Home Skool cuz I sayd I wud mack a nu thraed

#101 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

View PostCougar, on 10 March 2010 - 01:40 PM, said:

insufficient reflection.

This is hardly the place to discuss vampires...

@Shin: I think the rage to which Illy was referring stems from a creationist claiming to understand evolution better than those who actually believe it. It would be the same as an athiest claiming they understand the bible better than a deeply religious person. While it could be true, most likely it's a blast of hot air and condescending.
Error: Signature not valid

#102 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:26 PM

View PostBubba, on 10 March 2010 - 01:18 PM, said:

Preaching To The Choir ( trying to make believers out of people who already believe ... ) Posted Image

Also heard in the form 'preaching to the converted', in which form it makes more sense, I would argue.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#103 User is offline   Aristai 

• Captain

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

View Postjitsukerr, on 10 March 2010 - 04:26 PM, said:

View PostBubba, on 10 March 2010 - 01:18 PM, said:

Preaching To The Choir ( trying to make believers out of people who already believe ... ) Posted Image

Also heard in the form 'preaching to the converted', in which form it makes more sense, I would argue.

True. But it's less fun to use.

#104 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 10 March 2010 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostCougar, on 10 March 2010 - 01:40 PM, said:

insufficient reflection.

This is hardly the place to discuss vampires...

@Shin: I think the rage to which Illy was referring stems from a creationist claiming to understand evolution better than those who actually believe it. It would be the same as an athiest claiming they understand the bible better than a deeply religious person. While it could be true, most likely it's a blast of hot air and condescending.

I mostly agree with your underlined part. My initial reaction to the part Illy underlined was different. My thinking was, "that's great, at least the kid has learned about evolution and hasn't been deliberately sheltered from it." But you're right, the way it was worded is condescending.

(and I actually do think a lot of athiests know the bible better than a lot of christians. precisely for the same reasons as the condescending statement that woman made, they use the inconsistencies as ammunition for their arguments vs. christians. Just look through the religion threads, you see it again and again. and before anyone thinks so, I am not comparing evolution to the bible)
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users