Malazan Empire: Foreshadowing - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Foreshadowing Too blatant? (spoilers through turncoat within)

#1 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:52 AM

As I think I had posted that I planned on doing elsewhere (the 2010 thread in other lit) I went and powered through the series from Storm Front through Turncoat during the last two weeks of December. Overall, it was a great light read and I can't wait for the Changes.

But, I found much of the last couple books to be far too heavy on the foreshadowing and/or predictable in some ways. (Similar to one of the problems I had with Toll the Hounds

Spoiler
)

Cases in point:

A new character is introduced who has no prior relationship with any of the main characters and is in a position to receive the information the traitor leaks. Guess who the traitor is?
Dresden is informed that old wizards cannot have their minds tampered with easily. Guess which not so old anymore wizard has had their mind tampered with?

Earlier in the series it was possible to put the pieces together if you put some thought into it, but in the later books it seems reading a few key sentences early in the book gives away much of the story. Not sure if this is a case of Butcher becoming more obvious as the series goes on or if it is a matter of growing accustomed to the way he writes. Has anyone else noticed this?

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:59 AM

I picked out the traitor the first time I saw him. However, I didn't pick out what repercussions that would have as it turned out. Thus, the book was still very good and surprising to me in that way.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

We had encountered Peabody previously though (he wrote the book Harry used to summon the Erlking in Dead Beat). I remember thinking the German was wrong when I read Dead Beat, and I wonder if that clarification in Turn Coat was intentional in order to give Harry a reason to provoke Peabody, or Butcher's response to having the mistake pointed out by countless pedantic fans.In any case, part of the fun of the series is often not working out _who_ dunnit, but finding out _how_ they dunnit. Which is much more labyrinthine.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

Go all the way back to FOOL MOON and it's not exactly a surprise that 'mysterious woman' is a wolfwere. The fun twist was her training college students to be werewolves, and them becoming regular supporting cast members.

Yeah peabody screamed 'traitor'. The twist was in how it all played out with Morgan more than who the real traitor was.

Similarly, Luccio... i agree, there were some hints all was not right... but i was expecting her to try and stab Harry in the head mid coitus or blast him in the back or something. That the manipulation was to make her love him was icky.

These books don't go out of their was to be uber-clever. It's more in the execution and at times the sheer over-the-top audacity of the action, than the actual revelation. That's why they are, imnsho, the bestest urban fantasy 'fun' series out there, rather than the epic fantasy that SE writes or say, Mike Carey's slow burn Castor series which is more of a 'wtf?!?' than a 'holy fnck!' series.

- Abyss, ...as opposed to LKHamilton's Anita Blake series which became 'let's all fnck!'...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

I have to agree a little. As I grow older (or more widely read perhaps) I find that books - especially fantasy books - often get too predictable. Foreshadowing is often glaringly obvious because there's no other reason for whatever information is used to be added at that point. Turn Coat, as I've mentioned in other threads was a bit of a disappointment because I was never the least bit surprised.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:54 AM

hmm, I've just finished Turn Coat, after taking a long break from Dresden, and I now have one recurring thought stuck in my head.

it's an uber-crazy theory, but I suspects that at some point Harry will confront the Black Council, and the person in charge will be his mother. the scene b/w Harry and Luccio where she describes his mother really leads me to think that.

Also, I didn't see Peabody. but then again, I wasn't looking. I was just enjoying the ride.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

I still think Harry's mom isn't dead, or if she is, she made plans to 'get better'.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 January 2011 - 03:14 PM, said:

I still think Harry's mom isn't dead, or if she is, she made plans to 'get better'.

I agree, and I have feelings that ride the lines of...thinking either she's a clever evil manipulator (visions in both her sons heads to unite them) who does a bunch of good stuff just to throw us all off her scent...but to me that makes her stink more of BC....or she really is good. I dunno.

Anyone else think that Justin DuMorne may not be the big bad we all are led to believe, and that he has turned to good and has therefore spent his time (since his supposed death at Harry's hands) in hiding and protecting Harry? I get a Sirius Black vibe from mentions of him is all..and I think it would make for a really nice twist....

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users