All of which is to say, Pearl is still dead. Lostara just thought she was joining him for a minute there.

- Abyss, Shadow Drinker.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

Yes.

Lostara = confused after getting zappity zapped.

Shadow dance should have been given a chapter to itself with full descriptions of curvaceous legs and flexibility-required moves.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#9 User is offline   pachyderm 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

Fenner, on 01 March 2010 - 05:02 PM, said:

When Lostara witnesses lightning come out of the disturbance in the sky and strike/vaporize QB she says "Pearl?"......I don't get it. I have seen a reference somewhere by someone saying that Pearl isn't really Pearl.....I also don't get that....can someone help me out on this one? I thought Pearl died a pretty horrible death!

I got the impression she was referencing Pearl the demon. Although I don't remember if he died in TtH fighting chaos, if he didn't, he'd be released from dragnipur... And in GotM it is said Pearl has the capability to flatten entire cities - which is pretty much what happened to Quick Ben and the KCNR... Also Lostara is a shadow dancer and there is seems to be some sort of connection to shadow and Pearl - but that may just be in my head. There was a connection to her and Quick Ben though...

#10 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

pachyderm, on 25 June 2010 - 04:46 PM, said:

I got the impression she was referencing Pearl the demon. Although I don't remember if he died in TtH fighting chaos, if he didn't, he'd be released from dragnipur... And in GotM it is said Pearl has the capability to flatten entire cities - which is pretty much what happened to Quick Ben and the KCNR... Also Lostara is a shadow dancer and there is seems to be some sort of connection to shadow and Pearl - but that may just be in my head. There was a connection to her and Quick Ben though...

Er, that's a bit of a stretch... Lostara slept with QB once as a young woman, presumably long before QB stole one of Tayschrenn's Korvalah demons (whose name QB did not yet know). And he did that under a fake identity. How would Lostara know the name of a random demon of Tayschrenn's that QB would steal under a false identity years after her only significant encounter with him???

(Also Korvalah have nothing to do with Shadow Dancing)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#11 User is offline   pachyderm 

• Recruit

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

D, on 25 June 2010 - 04:57 PM, said:

pachyderm, on 25 June 2010 - 04:46 PM, said:

Er, that's a bit of a stretch... Lostara slept with QB once as a young woman, presumably long before QB stole one of Tayschrenn's Korvalah demons (whose name QB did not yet know). And he did that under a fake identity. How would Lostara know the name of a random demon of Tayschrenn's that QB would steal under a false identity years after her only significant encounter with him???

(Also Korvalah have nothing to do with Shadow Dancing)

I agree that sounds like a stretch. Let me revise my idea. I'm thinking Lostara's shell-shocked utterance of Pearl (the man) was a hint by Erikson that the power behind the explosion that seemingly took out QB and did the KCNR was indeed Pearl the demon. Pearl the demon should be released from Dragnipur and perhaps still under the influence of QB. I wouldn't be surprised if QB was able to tap/request Pearl's powers and, if he's alive, escape through warren.

I don't think it would be contradictory of Erikson's style to finally show us the power of the Korvalahrai demons in such an obscure fashion.

#12 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

Only problem with your theory is that as far as I recall, Pearl died in the battle against Chaos. After the battle Draconus goes to the place where Pearl did his last stand, or so I think.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#13 User is offline   pachyderm 

• Recruit

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

Bauchelain the Evil, on 29 June 2010 - 06:03 PM, said:

Only problem with your theory is that as far as I recall, Pearl died in the battle against Chaos. After the battle Draconus goes to the place where Pearl did his last stand, or so I think.

See, I wasn't sure if I remembered if he died. I couldn't find the passage though. Now that you reminded me of Draconus's scene I found the passage. Thanks a lot. Maybe he'll pull a greyfog. j/k - but one can hope.

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

Pearl the demon was Dragnipur'd by Rake in GotM. His soul 'died' battling Chaos in TtH. He does not appear in DoD in any way, shape or form that we know of.

