Malazan Empire: The game I bought today is... - Malazan Empire

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The game I bought today is... Bought any games recently? Share your excitement with us.

#381 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:37 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 05 August 2016 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 05 August 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

Rebel Galaxy is free on PS4+, so I figured why not. And it's quite fun. I dunno how long lived it will be, but right now I very much enjoy flying around the solar system blasting pirates while listening to space country/rock. The soundtrack is pretty awesome. I haven't gotten to the point where I can travel to other solar systems. I suspect that will be the time where I will find whether the game is worth continuing with or not.

I take it for free games you need the PSN+ membership or whatever it was? I need to get on that.

Yeah. There's been a lot of cool offerings actually. Gauntlet is pretty neat, I've had enormous fun with Rocket League and there's been plenty of other fun games there.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#382 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:47 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 05 August 2016 - 06:37 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 05 August 2016 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 05 August 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

Rebel Galaxy is free on PS4+, so I figured why not. And it's quite fun. I dunno how long lived it will be, but right now I very much enjoy flying around the solar system blasting pirates while listening to space country/rock. The soundtrack is pretty awesome. I haven't gotten to the point where I can travel to other solar systems. I suspect that will be the time where I will find whether the game is worth continuing with or not.

I take it for free games you need the PSN+ membership or whatever it was? I need to get on that.

Yeah. There's been a lot of cool offerings actually. Gauntlet is pretty neat, I've had enormous fun with Rocket League and there's been plenty of other fun games there.

If Rocket League comes around as a free download on there I may have to partake. Already play on X1 and I've got mates on at me to get the PS4 version too.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#383 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:52 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 05 August 2016 - 03:19 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 04 August 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 04 August 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

Nope, I'm on Hurt Me Plenty. This is what I mean about the difficulty being disproportionate - I'm on what amounts to Normal, and it's playing like Final Doom on Ultraviolence.

Yeah, I think you're doing something wrong. New Doom is amazing and it's definitely not hard on Hurt Me Plenty. What Apt said should be working fine for you.

WellI tried it on ITYTD and this is realistically 'normal' (as it correlates with Classic HMP), though it's not a balanced step down as minor mooks don't do much damage (whereas on HMP if an imp looks at you, your armour falls off). The shield guys take splash on this difficulty as well (they don't on HMP).

So far it's decent now the difficulty isn't so ridiculous. Apt's suggestions would be fine except that on HMP the marine is made of paper and the enemies are made of concrete. Having experienced UV (which HMP is) anyone who says it isn't hard can't have played the same game. I Wanna Be The Guy punished me less.

Never played Final Doom, so I've got nothing to compare to in that regard, but I certainly didn't feel like I was 'paper' on HMP. Quite the opposite, really. Armour may not be that useful, but it never was in the earlier Doom games if my memory serves correctly, and you recoup enough health that armour is literally just icing on the cake if you Glory Kill enough enemies. Apt's advice is spot-on for all default difficulty levels, really, so again, not sure where your problem is coming from because I honestly didn't have that much trouble with it on HMP. Either they've patched it, something is borked with your game, or you're doing something wrong. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#384 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:57 AM

View PostSilencer, on 05 August 2016 - 06:52 AM, said:

Nope, I'm on Hurt Me Plenty. This is what I mean about the difficulty being disproportionate - I'm on what amounts to Normal, and it's playing like Final Doom on Ultraviolence.

Yeah, I think you're doing something wrong. New Doom is amazing and it's definitely not hard on Hurt Me Plenty. What Apt said should be working fine for you.

WellI tried it on ITYTD and this is realistically 'normal' (as it correlates with Classic HMP), though it's not a balanced step down as minor mooks don't do much damage (whereas on HMP if an imp looks at you, your armour falls off). The shield guys take splash on this difficulty as well (they don't on HMP).

So far it's decent now the difficulty isn't so ridiculous. Apt's suggestions would be fine except that on HMP the marine is made of paper and the enemies are made of concrete. Having experienced UV (which HMP is) anyone who says it isn't hard can't have played the same game. I Wanna Be The Guy punished me less.

