Malazan Empire: Submit your question for a new Steven Erikson interview - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Submit your question for a new Steven Erikson interview

#1 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:34 AM

Hey folks,

It's been a while since my last Q&A with SE, and he was kind enough to accept my invitation to chat. So as always, I welcome fans' questions. But for fuck's sake, nothing that will get a RAFO (read and find out) answer. Every time I do this, I get loads and loads of dumbass questions everyone knows Erikson will never answer. So please, nothing that would get us a RAFO answer. It won't even be considered. . .

As was the case in previous interviews, the most interesting questions will be selected to be part of the Q&A. ;)

Cheers,

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#2 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

Considering the anthropological basis for your work and the manner in which you mange to weave a story without resorting to the tired tropes of Judeo-Christian mythology, and accounting for the refusal to make subtextual judgments about morality per se, who has the biggest cock in the books?
I AM A TWAT

#3 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

Can I go with a much more elaborate and lengthy question than usual? It's a rather delicate matter and I don't want to be misunderstood.

I'll try:

- There has been quite an heated, ungenerous debate on forums about a presumed lack of editing and care for consistency on your part. We already know your stance, as a writer caught in the process of writing, about the push to drive the story forward to its ultimate destination while fighting and struggling against the tangle of details threatening to take you down. But once the thing will be wrapped up and finished it would make sense, maybe, to step out and take it as a whole to straighten those missteps and inconsistencies that have slipped through and that were kind of unavoidable with such an impossibly broad scope and ambitious series. For example the latest HC 10 Anniversary Edition of GotM has the 1st version of the text with even the simplest errors and inconsistencies still there (example: Dujek being called High Mage instead of High Fist pag.50, or the wrong warren name used by Quick Ben pag.98), but there are also more complicated matters, intricacies and various aspects that could be improved in GotM and other books. Most of these little mistakes, timeline problems and whatnot are concerns of overly dedicated fans who love to track the details and explore the text in every direction, so I'd like to ask if you have ever considered and are vaguely interested in ever doing this kind of laundry/polishing work that obviously couldn't be done in the first pass without succumbing to the text, but that opens now as a viable opportunity (at least from your own position as a writer, not considering the publisher's demand) to thoroughly content Everyone, really.

I'd really as to pass to Erikson the question in its unabridged form and let him choose whether to answer it or not. If he can write a 400k words book he'll have excuse me if my question is longer than usual...

This post has been edited by Abalieno: 09 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#4 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:42 PM

Have you ever altered or developed your series story due to fans feedback / book reaction from what you had already planned for future novels and if so is there any stand out moment that springs to mind?

and/or

Has yours and ICE's vision of the Malazan world and where your aiming to end up with the series changed at all over the years you have been writing.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

Here's three:

I'm wondering about your sense of timing the 'mood' of a scene in the course of a book. Do you start writing a scene with the intent to make it comedy because you feel it's the right time for a laugh (by example, following on a particularly grim series of events you decide it's time to lighten the tone), or does it evolve as you wright out the scene (the plot calls for two characters to decide on a course of action and in writing the dialogue you decide it works best as a funny scene), or another way?

Anything at all you're willing to say about the Rake and/or Toblakai trilogies? Anything? Anything at all? Even if it's completely false and misleading and years from now we all look back and groan at how completely you played us (again ;) )?

My love for the Malazan books has no limits, but I really enjoyed The Devil Delivered and was wondering whether you have plans to write another futurist/sf book at some point?

- Abyss, in question.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

Not sure if anyone has ever asked Erikson this before...

The world that you and ICE have created has more depth (in the amount of characters and places and their development) by far than any fantasy series I've ever read. I've read that this is due to the fact that you created the world and characters many years ago as a game. But I think its improbable that you created everyone before you started writing the books. Can you tell us which characters were from the original world you created, and which were created specifically for the books? Doesn't have to be a list, but maybe just a couple examples of characters that you thought needed to be added to make the story work better.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#7 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

Here´s mine, pls, if chosen, can anyone rewrite it into english from my czecho-english babbling? ;)

I have to admit that your anthropologist insight gives MBoF mark of unique feeling, which rarely some other author reach.
We have seen fall of White Face clan as society devouring itself (let´s put Draconus aside). You showed us Edurs and Teblors who went into ignorant primitivism, Seven Cities fragmentarised for ever, Seguleh turned into strictly isolated group chained by strict code of laws, even Malazan Empire looks to be at peak before shattering (parallel to Roman Empire?). Do you think that every nation or civilization awaits same destiny?
And thank you for Hetan/ Toolan storyline in DoD. Although I had to put book away for a day and got really bad mood, this are moments why are your books so excellent.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#8 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

All of your novels have several themes which are present throughout the length of the book - referrenced by the narration and characters, or simply made evident through the plot itself. These often set the tone of the book and add a lot to atmosphere - thoughts on the cyclical nature of civilisations while the characters are in the ruins of Raraku, Nimanders musings on the nature of leadership leading up to the finale of Toll the Hounds etc. Do you choose these themes before you start writing, or do they simply develop as you write? Do any of the themes have special meaning for you (other than the obvious links to anthropology and archeology)? And what would you say is the overarching theme of the series as a whole?
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#9 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:41 PM

View PostCougar, on 09 November 2009 - 02:20 PM, said:

Considering the anthropological basis for your work and the manner in which you mange to weave a story without resorting to the tired tropes of Judeo-Christian mythology, and accounting for the refusal to make subtextual judgments about morality per se, who has the biggest cock in the books?