Pearl the man died at the end of TB. Apsalar carved him up and threw in a dose of white paralt. Lostara mercy-killed him and spent a chunk of RG and DoD angsting about it.

Lostara never, as far as we know, ever encountered DemonPearl.

There is one throwaway comment in HoC that hints ManPearl and DemonPearl may have met, but that's near utter speculation on my part and highly unlikely. (ManPearls refs a past encounter with a demon, not other details and don't ask me for a quote :p ).

Lostara and QB never had sex. Per HoC, QB did watch Lostara dance when QB, Kalam and Dancer were raiding Bidithal's Rashani cult back in the day at Kellanved's request. Lostara was so turned on by QB's attention that she actually caused the warren to manifest. But that was it. They never spoke again. Cotillion tells Lostara that QB looked for her after the raid but never found her.

#15 User is offline   Hellian's Keg Lid 

• Shiksa Goddess

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

Quick should have known better, only Andii-descendants get anywhere with the Yil, pfft.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#16 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:18 AM

[quote name='Abyss' date='30 June 2010 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1277909589' post='775113']
Lostara and QB never had sex. Per HoC, QB did watch Lostara dance when QB, Kalam and Dancer were raiding Bidithal's Rashani cult back in the day at Kellanved's request. Lostara was so turned on by QB's attention that she actually caused the warren to manifest. But that was it. They never spoke again. Cotillion tells Lostara that QB looked for her after the raid but never found her.
[/quote]

( was supposed to get around to correcting this weeks ago)

[quote name='HoC, UK mmpb, p.390]
Lostara knew more of what had happened that night in the Rashan Tempe of Ehrlitan than anyone else barring the players themselves, for Lostara had been the only resident to be spared. Or so she had believed for a long time, until the name of Bidithal rose once more, from Sha'ik's Apocalypse army.
Ah, I was more than spared that night, wasn't I?
Delat's lovely, long-fingered hands...

[/quote]

They totally had sex. That or QB just stroked her hair with his fingers all night.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:54 AM

[quote name='D'rek' date='11 July 2010 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1278901096' post='778579']

...Ah, I was more than spared that night, wasn't I?

[/quote]

They totally had sex. That or QB just stroked her hair with his fingers all night.
[/quote]

Unless i recall incorrectly, Lostara would have been pretty young at the time. I took that as fantasy.

#18 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

[quote name='Abyss' date='12 July 2010 - 12:54 AM' timestamp='1278910491' post='778591']
[quote name='D'rek' date='11 July 2010 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1278901096' post='778579']
...Ah, I was more than spared that night, wasn't I?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Unless i recall incorrectly, Lostara would have been pretty young at the time. I took that as fantasy.
[/quote]

We don't know. She is selected to begin learning to Shadow Dance at 9, but it doesn't say for how long aside from "years". She could easily be 16 or older by the time the purges come and c'mon, we all know QB's a raging pedophile.

Furthermore, just after the temple is purged she's apparently old enough that QB would've made her a BB, and she's old enough to go join the Red Blades...

This post has been edited by D'rek: 12 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

#19 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

But my impression is the same as "Lister of Smeg".

(spoilers and such below, maybe, possibly, likely and such ...for all those who might want to point to it, i'll save you the trouble)

i liked pearl more than kalam.
to be honest i never understood the value of kalam, i mean yeah, he took out 7 guys alone and barely survived, but so what ?
he was a dead weight character, needed to go out.
pearl on the other hand was the guy on the other team you could always hope would come to, cross over to the good side ...
it's a shame he wasn't given the chance, by a righteous
Spoiler

also, and this is something i could be wrong about, is kalam the only claw assasin without magic skills ?
i seem to recall that he could sense warrens and their type, but aside from that ?
i don't understand how he won against magic user assasins.

This post has been edited by haroos: 12 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

#20 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

haroos, on 12 July 2010 - 06:16 PM, said:

also, and this is something i could be wrong about, is kalam the only claw assasin without magic skills ?

Hardly. But there's at least one magic user in every Hand that can open gateways for the rest and such. Plus the Claw have access to tons of invested items and equipment.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users