Magic & The Gods Exclusive, or related? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:18 AM

View PostD, on 16 February 2010 - 03:30 AM, said:

View PostMTS, on 16 February 2010 - 03:01 AM, said:

The power he channels is D'riss, though, so the point is moot, really.

Not at all. There's an important distinction between worshipping a god and worshipping a warren - as Kulp says, no one worships the means

Don't cults inherently worship the means by using deity-less warrens?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#22 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:39 AM

well, kulps no cultist, and cultists aren't really mages if their treating it like a religion and worshipping shadow
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#23 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:45 AM

View PostVesper, on 16 February 2010 - 04:07 AM, said:

Now this is becoming a very informative topic. Somehow I hadn't gotten the impression that the gods were quite as obsessed with the status quo, nor that they were quite as corporeal as they seem. I was kind of put on this thought process by the human-like appearance of Hood, even though he is (or, was) a Jaghut. It took me going back to re-read things like how Paran found the throne of shadow in his own world to understand this a little more. I always thought it was more metaphorical.

This begs the question, though, of how much power warrens can sustain. If two gods can hold dominion over a warren, each granting power to millions of worshipers whilst simultaneously using their own power... seems almost like the warren would get drained like Karnadas was after allowing other Grey Swords to use his magic. Something would have to feed these warrens...

Then again, it could be like the Weave from D&D Forgotten Realms 3.5 (before they fucked everything up), which allowed access to magic for everyone and everything everywhere at all times. It was kind of symbiotic, deriving its existence from those who channeled it so that if Mystra, goddess of the Weave, were to cut off access to the Weave to everybody it (and she) would cease to exist.

I am curious to see if Erikson is going to elaborate on this...

I'm assuming this would have to do with the dragons as sources of sorcery. When Sorrit is crucified Mappo and Icarium remark that the pantheon is being made vulnerable with the deaths of the dragons. Vulnerability implies a sliding scale of strength.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#24 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

View PostH.D., on 16 February 2010 - 04:18 AM, said:

View PostD, on 16 February 2010 - 03:30 AM, said:

View PostMTS, on 16 February 2010 - 03:01 AM, said:

The power he channels is D'riss, though, so the point is moot, really.

Not at all. There's an important distinction between worshipping a god and worshipping a warren - as Kulp says, no one worships the means

Don't cults inherently worship the means by using deity-less warrens?

Well there's different types of cults but they all basically worship something that is not a god - Treach's religion was a cult before he became a god, for example. With the Shadow cult or the Rashan cult (potentially the same), I think there is a reference to worshipping an empty throne (probably from Bidithal), so maybe that was it?

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 16 February 2010 - 04:39 AM, said:

well, kulps no cultist, and cultists aren't really mages if their treating it like a religion and worshipping shadow

Kulp is just a mage - no religious involvement that we know of.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#25 User is offline   Vesper 

• Cadre Mage: Non-Expendable Army

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:35 AM

View PostD, on 16 February 2010 - 06:17 PM, said:

* was. He was slain by Gryllen. And, as I quoted above, he had a rather non-religious attitude toward sorcery, and believed the warrens not sentient though he felt once in a while like his warren was uncharacteristically attentive to his situation.
Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass

were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred

thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath

across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones.

Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.'

#26 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

View PostVesper, on 18 February 2010 - 01:35 AM, said:

View PostD, on 16 February 2010 - 06:17 PM, said:

* was. He was slain by Gryllen. And, as I quoted above, he had a rather non-religious attitude toward sorcery, and believed the warrens not sentient though he felt once in a while like his warren was uncharacteristically attentive to his situation.

Well considering Mockra talks to Seren Pedac in later novels, we can pretty much say that Kulp's theories were simply internal musings.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#27 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

View PostBlend, on 18 February 2010 - 03:43 PM, said:

Well considering Mockra talks to Seren Pedac in later novels, we can pretty much say that Kulp's theories were simply internal musings.

Yes and no. Mocra and Seren Pedac had a long talk in RG. A lot of it was hard to decipher, but it seems that Mocra is a construct made by K'rul to personify the warrens or something, it serves as a kind of conciousness for the whole system. That doesn't rule out that the warrens aren't self aware but it implies that the warrens higher brain functions are manifested as Mocra... or something.

