Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quick Ben's acorns? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Burns Sleep 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

Quick Ben unleashes a bag full of acorns on the Nah'ruk. But, we never get a POV on who or what they are. So, any theories?

Also, in the Epilogue of the BH, Tay admits being QB's shaved knuckle in the hole. So, why doesn't QB call for some help against the Nah'ruk?

#2 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:17 PM

Remember when QB gave Kalam an acorn, and Kalam threw it to the ground and QB knew he needed help?

We do not have a POV for what happened in that battle after the Letherri engaged with their phalanx and the heavies held the lizards. Perhaps QB did call for help. Perhaps it arrived. We don't know until tCG.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

If I recall correctly, the interesting thing about the acorns was that he seemed to be speaking to them.

As for what they are, untill he actually spoke to them, we were assuming they were just invested objects. Quicks own versions of the Jaghut finnests. A homing beacon, a storage of power, an extra ear, pretty much only the imagination sets the limit.

#4 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

View PostAptorian, on 16 February 2010 - 03:29 PM, said:

If I recall correctly, the interesting thing about the acorns was that he seemed to be speaking to them.

As for what they are, untill he actually spoke to them, we were assuming they were just invested objects. Quicks own versions of the Jaghut finnests. A homing beacon, a storage of power, an extra ear, pretty much only the imagination sets the limit.

They are obviously a link to other people/things. The question is who or what. Due to RotCG, it seems that Tays probably wasn't involved.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hmm. Interesting Crazy theory. Perhaps, Tays only link back to the Mortal world right now, is one of Quicks Acorns. The Shaved Knuckle now needs a Shaved Knuckle.

#6 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

View PostAptorian, on 16 February 2010 - 03:42 PM, said:

Hmm. Interesting Crazy theory. Perhaps, Tays only link back to the Mortal world right now, is one of Quicks Acorns. The Shaved Knuckle now needs a Shaved Knuckle.

I was wondering the same thing, perhaps he busts out where his acorn is and the backlash of chaos pushes the lizards back?

#7 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

Now, I still have a chapter to go until I finish DoD, but I have seen these acorns once already, and I'm pretty darn sure he tells them to focus on the drones who are the foci of the kep'rah lightnings. Wouldn't this mean that they were invested objects that could home in on an enemy to destroy said enemy and not a call for help? Methinks Quick just uses acorns as his 'item of choice' for doing magical things with. They don't always have to be calls for help like in GotM.

#8 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

Terribly sorry to be necroing a thread from 4 years back.

But...

Is it possible that the acorns are extensions of those threads he has tied to other people? He talks to the acorns and says to focus on the 'nodes' and then immediately afterwards Fiddler suddenly tells his soldiers to focus on the 'nodes' as well (using the exact same choice of words). Then a couple pages later Hedge uses the exact same terminology.

I mean it could be that they're not stupid and realize the nodes are important targets and SE just found a word he liked and stuck to it. But that's no fun.
Or maybe everyone already assumed this and I'm late to the party.

QB: 'Little acorns, listen. Go for the drones—the ones with the packs. Forget the rest . . . for now.'

FID: 'Crossbows at the ready!' Fiddler yelled. 'Go for the nodes!'

HEDGE: 'Check your munitions! Switch to Blue. You hear me? Blues! And aim for that front line! Nodes, lads and lasses, those white lumps!'

Professional necromancer over and out.

This post has been edited by Dadding: 30 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

#9 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:14 AM

All great Bridgeburners think alike! Also QB is nuts!

#10 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:31 AM

View PostDadding, on 30 July 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

But...

Is it possible that the acorns are extensions of those threads he has tied to other people? He talks to the acorns and says to focus on the 'nodes' and then immediately afterwards Fiddler suddenly tells his soldiers to focus on the 'nodes' as well (using the exact same choice of words). Then a couple pages later Hedge uses the exact same terminology.

I mean it could be that they're not stupid and realize the nodes are important targets and SE just found a word he liked and stuck to it. But that's no fun.

QB: 'Little acorns, listen. Go for the drones—the ones with the packs. Forget the rest . . . for now.'

HEDGE: 'Check your munitions! Switch to Blue. You hear me? Blues! And aim for that front line! Nodes, lads and lasses, those white lumps!'

That is an awesome theory.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#11 User is offline   melonhead 

• Lieutenant

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:33 AM

View PostDadding, on 30 July 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

But...

That is definitely my favourite theory. I would like to say I made the connection myself, but alas...
That's a very cool theory.
Do you think God stays in heaven because he too, lives in fear of what he's created?Steve BuscemiSpy Kids 2

#12 User is offline   pathos 

• Captain
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

I always just saw it as the old bridge burners showing their experience and taking the lead while not panicking but it could be :)
You never have the same problem twice when you set it on fire

#13 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

I think the idea that they are communication units is great. Any idea if SE is a Trekkie?

At the time I thought that the acorns would be Korvalah demons.

#14 User is offline   anuj92 

• Recruit

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:04 PM

Maybe the acorns are trapped demons?

#15 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:06 PM

Could it have been him calling Cotillion? I mean we know he showed up there and took over Yil, maybe he shows up because quick summons him, then he takes over Lostara.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users