Never played Final Doom, so I've got nothing to compare to in that regard, but I certainly didn't feel like I was 'paper' on HMP. Quite the opposite, really. Armour may not be that useful, but it never was in the earlier Doom games if my memory serves correctly, and you recoup enough health that armour is literally just icing on the cake if you Glory Kill enough enemies. Apt's advice is spot-on for all default difficulty levels, really, so again, not sure where your problem is coming from because I honestly didn't have that much trouble with it on HMP. Either they've patched it, something is borked with your game, or you're doing something wrong. XD

Put it this way: if on normal difficulty one generic low-level mook can take you from 50 armour to none with one melee attack, and another (the possessed soldiers) take four-five shotgun blasts to the face to die/stagger at nigh on point blank (the only gun that did anything on HMP was the shotgun using the grenade launcher mod - all the others may as well have been origami), something is VERY off with the balance. Especially when the next difficulty down, these issues are not just gone, but at times the player character is borderline OP. There's no middle ground. I'll finish it but I doubt I'll bother with it again afterward.

#385 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:07 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 05 August 2016 - 06:57 AM, said:

Put it this way: if on normal difficulty one generic low-level mook can take you from 50 armour to none with one melee attack, and another (the possessed soldiers) take four-five shotgun blasts to the face to die/stagger at nigh on point blank (the only gun that did anything on HMP was the shotgun using the grenade launcher mod - all the others may as well have been origami), something is VERY off with the balance. Especially when the next difficulty down, these issues are not just gone, but at times the player character is borderline OP. There's no middle ground. I'll finish it but I doubt I'll bother with it again afterward.

Something's wrong with your game, man. That's not my experience AT ALL. The only underpowered gun is the pistol, and you only really have to use that in the first level. Nothing wrong with the weapon balance in my game.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#386 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

View PostSilencer, on 05 August 2016 - 07:07 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 05 August 2016 - 06:57 AM, said:

Something's wrong with your game, man. That's not my experience AT ALL. The only underpowered gun is the pistol, and you only really have to use that in the first level. Nothing wrong with the weapon balance in my game.

You might be right about the patch notion - The game patched just after installing onto the PS4, but as it stands, on HMP, the pistol is on a par with the assault rifle for power. It's thoroughly broken. Goodness only knows why they'd either release a game in that condition or patch it to run that way, but it's as balanced as Arcade Mode Seth from SF4.

#387 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

Eeek, my copy of No Man's Sky shipped today! Probably won't arrive before Monday, but I can hope.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#388 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:27 AM

Oooh, I'm very curious to hear what it's like.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#389 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

Same. It's another hype train (cringe) and my main concern is the possibility of it being as grindy as Spore's space segment. I'd be very happy to have that notion dispelled!

#390 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

From what I've heard, grind is all the game is. Like Minecraft.

You land on a planet, harvest everything that you can fit into your suit and ships inventory, do a bit of research and then go sell stuff. Rinse and repeat for 30-300 hours.

#391 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

View PostApt, on 05 August 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

From what I've heard, grind is all the game is. Like Minecraft.

You land on a planet, harvest everything that you can fit into your suit and ships inventory, do a bit of research and then go sell stuff. Rinse and repeat for 30-300 hours.

Except you can also do things like fight space pirates, become a space pirate, explore the galaxy, and apparently build reputation with factions and possibly join them.

There's also some sort of story about you getting to the center of the galaxy and seeing something, but we'll see.

There's also a huge number of 'mods' for your suit, weapon/mining laster, and ship, as well as different ships and stuff.

Its a resource collection/survival/space exploration/light dogfight game as far as I can tell.

I watched a 2 hour clip of uninterrupted gameplay from a PS4 on youtube yesterday (which has since been removed from my history and I can't find it again, so I assume it's been taken down) that really showed it off. This was obviously early in the game, and he was trying to find some materials to power up his hyperdrive core so he could leave the solarsystem, but he stumbled across an alien colony, learned a couple words of the alien language, deciphered that there was a distress call, went there, got some blueprints from the crashed ship, and that crashed ship was trying to rescue another ship, so he found the other ship, and it was an upgrade for his, so he abandoned his ship and spent some time farming mats to repair the crashed ship which became his new ship.

He also fought space pirates, landed at a space station to sell/buy goods, explored some alien ruins, had a hallucination and had to respond to it, and apparently he did it correctly because he was awarded with knowledge. He was catagorizing the life forms he came across. One of them he was able to feed a bunch of iron and copper and it mutated into something else.

However he looked amazingly alone. Other than a single large convey of huge freighters, which he saw once, and then the 3 space pirates who attacked him, I never saw another ship. I'm assuming thats because the dev's don't have that all turned on, but I'm not sure, and that worries me a bit, but thinking about it, I wonder if they are spawning ships/conveys/pirates based on number of human players in the area. So if you have 1 person within 10 systems, you get 1 spawn an hour or something, if you have 30 you get 30 spawns an hour, just spittballing. The trailers and approved gameplay shows a lot of ships, and that you can join a fighter wing to do missions for a faction, but maybe thats later game play, it seemed like this guy spent 2 hours puttering around a single system trying to get resources to fix his hyperdrive, then to fix the new ship he found.

https://www.reddit.c...MansSkyTheGame/ has a bunch of leaks from people that have both pre-gold and gold copies of the game.

Also, this is NOT a mmo. It's a 'shared universe' experience. I believe you can never see another player, but you can see what they do. So if you see a bunch of space pirates fighting something you can't see, it's probably a player. If you see some resource you want disappear, a different player probably got it. Thankfully there's like 40 billion billion planets, and each persons initial spawn location is a random distance from the center of the universe.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#392 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

The guy that got the leaked copy made it to the centre of the universe in about 30 hours; but I'm hoping that it's the sort of game where the act of exploring and upgrading etc is engaging enough to not be too concerned about a conclusion.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#393 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:08 PM

View PostTraveller, on 05 August 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

The guy that got the leaked copy made it to the centre of the universe in about 30 hours; but I'm hoping that it's the sort of game where the act of exploring and upgrading etc is engaging enough to not be too concerned about a conclusion.

Correct, but he didn't 'stop to smell the roses' as it were. This is also why I kind of smirk at the thought of a game like this having a story. It's like Minecraft having a story (which I think Microsoft tried to shoehorn in there or something, but w/e).
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#394 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

View PostObdigore, on 05 August 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 05 August 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

Correct, but he didn't 'stop to smell the roses' as it were. This is also why I kind of smirk at the thought of a game like this having a story. It's like Minecraft having a story (which I think Microsoft tried to shoehorn in there or something, but w/e).

Exactly, I never go on Minecraft to 'finish' the game.

I've been playing Abzu. It really is a beautiful, absorbing game, very much the succesor to The Journey, with some very atmospheric moments.

Short game though unfortunately - I got it on Tuesday and finished it in two evening sessions, but like The Journey, I'll be playing through again whenever I want to dive down with the whales and giant squid.

(Best bit - the game physics that created the fish 'ball'. Swimming through the middle of a huge, swirling mass of fish, with marlin and sharks slashing through it feeding was amazing.)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 05 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#395 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

Well I'm the sort of person who will spend 30 hours just on the first planet I spawn on. NMS has so far seemed like everything I'd want, but we'll see when I actually get it. By the way, you can run into other players (if you're playing online, you don't have to), but the chances are infinitesimally small. However, me and a couple of friends are all getting the game and we're going to see if we can somehow work out where we each are, and then meet up.

So I've already created my own objective for the game :cry:

But for me, the main attraction is the exploration. I just want to see what's out there, not necessarily do lots of crazy and varied things.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 05 August 2016 - 03:41 PM

#396 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

Unless new information has shown up about multiplayer, there wont be any reason to meeting up with a friend. Beyond the infinitesimally small chance of meeting a player you know, there aren't built in social options. You wont even see a marker indicating you are looking at a real players ship or avatar.

#397 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:04 PM

View PostApt, on 05 August 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

Unless new information has shown up about multiplayer, there wont be any reason to meeting up with a friend. Beyond the infinitesimally small chance of meeting a player you know, there aren't built in social options. You wont even see a marker indicating you are looking at a real players ship or avatar.

I know that. The point is simply in the achievement of it. Coming across each other in an almost-infinite universe.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 05 August 2016 - 08:59 PM

#398 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:18 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 05 August 2016 - 06:04 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 05 August 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

I know that. The point is simply in the achievement of it. Coming across each other in an almost-infinite universe.

You're one of those people who buy lottery tickets aren't you? :cry:

Anyway I just read through the Day 1 Patch for No Man's Sky:

http://www.no-mans-s...08/update-1-03/

I need this game inside of me now.

This post has been edited by Apt: 07 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

#399 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

Sooooooooo hyped for NMS, cannot wait to put it on and simply loose myself; been waiting for a very long time now. My only issue is that it's supposed to arrive on the 10th, and I'm away to Bloodstock Open Air Festival the next day, so if it really grabs me as I hope it will I then have 5 days of forced break. Then again 4-5 days of heavy metal and heavy alcohol consumption should be a good enough distraction :p

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 07 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#400 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

I've been blasting the soundtrack out for a few days now (the sublime 65daysofstatic did the soundtrack and they are one of my favourite bands) I am massively excited for the game. I've been following the leaks etc and I'm not worried about any of it. Just wondering if my schedule will actually allow me to have enough time to play it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

19 User(s) are reading this topic