#28 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

View PostAptorian, on 18 February 2010 - 08:58 PM, said:

View PostBlend, on 18 February 2010 - 03:43 PM, said:

Yes and no. Mocra and Seren Pedac had a long talk in RG. A lot of it was hard to decipher, but it seems that Mocra is a construct made by K'rul to personify the warrens or something, it serves as a kind of conciousness for the whole system. That doesn't rule out that the warrens aren't self aware but it implies that the warrens higher brain functions are manifested as Mocra... or something.

Or it could have been that Mockra is egotistical and was trying to make himself out to be more then he is. His number one priority is to mess with peoples minds. :laughing:
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#29 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:30 PM

Shut up, you.

#30 User is offline   DarkFox 

• Mage of High House Chaos
  • Interests:Soccer, Badminton, Science, Electronics, and Wilderness survival, as well as fantasy books
  • I'm interested in about anything. and the only people i don't like are inconsiderate or selfish assholes. :)

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

Why doesn't somebody move this topic to a different forum, especially since people are forgetting to put in spoiler alerts.
faith is a belief beyond belief, a reason beyond reasoning, the strongest strength, the purest love. it is the single driving force beyond contestation, it starts before understanding and finally, ends on the tomorrow ever coming.

#31 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

View PostAptorian, on 14 February 2010 - 09:01 AM, said:

Why on earth did you post this in the GotM thread?

Also, it feels like you're taking these quotes out of a context, that the rest of us don't know about.

Spoiler

destroy whole continents ...

so would you say that an ascendent like paran is a god ?
we know that rake for example doesn't use great portions of his potential power.
also that paran mentioned that gods are ascendents who are worshipped.
in short, my opinion is that steven erikson doesn't bring at any point a one distinctive definition of a god or an ascnedent.
making each one a case with it's own merits.

#32 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

A God is an ascendant with worshippers. An ascendant without worshippers is not a god. That is the easy way of making the distinction. Of course there is also people who claim to be gods, like an emperor having a cult, these are not "true gods" unless that devotion or their own skill and power drives them to ascend. Then there are the ascendants, who have worshippers, but refuse god hood. Whether they gain power from these worshippers even though they deny them is uncertain.

Paran has not yet, as far as we know, gained many if any worshippers. So no, he is not a God. He could become one though, if a cult forms around his position.

#33 User is offline   Hood's Legacy 

• Weilder of the Abysmal Blade
  • Interests:High fantasy, warcraft, starcraft, good FPS', manga, anime
  • Power Beckons!!!!!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

View PostVesper, on 16 February 2010 - 04:07 AM, said:

Now this is becoming a very informative topic. Somehow I hadn't gotten the impression that the gods were quite as obsessed with the status quo, nor that they were quite as corporeal as they seem. I was kind of put on this thought process by the human-like appearance of Hood, even though he is (or, was) a Jaghut. It took me going back to re-read things like how Paran found the throne of shadow in his own world to understand this a little more. I always thought it was more metaphorical.

This begs the question, though, of how much power warrens can sustain. If two gods can hold dominion over a warren, each granting power to millions of worshipers whilst simultaneously using their own power... seems almost like the warren would get drained like Karnadas was after allowing other Grey Swords to use his magic. Something would have to feed these warrens...

Then again, it could be like the Weave from D&D Forgotten Realms 3.5 (before they fucked everything up), which allowed access to magic for everyone and everything everywhere at all times. It was kind of symbiotic, deriving its existence from those who channeled it so that if Mystra, goddess of the Weave, were to cut off access to the Weave to everybody it (and she) would cease to exist.

I am curious to see if Erikson is going to elaborate on this...

One thing that is not being considered is that the warrens hand in hand with elements (excepting Teblor of course). As long as elemental entities exist, there would be warrens. Cutting off access merely blocks you from using it, it does not mean that the warren isn't there. Far be it for me to delve into spirituality, but think of it as your body and soul (No other analogy comes to mind). The elements are your body and the soul would be associated with Kruppe's friend's arterial fluids. (Hope, no spoilers here). Though, imagine this. Since, there is no usage of a warren's power, it would start cummulating, then spilling into adjoining warrens by breaching them (very baadd!!!) and all the warrens might vomit :) (not bleed) the excess power. How would they manifest in the physical world?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users