Dude. We know it's Ubula Pung.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#10 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

View Postwolf_2099, on 09 November 2009 - 07:41 PM, said:

View PostCougar, on 09 November 2009 - 02:20 PM, said:

Dude. We know it's Ubula Pung.

he calls it the "Horse" for Hood's sake
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#11 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:22 AM

A bunch of short ones on geography for me. I don't think any of these are likely to be RAFO answers, but I suppose anything is possible.

1. Jacuruku - East or West of Korel? (there seems to be some contradictions in different books)
2. Where is Quaint in the wider world?
3. Where is the Wrecker's Coast (where Mappo and Gruntle go in TtH) in the wider world?
4. The malaziworld is physically similar to our own. Did/do you make an effort to justify the climates of different areas of your world according to our own standards?

This post has been edited by D'rek: 12 November 2009 - 04:42 AM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#12 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:01 AM

View PostUlrik, on 09 November 2009 - 07:05 PM, said:

Here´s mine, pls, if chosen, can anyone rewrite it into english from my czecho-english babbling? :killingme:

I have to admit that your anthropologist insight gives MBoF mark of unique feeling, which rarely some other author reach.
We have seen fall of White Face clan as society devouring itself (let´s put Draconus aside). You showed us Edurs and Teblors who went into ignorant primitivism, Seven Cities fragmentarised for ever, Seguleh turned into strictly isolated group chained by strict code of laws, even Malazan Empire looks to be at peak before shattering (parallel to Roman Empire?). Do you think that every nation or civilization awaits same destiny?
And thank you for Hetan/ Toolan storyline in DoD. Although I had to put book away for a day and got really bad mood, this are moments why are your books so excellent.

Here you go:

I have to admit that your background as an anthropologist gives the MBotF a unique feel, which most other authors can rarely attain.
Over the course of the story, you have shown the White Face Clan devouring itself as a society (putting Draconus aside), the Tiste Edur and the Teblor stuck in ignorant, primitive states, Seven Cities fragmented and divided forever, the Seguleh turned into a strictly governed, isolated society, bound up in laws, and even the Malazan Empire, seeming to be at its peak, about to shatter and fall (a parallel to the Roman Empire?). Do you think that every nation or civilisation is doomed to a similar fate?*
And thank you for the Hetan/Tool storyline in Dust of Dreams. Although I had to put the book away for a day, and got in a really bad mood, this was a moment that represented the reason your books are so excellent.

*one could also mention the Letherii, bound as they are to the corruption and self-destructive, immoral obsession with money, and the Awl, deluded by their leaders, lost and ultimately destroyed in their entirety, and the various cultures consumed by both the Letherii and Malazan empires, if one was so inclined. That wasn't included in Ulrik's original question, though, so I've left them out. ;)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#13 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:06 AM

Slightly broader question. Steve, after the massive Lord of the Rings films, do you look at the growing mainstream success of authors like George RR Martin and Neil Gaiman, following in the impressive footsteps of Terry Pratchett, and take comfort that genre fiction is starting to become more accepted as a whole by society? Do you think the perceived social stigma attached to it can ever be overturned so that authors such as yourself are compared on a level playing-field to those who write in other more widely "respected" genres? And, I suppose, do you actually care? 

This post has been edited by caladanbrood: 10 November 2009 - 07:38 AM

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#14 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:58 AM

View PostSilencer, on 10 November 2009 - 05:01 AM, said:

Here you go:

*one could also mention the Letherii, bound as they are to the corruption and self-destructive, immoral obsession with money, and the Awl, deluded by their leaders, lost and ultimately destroyed in their entirety, and the various cultures consumed by both the Letherii and Malazan empires, if one was so inclined. That wasn't included in Ulrik's original question, though, so I've left them out. :killingme:

Thank you, Great One! :killingme: Damn, when I see the "translation", I began to wonder how you guys are able to read my posts...;)

For Letherii and Awl, well, I though about them, but, well, there was enough examples and almost every state or civilisation in MBoF crashes (even without clashes), so... ;))

Thanks again
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#15 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:47 AM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 10 November 2009 - 07:06 AM, said:

Slightly broader question. Steve, after the massive Lord of the Rings films, do you look at the growing mainstream success of authors like George RR Martin and Neil Gaiman, following in the impressive footsteps of Terry Pratchett, and take comfort that genre fiction is starting to become more accepted as a whole by society? Do you think the perceived social stigma attached to it can ever be overturned so that authors such as yourself are compared on a level playing-field to those who write in other more widely "respected" genres? And, I suppose, do you actually care?

I'm reading this as "will people ever stop mocking me for being a fantasy nerd?".

You can bet your arse that you already know what the answer to the last sentence is!
I AM A TWAT

#16 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:42 PM

I have another (but if only one can be made give priority to the first):

- While reading the three novellas I thought that the writing was especially brilliant and truly inspired, compared to the longer novels. So I'd like if you elaborated a bit on the difference of approach you have to this shorter form. You write these between or along longer books? And from your own point of view what is that makes them so different in flavor?

Oh, and the naughty question. I have many of these.

- What the hell happened (Bridgeburner-side) at Pale? What was Hairlock looking for? What was Shadowthrone's original plan and intent with Sorry? Why send her over to the other continent if the target was Laseen? Why even drawing Laseen and Lorn's attention in Ikto Kan instead of keeping a low profile? If Shadowthrone wanted Dujek on his side, why the belligerent approach? If Laseen's original plan was to support Dujek and the Bridgeburners, and if this loyalty was proven, why she didn't try to protect them better? