• You cannot reply to this topic

Lord of Chaos DOWN [spoileur] 5 more to go before the new one

#1 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:47 PM

Yep.

Two 16+ hour travel days traversing the hellish disorganized limbo of North America's air travel network and I finally put Lord of Chaos in the ground.

My god what a fantastic ending. Dumai's wells is the best part of the series so far.

ASHA'MAN BATTLE LINE

ASHA'MAN FLINGING CIRCLE OF FIREY DEATH THING

ASHA'MAN HOLD

Fuck. Yeah.

That whole book rocked from start to finish actually come to think of it. The only dead parts were the ones surrounding Perrin. That wolfish retard could have been left out of the book entirely in my opinion. Hopefully he gets more useful in the coming books, but I'm not holding out much hope.

I really really liked in this book how Jordan started making heavy use of information transit time to emphasize the BIG-ness of the world. Everybody in different parts of the world didn't know exactly what was going on everywhere all the time because information takes time to get places. Its not an overt statement of "its xxx miles to Carhien", instead Jordan uses an indirect way of emphasizing size. Its hard to describe, but you know what I mean?

And the part where they raise Egwene to amyrlin and all the Aes Sedai go topless to confirm that they're women. So unnecessary, but hilarious when I read it. Good on Jordan for injecting some boobs into the novel. Seriously. The way he talks about every woman in the book being ridiculously hot all the time, it gave a nice mental picture.

What else.....ah yeah. I'm pretty stoked to see what happens with Morgase and her pet whitecloak army.

Also very stoked from the last part of the epilogue where Jordan hints at Seanchan returning.

Could care less about the weather thing really, other than to get Jordan to stop describing everybody's sweat all the time.

Solid book.

And please hold back on the "wait til the next 4 books...they suck" comments. I've heard it all before we really really don't need another thread on it.

:p
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#2 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

I will say that that is the last book where Perrin is awesome. Not sure why you didn't like his parts, but oh well.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

Dumai's Wells IS awesome. Probably the best sheer action big finish scene Jordan wrote ever (and the first one with NO Foresaken to fight). SO MUCH coolness happens in that finale, from Perrin's Two Rivers/Mayene/Aes Sedai force wading into the Shaido mess, to Aiel Wise Ones going on the offensive, to Rand/Lews busting out and stilling a bunch of Aes Sedai in the process, to Taim showing up and Rand asking what took him so long, to the Asha'Man RING OF AWESOME, which was the sickest use of the one power in the series up to that point and showed just what Rand had started by recruiting men who could channel. And the finishing stroke... "Kneel, Aes Sedai."

I didn't think Perrin sucked in this book. He starts to come into his own as a leader, and i liked the bit where he calls the wolves to help... "They caged Shadowhunter." *massive dream world wolf howls all over the place* "Brother, we come! And we're going to fang someone in the ass for this!".

- Abyss, notes that may not be an exact quote...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

@abyss

you reminded me of my other most favourite part of this book. Lews Therin ruining Rand's shit 100% of the time. I've had a few minor spoilers on this, but only to the effect that the whole lews therin thing is as yet unresolved. This makes me happy. Having crazy characters in the books makes it way more interesting...plus I'm really really stoked to find out why Lews wants Taim dead so friggin bad.

I also liked the part about healing the stilling. Interested to see what RJ will do with that in future books, if anything at all.

RE my earlier comment on the bigness of the world, rediscovering lost talents was a cool aspect in this book. At the same time as everybody is lacking accurate and up-to-date info on the rest of the world, the main characters can now travel from one location to another instantaneously. In a world like that, there's no way Rand could accomplish what he needs to without being able to travel around....so its cool that RJ made him the one to travel. It gives him a distinct advantage over his enemies too.

I gotta hold off before starting book 7 though. This makes two in a row for me and I think I'll go crazy if another braid gets tugged. Maybe after I get through DoD.

EDIT @ Perrin

Personal opinion I guess. There's always characters one person or another can't stand. Perrin is one for me. I just find him kind of meh...compared to Rand and Mat especially.

In contrast, Nynaeve bugs the shit out of a lot of readers, but I find her one of the less irritating characters overall.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 10 December 2009 - 04:55 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#5 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:00 PM

Dumai's Wells is great. The best line in the books is when Rand/Lews Therin finally break out of the box and Lews Therin does his Lord of the Morning line. After reading this thread I just went to my room to get my copy to re-read through that whole scene. Apparently I don't have a copy. I have copies of Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight easily accessible, but no Lord of Chaos. FML.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#6 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

I pointed it out before, but Perrin, to my mind at least, is able to mow down the Aiel without caring about their gender because his subconscious is telling him they're all Faile.

The next book has some of my favourite Mat scenes, which was nice, but unfortunately plenty of Nynaeve and Elayne being unlikable idiots (except for one specific moment which was too long in coming, you'll know it when you see it).
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

Nynaeve rocks my world.

#8 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

View PostDolorous Menhir, on 10 December 2009 - 07:31 PM, said:

Nynaeve rocks my world.

We'll find a cure for you one day.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#9 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

@Illy

Light! Make it another titty scene!
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 10 December 2009 - 07:36 PM, said:

View PostDolorous Menhir, on 10 December 2009 - 07:31 PM, said:

Nynaeve rocks my world.

We'll find a cure for you one day.

Mark my words - one day before the series is done, she will yank that braid right out of her own head and strangle a Foresaken with it.

Or club them to death with it - whatever, it will be awesome and all you Nynaeve haters will have to just shut up and knuckle your foreheads at the brilliance of seventeen books building to that one perfect scene.

- Abyss, *sniffs*.

#11 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:19 AM

One thing I didn't get, and might have just missed it in my semi-drunken airport fugue...what is Nynaeve's deal with Mat in the last 1/4 of LoC?

She's treating him like dirt, and the other girls are hinting at some huge secret about her attitude toward him. Is she in love with him now or did I totally miss something important?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#12 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:00 AM

I don't like how Perrin abuses his relationship with the wolves. It's like Sam treating Bumblebee like an expendable servant in Transformers 2. I don't like it when the animals or the cool robots get shafted by people they trust.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#13 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:40 PM

oh, found this on the tubes last night

Feck there's a lot of WoT art out there. Mostly bad...but this pencil art one is pretty dang sweet. I like the "fuck off, you bore me" expression on the asha'man's face.

ASHA'MAN BATTLE LINE

link to Phoenix inn pics thread

Weird...pic uploading is disabled in this forum?

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 11 December 2009 - 12:44 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#14 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

Just got to the part in The Dragon Reborn where Nynaeve balefires a Myrdraal. She rules.

#15 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:30 AM

I'd tug her braid any day.

honestly don't see the problem everybody has with her. She's a holy fucking bitch but a strangely hot one at the same time.

Which reminds me of another favourite part of Lord of Chaos

Descriptions of Min's tight fitting leggins. yep.

leggins.

:D

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 12 December 2009 - 12:31 AM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 11 December 2009 - 03:19 AM, said:

One thing I didn't get, and might have just missed it in my semi-drunken airport fugue...what is Nynaeve's deal with Mat in the last 1/4 of LoC...

Didn't it have something to do with his amulet?

- Abyss, not certain.

#17 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:20 PM

just trying to figure out the reason why after mat arrives in Salidar, nynaeve keeps hiding from him and standing behind elayne glaring at him any time he's talking to them. Its not just typical nynaeve bitchiness...its like something else is going on.

Nynaeve doesn't bang mat in future books does she?

I thought he was meant for daughter of the moons (or whatever that was).
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#18 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

Oh, yeah, she kicks Mat in the arse pretty hard after he tries to persuade Egwene to leave Salidar, and then realises that because he's a lot stronger than she is and he can't be effected by the One Power, she can't stop him from, say, Jordan's usual fetish punishment for women in the series, spanking. Because there is a lot of spanking in the series.

#19 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:54 AM

About Nynaeve and Mat, l think she is pissed off at him because he had to rescue her and the other girls from the Stone of Tear. She doesn't seem like the type of person that believes that they need the help of a man, more so from a womanizing gambler like him.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#20 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 14 December 2009 - 06:42 PM, said:

Oh, yeah, she kicks Mat in the arse pretty hard after he tries to persuade Egwene to leave Salidar, and then realises that because he's a lot stronger than she is and he can't be effected by the One Power, she can't stop him from, say, Jordan's usual fetish punishment for women in the series, spanking. Because there is a lot of spanking in the series.

I know eh?

The spanking took me off-guard the first time it occurred.

Other fetishes that have crept up in this one

- Elaborate and frequent descriptions of Lan's ring knocking around between Nynaeve's breasts.
- Nynaeve and Elayne undressing each other at every opportunity.
- Perrin smelling womens' attraction to him.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users