Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MBotF in Dutch

#1 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:50 AM

So I know there's at least a few folk on the forum from our dear old Netherlands. I'm hoping some of them could shed some light on this. From what I can piece together, it seems the translated MBotF books have two sets of titles in Dutch:

Set A:

MBotF - Het Spel Der Goden (“The Game of Gods”, same as the German series title)
GotM - De Tuinen van de Maan
DG - Het Rijk der Zeven Steden
MoI - In de Ban van de Woestijn (what's with this one anyway, it translates to “The Lord of the Desert” which isn't MoIish at all!)
HoC - Huis van Ketens

Set B:

GotM?? - Het Malazijnse Rijk, Een Vertelling uit het Malazijnse Bock van de Gevallenen (different novel name but they got the series name right this time...)
DG - De Poorten Van Het Dodenhuis, De tweede Vertelling uit het Malazijnse Bock van de Gevallenen

So has anyone seen or know what the deal is with these two sets? I would think just a re-publish, but it seems weird that they'd have done that mid-way through the series without much cause (first set was a copy of the german ones and second is a better translator?)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#2 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

View PostD, on 13 January 2010 - 04:50 AM, said:

So I know there's at least a few folk on the forum from our dear old Netherlands. I'm hoping some of them could shed some light on this. From what I can piece together, it seems the translated MBotF books have two sets of titles in Dutch:

Set A:

MBotF - Het Spel Der Goden (“The Game of Gods”, same as the German series title)
GotM - De Tuinen van de Maan
DG - Het Rijk der Zeven Steden
MoI - In de Ban van de Woestijn (what's with this one anyway, it translates to “The Lord of the Desert” which isn't MoIish at all!)
HoC - Huis van Ketens

Set B:

GotM?? - Het Malazijnse Rijk, Een Vertelling uit het Malazijnse Bock van de Gevallenen (different novel name but they got the series name right this time...)
DG - De Poorten Van Het Dodenhuis, De tweede Vertelling uit het Malazijnse Bock van de Gevallenen

So has anyone seen or know what the deal is with these two sets? I would think just a re-publish, but it seems weird that they'd have done that mid-way through the series without much cause (first set was a copy of the german ones and second is a better translator?)

The answer to your last question is simple. You have them reversed in order :D
Also, it's a different publisher.

Set B is really old (2000), and was horrendously translated, imho. It was only released in hardcover, and I think I bought them both in 2001 or something for 7.5 euros each. No further translations were made because it simply did not sell.

Set A is a much later release, and is in bookstores now, glossy black paperbacks.
Translations are as follows:
tuinen van de maan is a direct translation of GotM.
Het Rijk der Zeven Steden translates as The Realm of Seven Cities (der = of the, and is pretty archaic I must say)
Huis van Ketens ( would have expected Ketenen, but oh well, modern option instead of archaic one this time around) is once more a direct translation.

MoI, as D'rek pointed out, is weird. I think there are 2 options: one, the little line memories of ice was translated to something entirely different, thus making the title MoI even more obscure, or they thought it would not fit in the remainder of the titles, which all contain geographical references: gardens, realms, house.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Tapper: 13 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#3 User is offline   Seli 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:49 PM

Set B is the older one (2000/2001). I borrowed these from the library at one point, wanted to continue the series and could not find any new parts. Searching online showed they were still being published in english, so I started buying these.
Set A is more recent(2008-), probably a relaunch after the success of the english version (and maybe others).

The publisher of both sets is also different, B was published by Meulenhoff, A is now published by Luitingh.

pre-emptive edit: too slow

proper edit: Tapper, your screencap shows that the translator for both sets is the same... maybe it has been improved

This post has been edited by Seli: 13 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

#4 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:55 PM

Point is, someone took over the third title of the German "Spiel der Götter" and translated it to Dutch

Im Bann der Wüste ---> In de Ban van de Woestijn

(In de ban means a form of obsession of sorts. In Dutch, Lord of the Rings isn't translated directly to "Heer der Ringen" (again der) but to "In the Ban van de Ring" meaning possessed by the Ring (aproximately).)

Moreover, the one that got the Idea of translating from German, didn't as much as look on Wikipedia. The German books are split in two, Im Bann der Wüste being part two of Deadhous Gates. The first part being again a translation: Im Reich der Sieben Städte, which was again translated to Dutch. The point Being, the translation of title being the Error. It should have been (again translating) "De IJzige Tijd"(from "Die Eisige Zeit")

Following up titles, will be direct translated from English. Those German were too, with exception of the 7th.

De Middernachts Getijden
De Bottenjagers
In de Storm des Verderfs (In the Storm of Rot, probably, I couldn't find a good translation of the words "Verderven" or "Verderben" from Dutch and German)

German site of Malazan Wiki Page
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:49 PM

Thanks you guys, that helps a ton and makes a lot more sense!

View PostImperial High Mage Tayschrenn, on 13 January 2010 - 01:55 PM, said:

Following up titles, will be direct translated from English. Those German were too, with exception of the 7th.

De Middernachts Getijden
De Bottenjagers
In de Storm des Verderfs (In the Storm of Rot, probably, I couldn't find a good translation of the words "Verderven" or "Verderben" from Dutch and German)

The german Verderbens can translate to corruption or destruction, apparently, so rot seems like a good translation.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

View PostSeli, on 13 January 2010 - 01:49 PM, said:

proper edit: Tapper, your screencap shows that the translator for both sets is the same... maybe it has been improved

I hope so. I could of course not do better, but some of the chosen translations made me cringe. I'll have to check, but I think Laseen is called Laseen in the first translations, and is referred to as Lazine in the new translation.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#7 User is offline   Anaster 

• Child of the Dead Seed

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

I've been skimming through the newer Dutch editions and must say I'm truly apalled by some of the translations.

Example:

Duiker = Denker? (thinker) Why?
Di'vers = Duikers? (Scuba divers) this is just a plain lack of interest in the series!

I don't exactly remember how they translated Fiddler, but even though it wasn't exactly wrong, it did make me laugh out loud.

#8 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

Laseen in the first translations, and is referred to as Lazine in the new translation.
That's because Lazine sounds as the English version

About the Di'ver part, I suppose it was translated from Di'ver to Duiker, while noone had an idea if it should be translated. In Dutch it was Duiker, which means Diver

With that done, Duikers name couldn't be retained, so the came up with a name that sounded alike. Ah, translations = trouble.
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-