Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mael's Daughters Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:05 AM

On page 527 DOD the Errant, Knuckles and Kilmandaros are awaiting the arrival of other gods summoned by the Errant. Olar Ethil and Mael join the three others. On page 528, Olar Ethil turns to Mael and says, "Your daughters run wild." Mael shrugged and replied, "Daughters will do that. Rather, they should do that. I would be disappointed otherwise - it's a poor father who does not nudge and then cut loose."

I know my memory is terrible, but I have no recollection of Mael's daughters being mentioned prior to this conversation. Will someone please explain to me what I missed - if anything. Txs

#2 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:36 AM

if i'm not mistaken this was brought up soon after the book came out, speculation ran toward nerruse and beru maybe being mael's daughters. though most people seem to refer to beru as male iirc, don't think we have anything else to go on atm
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#3 User is offline   Dammon 

• Wizard of West Oz

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:54 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 20 November 2009 - 04:36 AM, said:

if i'm not mistaken this was brought up soon after the book came out, speculation ran toward nerruse and beru maybe being mael's daughters. though most people seem to refer to beru as male iirc, don't think we have anything else to go on atm

Aren't Beru and Nerruse mentioned in relation to Mael somewhere in the book? i'll have to check and see if I can find it when I get home.
*WARNING* May melt when added to water.

#4 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:17 AM

Not too sure, but Sechul Lath spawned Oponn. So I guess it's more than likely.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#5 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:44 PM

View PostDammon, on 20 November 2009 - 04:54 AM, said:

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 20 November 2009 - 04:36 AM, said:

Aren't Beru and Nerruse mentioned in relation to Mael somewhere in the book? i'll have to check and see if I can find it when I get home.

Good Memory, ST.& Dam. Beru is mentioned on pg 226 as Mael's daughter, the Lady of the Fair Seas. However, Wiki shows: Beru: "Lord of Storms"; Nerruse: Lady of Calm Seas and Fair Wind" both taken from GOTM glossary.
Slight mixup, but they have been mentioned. I'm happy

Now, as I hit the back button I'll get kicked out to Website has expired page. Pain in the butt

This post has been edited by Wampyry: 20 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

#6 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

Slightly off topic but this seems like as good a place as any. One thing I have been trying to get to grips with is what SE means by sons and daughters of gods. Is he speaking literally or figuratively? I generally assume it is figurative but some parts of the text suggest otherwise. The wording SE uses to describe Mother Darks betrayal with Father Light often sounds literal. Anyone else have an opinion?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

View PostAin, on 20 November 2009 - 08:17 AM, said:

Not too sure, but Sechul Lath spawned Oponn. So I guess it's more than likely.

True, but it's unclear whether he actually 'spawned' them in any sort of biological sense, or just prompted them to take up the aspect.

View PostMezla PigDog, on 23 November 2009 - 02:06 PM, said:

Slightly off topic but this seems like as good a place as any. One thing I have been trying to get to grips with is what SE means by sons and daughters of gods. Is he speaking literally or figuratively?...

The answer, imnsho, is 'both'.

It can happen any number of ways and there is no hard and fast rule.

And just to complicate things, Gods' genders can be flexible. One can see how worshippers would like the symbology of Beru and Nerruse being male and females, even if they are actually both female. Drek is all over the place, by other example.

Unless of course Beru isn't the other daughter. By example, Mowri seems to reflect in MT Mael's adoption of the various refugees who are evac'd to the islands.

- Abyss, has no daughters he's aware of.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   Leigh1992 

• Recruit

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:21 PM

View PostWampyry, on 20 November 2009 - 04:05 AM, said:

On page 527 DOD the Errant, Knuckles and Kilmandaros are awaiting the arrival of other gods summoned by the Errant. Olar Ethil and Mael join the three others. On page 528, Olar Ethil turns to Mael and says, "Your daughters run wild." Mael shrugged and replied, "Daughters will do that. Rather, they should do that. I would be disappointed otherwise - it's a poor father who does not nudge and then cut loose."

I know my memory is terrible, but I have no recollection of Mael's daughters being mentioned prior to this conversation. Will someone please explain to me what I missed - if anything. Txs

Beru and nerruse are both mentioned in referenCe as being the daughters of mael in dod and in ice's return of the crimson guard beru is definately said to be mael's daughter and lady of storms even though she is worshipped to give fair seas which is actually meant to be nerruse

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

Wanted to actually bring this back up because as we know Beru seems to be a bit gender-confused, and in RotCG there's a few mentions of Chem, another sea-related god. Anyone recall anything about Chem?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

View PostD, on 21 March 2010 - 08:05 PM, said:

Wanted to actually bring this back up because as we know Beru seems to be a bit gender-confused, and in RotCG there's a few mentions of Chem, another sea-related god. Anyone recall anything about Chem?

Isn't Chem some sort of local deity in and around Malaz City?
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#11 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:47 PM

For some reason I'm thinking that chem is another name for mael
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#12 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:42 AM

'The Elder God of the Seas', said Bottle, 'was ever a thirsty god. And his daughter isn't much better.'
'Beru?'
'Who else? The Lady of Fair Seas is an ironic title. It pays,' he added, eyeing the dragon Tile, 'not to take things so literally'

DoD, UK HC, p. 226

Some things to note:
- Bottle asks "who else" as though there wasn't any other daughter of Mael but Beru. On the other hand QB asks about as though there was. I might be overanalyzing here :lol:
- I thought Beru was associated with storms, not with fair seas.
- What's up with people bringing up Mael's daughters in the books anyway? Is it that the seas get stormy (because of the ice melt)?
- What does this allusion to the dragon Tile mean?!!?!?!?

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:41 AM

Probably means Beru is a Sea Dragon. You heard it here first.

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:08 AM

View PostJorram, on 22 March 2010 - 06:42 AM, said:

'The Elder God of the Seas', said Bottle, 'was ever a thirsty god. And his daughter isn't much better.'
'Beru?'
'Who else? The Lady of Fair Seas is an ironic title. It pays,' he added, eyeing the dragon Tile, 'not to take things so literally'

DoD, UK HC, p. 226

- I thought Beru was associated with storms, not with fair seas.

Hence the irony! You just quoted Bottle explaining that very thing. :lol:

Also, I think "Who else?" could mean the daughter known for storms, as opposed to the daughter who isn't. Not an assertion that only one daughter exists. More like "Of course I mean Beru."

But referring to Beru by that specific nickname does kinda complicate who Nerruse is. I would suggest that they are different avatars of the same being, but it's Elder Gods in DoD who bring them up as "daughters" plural, right? But since they're in such direct opposition of purpose, they could function like Oponn. But Soliel and Poliel didn't seem to work so directly in concert, so who knows?

This post has been edited by worrywort: 22 March 2010 - 08:12 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

I agree with most that you said, except by "associated with storms" i meant i thought it was Beru, Lord/Lady of storms, not Beru, Lady of the Fair Seas. Hence.. no irony :lol:

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

Ah, if you were addressing the nickname/title specifically then we are on the same page. It's confusing. I suppose SE left himself a lot of leeway by including so many characters from so many regions, so that it could always be the character who is mistaken. Real sneaky.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users