• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Grimhilde Malazan book of the Artist

#1 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:07 AM

1) How were you introduced to the Malazan series?

It was a coin incidence, really, or maybe fate. There was a sale at my local bookstore and I saw a book with a bright orange cover that immediately attracted my attention. I bought it, only to realize it was the second book in a series, so I bought the first one as well. The rest is history:P

2) What brought you to Malazan Empire forums?

Random googling of "Steven Erikson" and/or "malazan", I think.

3) How did you choose your username?

I thought I'd be original and not choose a Malazan name:P I am very fond of mythology, so I chose a name from the Tale of the Nibelungs. Also, it sounds funny.

4) Do you remember your first post? What was it and who responded?

That was like 3 years ago, which is like a 100 in Internet years…so no. But I probably posted in the GotM-forum, acting like a total fan-girl.

5) Which members do you feel a special connection with?

Well, Abyss, being my master and all. Aptorian, since we're sort of arch-enemies, I think. Dolmen, Nobbs, Onrack and Puck, since we're art buddies, and Gamet and TeholBeddict for miscancellous reasons.

6) What are your favorite parts of the forum?

The art forum, obviously, the Abyssmal Army-section and the funny pictures-thread. I guess I should've said the book-forums, right?

7) Ducks or Swans? (and what color?)

Ducks! I was chased by a swan once. They're scary as hell. Uhm, the yellow ones?

8) What are some forum "events" that stand out in your memory?

The art contests in the art forum! They resulted in a lot of great art:)

9) What members would you particularly like to meet in real life? Have you met any already?

Everyone! Nope, none that I know of…

10) Did you always have the artist's eye/mind/spirit, or was it an epiphany at some point where you decided that you loved to create?

I think it's always been there. I have drawings from when I was a little kid, they're not good, but you can detect a hint of *something* in them. I even arranged drawing contests already in kindergarten. Runs in the family too. My uncle's a professional artist, and my brother wants to get into concept art for games and such. But it's only recently that I've discovered how much I love it. Which is a lot:P But I know I have a long way to go before I reach my full potential.

11) If you were stranded on a desert island with only one MBotF, which one is it?

Dust of Dreams, because I haven't read it yet. Or maybe I would just make one giant book out of all the other books.

12) If you met Steven Erikson and you could only ask one question, what would it be?

I can haz cheezburger?

13) Who is your favorite character from the series?

It's hard to pick just one, but I think I'm gonna have to say Karsa, because he is awesome, and all my other favourite characters are dead…

14) Speaking of art, do you have some favorite artists or specific works you would like us to know about?

I love everything these guys do, and especially this one:
http://imaginism.dev...cotty-126346502
This guy has some amazing pencilworks, and I think you might enjoy this one:
http://aramismarron....-pt-5-100951304
And this:
http://pani-ciemnosc...zombie-69718416
This one, just for the amazing perspective and use of colours:
http://thegryph.devi...assin-106563930
Some other favourites of mine:
Henning Ludvigsen
Natascha Rösli
Lauren K. Cannon
Sam Hogg
Ben Templesmith
Martha Dahlig

15) Who wins?
Wolverine!

16) If you had to lose one of your sense of smell/touch/sight/hearing/taste, which would you give up?

Smell, no doubt about it! The other ones are much needed.

17) Do you do any creative writing yourself? (I know you do, but tell us more.)

Yes! I write poetry, much of it Malazan-themed. I also write stories. I'm currently working on a post-apocalyptic, steam-punkish sci-fi story, and another one about military experiments and conspiracies, which is really just a love story:P You can find some of it, if you go looking around the Writing-forum

18) When not reading MBotF, what are you typically reading?

Whatever's on the syllabus, which is a lot of different things. But I like to stay within the fantasy-genre. My favourite series after MbotF is the Dark Tower by Stephen King. Actually, I'll read whatever's at hand, which has lead to some unfortunate encounters with Tairy and Sparkle-Meyer *shudders*

19) Do you keep a personal library, or do the books just cycle through your possession?

Personal library combined with borrowing from other people and libraries. Hopefully, I'll have a giant e-book library sometime in the future.

20) Please bare one random little known fact about yourself for the peanut gallery please.

When I was younger I won the county championship in first aid five years in a row. So, if you're choking on something, you know who to PM!
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#2 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:23 AM

Fantastic interview Grim my dear! I loved it! It was pure Grimhilde all the way. Your answers were short and to the point, but really made me laugh. Those swans are evil little bastards, I agree.

I'm thinking we should make you the official malazan medic or maybe add medic of bacon to your Abyssmal title. We'll even give you a first aid badge made out of bacon and duct tape! Come on you know you wanna!

This post has been edited by teholbeddict: 26 November 2009 - 01:25 AM

Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#3 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:32 AM

12) If you met Steven Erikson and you could only ask one question, what would it be?

I can haz cheezburger?

I couldn't help laughing at this. It's kind of like "A geni gives you three wishes" and you use your first wish based on lolcat fandom. :o :p
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#4 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• View gallery

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:38 AM

View PostShinrei, on 26 November 2009 - 01:32 AM, said:

I can haz cheezburger?

I couldn't help laughing at this. It's kind of like "A geni gives you three wishes" and you use your first wish based on lolcat fandom. Posted Image Posted Image

Of course she did! She's a member of the Abyssmal army after all! It was either that or ask him if he likes bacon, and we already know everyone loves bacon!

