Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rheni's Dream

#1 User is offline   Bonesaw85 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:18 AM

Just finished NoK and really enjoyed it overall.

What is the significance of Rheni's Dream? Why was it seen in shadow realm and why did it destroy the fisherman who was trying to deal with or distract the stormriders?

Thanks in advance

Aslo, my thoughts on Tayschrenns appearance was way off. I don'y know why, but I always thought he was light skinned with long blonde hair.......... That really threw me off

This post has been edited by Bonesaw85: 01 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:27 AM

Weird I don't remember any person called Rheni or any object or entity called Rheni's Dream.

Are you referring to the giant iceberg the Stormriders were riding against the island that appeared in the shadow realm?

EDIT: Just checked the glossary, no persons or things called Rheni or Rheni's dream.

Are you referring to Kiska? And her passing in and out of Shadow?

Is this a translated copy of NoK?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 01 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

#3 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

Aptorian, on 01 February 2010 - 10:27 AM, said:

Weird I don't remember any person called Rheni or any object or entity called Rheni's Dream.

Are you referring to the giant iceberg the Stormriders were riding against the island that appeared in the shadow realm?

EDIT: Just checked the glossary, no persons or things called Rheni or Rheni's dream.

Are you referring to Kiska? And her passing in and out of Shadow?

Is this a translated copy of NoK?

Wasn't the Rheni's Dream the ship in the prologue captured by the stormriders and used against the fisherman to pummel his boat? not any real signif i dont think, just used as a battering ram to remove a foe!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

I think its only significance was that the Fisherman was obviously destroying everything the Stormriders threw at him. Any ice or Stormrider magic thrown in his path just melted (Probably means he was using Telas or something similar) but he couldn't melt the wood of a ship, so it was an effective weapon to use against him.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

WhiskeyJackDaniels, on 01 February 2010 - 03:28 PM, said:

I think its only significance was that the Fisherman was obviously destroying everything the Stormriders threw at him. Any ice or Stormrider magic thrown in his path just melted (Probably means he was using Telas or something similar) but he couldn't melt the wood of a ship, so it was an effective weapon to use against him.

That sounds right to me.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:29 AM

I just finished NoK, and I believe that the captain of Rheni's Dream named the boat after his wife. So, the fisherman was some old unnamed ascendant, and he was holding back the Stormriders' attack? Which was presumably intended to reach the Azath House. And the Stormriders have renewed their assault because Malaz is undefended after Surly's edict outlawing magery. Is this all correct? I find that I enjoyed ICE's writing and the style of the book, but I had some trouble connecting the dots overall - sometimes it was hard to understand the reasoning behind the character's actions (other than Kiska).
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#7 User is offline   Lousy 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:40 AM

I'm not certain whether Rheni was Murl the pilot's wife, woman, mage, or a combination. But she was the figure who was lashed to one of the ship's masts, apparently dead having failed to calm the storm in the prologue. Of course, most if not all of the crew were kin, so she could have been a blood relative.

This post has been edited by Lousy: 02 April 2010 - 03:42 AM

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

ansible, on 21 February 2010 - 06:29 AM, said:

I just finished NoK, and I believe that the captain of Rheni's Dream named the boat after his wife. So, the fisherman was some old unnamed ascendant, and he was holding back the Stormriders' attack? Which was presumably intended to reach the Azath House. And the Stormriders have renewed their assault because Malaz is undefended after Surly's edict outlawing magery. Is this all correct? I find that I enjoyed ICE's writing and the style of the book, but I had some trouble connecting the dots overall - sometimes it was hard to understand the reasoning behind the character's actions (other than Kiska).

He is named. Toben or Tovin or something like that.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

Night of Knives, on pg. 47, Tor trade paperback, said:

The fisherman set down the rind of bread and left his bowl of soup steaming on the table. He went to the window where a rag of cloth fluttered in a frigid south wind. From beside the fire, his wife turned towards him. 'What is it, Toben?'

You're right, thanks.

Also, I reread the prologue, and there is no mention of whether Rheni is Captain Murl's wife or daughter, only that she is family like everyone else (and she was a mage or something because she was trying to calm the storm). They're clearly close, as he tries to "caress her cheek" and stroke her chair. But, the relationship is not defined.

This post has been edited by ansible: 03 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users