Malazan Empire: Has the Seguleh First appeared in any of the books? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has the Seguleh First appeared in any of the books? WARNING - SPOILERS FOR LATER BOOKS SPOILERS SPOILERS

#1 User is offline   Johnny Phoenix 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:10 PM

ModGod Warning of SPOILERS for many books after MoI - despite the OP asking for no spoilers, asking if a character appears is intrinsically a spoiler as knowing the character will appear will spoil that for you and possibly ruin your enjoyment of later books, life, food and sex, and require decades of very expensive therapy and/or drugs and alcohol. Subsequent posts refer to characters appearing in later books by SE and ICE. If you don't want to know, don't read.

Just curious. I am almost finished HoC and aside from Icarium I found the Seguleh to be some of the most fascinating characters in the series so far. After three take down entire armies, K'ell Hunters and of course Mok's ownage of Tool, I'm dying to be introduced to the First. With the third being so skilled I could only imagine that the First would be able to take apart even Karsa or Rake. Please don't post any spoilers, I just want to know if I will be encountering the First at some point. If not, do you guys think he's being saved for The Crippled God? It would seem strange if Erikson doesn't introduce him at all after building so much intrigue around him... or her.

#2 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:38 PM

I haven't read DoD yet but so far, no, the First has not been in any of the books. I have been curious as well to see what the First could do...

#3 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

At the moment, no. And I don't think we will see him in tCG either, he is just one of those characters you hear a bit about, but never get around to actually witnessing.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#4 User is offline   anothevilbadguy 

• Sergeant

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

View PostSindriss, on 19 February 2010 - 06:48 PM, said:

At the moment, no. And I don't think we will see him in tCG either, he is just one of those characters you hear a bit about, but never get around to actually witnessing.

I think there is a decent chance that he will appear in ICE's Darujhistan book. It will certainly involve Seguleh quite centrally.

#5 User is offline   Johnny Phoenix 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:27 AM

Hmm... I plan on reading ICE's books after I finish the main series. I certainly hope that the First still appears in The Crippled God. It would really suck if Erikson decided to leave the First a total mystery.

#6 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:41 AM

I think he'll appear sometime. Perhaps in the Toblakai trilogy or in one of ICE's forthcoming novels.
Maybe he spends his holidays on Assail - with these Seguleh... you never know.

Btw. ICE's books are intertwined with the main story arc, i.e. some of ICE's characters appear in Steven's novels and vice versa and ROTCG drastically changes certain ... things. :laughing:

This post has been edited by Harvester: 20 February 2010 - 12:56 AM

#7 User is offline   Johnny Phoenix 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:01 AM

How are they in comparison to Eriksons books? I've heard they are weaker.

#8 User is offline   anothevilbadguy 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:10 AM

View PostJohnny_Phoenix, on 20 February 2010 - 02:01 AM, said:

How are they in comparison to Eriksons books? I've heard they are weaker.

They are not as good, but still pretty excellent. Plus, there is less musing, which some people like (not me). RotCG is a marked improvement on Night of the Knives, and shows he can pretty much keep up with SE in juggling a multi-threaded narrative.
His characterisation is not as strong overall, in my opinion, but certain characters he deals with better than SE. Another negative, is he isnt as funny as SE, but SE makes me laugh more than any other author.

Overall, it is certainly worth picking them up, and RotCG is pretty much awesome, and whilst not integral to the main arc, it ties up threads that SE had started.

#9 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:44 PM

View PostJohnny_Phoenix, on 20 February 2010 - 12:27 AM, said:

Hmm... I plan on reading ICE's books after I finish the main series. I certainly hope that the First still appears in The Crippled God. It would really suck if Erikson decided to leave the First a total mystery.

Would it? I agree, he's much more likely to appear in ICE's books, but it's entirely possible that we'll never see him - I don't think that we will ever get a chapter based on the Seguleh island, and by the looks of it he never leaves there...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#10 User is offline   Johnny Phoenix 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:06 AM

Well I was thinking that in the last book a whole bunch of the most powerful characters will have to get together to take on the Crippled God. This is relatively blind speculation for me since I'm only just finishing HoC. I'm pretty sure Erikson is going to throw a lot of twists my way with the next books but if he does decide to go the route of a good ol' epic showdown and given the Crippled Gods strength I could see the most powerful characters in the world teaming up for the final fight. That being said, the First would be with them.

#11 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

I don't want the First to appear in the books - it would ruin the mystique. There's only so much fangasming we can do along the lines of 'OMGWTFBBQ HE JUST KILLED A MOTHERFUCKING DRAGON!' until we realise the things in our head were much cooler.

That's why I'm worried about ICE's novels. He's dealing with some of the biggest mysteries in the series - the Stormriders, Assail, the Tyrant of Darujhistan - I'm worried what's actually happening will be less cool than it possibly could have been. I hope to God I'm wrong, but still.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#12 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:49 PM

Not yet. I believe this is because the appearance in print of the First would cause such a concentration of awesome in one place that the book would collapse into a black hole. And SE doesn't want that to happen.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#13 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:39 AM

Heh.

:)
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#14 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:02 AM

I thought the Sequleh First was Iskaral Pust who is actually Yoda in disguise. Well, maybe not

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

MODGOD NOTICE OF MULTIPLE POSTS REFERRING TO DETAILS IN LATER BOOKS DELETED.
THIS IS THE MOI FORUM. THERE IS A LINE. IT WAS CROSSED.
MORE LIKE ZIG-ZAGGED.
WHATEVER.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#16 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Took you long enough to get around to this, didn't it?
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 09 February 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

Took you long enough to figure out that there were a chunk of more recent posts, including one reported this am, that were deleted, didn't it?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 February 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 09 February 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

Took you long enough to figure out that there were a chunk of more recent posts, including one reported this am, that were deleted, didn't it?

...This is a possibility.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#19 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

Don't be snarky, it's mean!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#20 User is offline   TabbyFL55 

• Recruit

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Spoiler

I don't think the above statement really spoil all that much.. but what the hey.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users