This post has been edited by teholbeddict: 26 November 2009 - 01:41 AM

-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

-Zanth13-

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:41 AM

View PostShinrei, on 26 November 2009 - 01:07 AM, said:

9) What members would you particularly like to meet in real life? Have you met any already?

You going to meet all four-and-a-half thousand members? Good luck remembering them distinctly!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:06 AM

Good to see a new one up there Shin.

Nice to know about the younger members.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#7 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:08 AM

I too laughed the question asked to SE. Lol. Of course you can, isn't that a perk of the Abyssmal Army? Shouldn't those be pretty much willingly at hand?

Why not ask about the appearance of certain people, being an artist?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#8 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

View Postteholbeddict, on 26 November 2009 - 01:23 AM, said:

Fantastic interview Grim my dear! I loved it! It was pure Grimhilde all the way. Your answers were short and to the point, but really made me laugh. Those swans are evil little bastards, I agree.

I'm thinking we should make you the official malazan medic or maybe add medic of bacon to your Abyssmal title. We'll even give you a first aid badge made out of bacon and duct tape! Come on you know you wanna!

That sounds like a great idea! The bandages should also be made of bacon and duct tape, so that when you've healed, you have a snack close at hand :o

View PostShinrei, on 26 November 2009 - 01:32 AM, said:

I can haz cheezburger?

I couldn't help laughing at this. It's kind of like "A geni gives you three wishes" and you use your first wish based on lolcat fandom. :p :p

Maybe I should have asked for more questions? ;)

View PostD, on 26 November 2009 - 01:41 AM, said:

You going to meet all four-and-a-half thousand members? Good luck remembering them distinctly!

No problem, I have an insane memory!

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 26 November 2009 - 05:08 AM, said:

I too laughed the question asked to SE. Lol. Of course you can, isn't that a perk of the Abyssmal Army? Shouldn't those be pretty much willingly at hand?

Why not ask about the appearance of certain people, being an artist?

Damnit! Why didn't I think of that? I'll have to remember that, in case I ever bump into him...you know, lurking around in the bushes outside his house...

Darkwatch: Thanks for calling me young! :p
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#9 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• View gallery

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

Well you know we army members love anything that can later be eaten, throw in a beer and you've got yourself a deal. So what exactly does it take for one to win the county championship my dear? You're quite the champ miss five times in a row!
-Bubbalicious -

-Stone Monkey-

-Zanth13-

#10 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:22 PM

View Postteholbeddict, on 26 November 2009 - 03:04 PM, said:

So what exactly does it take for one to win the county championship my dear?

I'm hoping it involves bribery, extortion and/or sleeping with the judges!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11 User is offline   Tremolo 

• High Fist

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

Great interview! I really enjoyed reading it. :o
'We all have nukes, and we all know how to dance'

#12 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 26 November 2009 - 03:22 PM, said:

You can always count on Mezla to go looking for the juicy part of a story.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#13 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:06 PM

Well you know we army members love anything that can later be eaten, throw in a beer and you've got yourself a deal. So what exactly does it take for one to win the county championship my dear? You're quite the champ miss five times in a row!

Consider the beer inthrown!

Well, it takes considerable knowledge of, and skill in, first aid. You know, identifying injuries, medical conditions and such, and then knowing what to do, and what not to do. We strapped people to stretchers and went through an obstacle course, then we turned them upside down and on their head, just to make sure we'd tied them correctly, which we usually did... We also had to treat people with various injuries, among them open fractures with bones sticking out everywhere, broken ribs, internal bleedings etc. In other words, the usual :o

View PostMezla PigDog, on 26 November 2009 - 03:22 PM, said:

I was only eleven the first time I (and my team :p ) won, so I did it the honest way, the next year, however... :p
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#14 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

So then how young or not young are you?
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

5) Which members do you feel a special connection with?

Well, Abyss, being my master and all. Aptorian, since we're sort of arch-enemies, I think. Dolmen, Nobbs, Onrack and Puck, since we're art buddies, and Gamet and TeholBeddict for miscancellous reasons.

6) What are your favorite parts of the forum?

The art forum, obviously, the Abyssmal Army-section and the funny pictures-thread. I guess I should've said the book-forums, right?

I can haz cheezburger?

15) Who wins?
Wolverine!

Posted Image

- Abyss, notes we have taught this one well.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#16 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:40 PM

1) How were you introduced to the Malazan series?

It was a coin incidence, really, or maybe fate. There was a sale at my local bookstore and I saw a book with a bright orange cover that immediately attracted my attention. I bought it, only to realize it was the second book in a series, so I bought the first one as well. The rest is history:P

So we're lucky Grim is attracted to bright shiny objects?

Great interview you two.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#17 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:00 AM

This Abyssmal Army shit is getting out of hand, you all realise that Abyss is actually a human manatee, living in a pool of nutrients, living on pop-tarts and working in data-entry rather than an actual cybernetic Lolcat, don't you?
I AM A TWAT

#18 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:14 AM

This section is cool, its like a cliffnotes version of all the big forum contributors.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#19 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:34 AM

Another great interview Shin & Grim, well done! :o
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#20 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

A human manatee?
Does he write family guy?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +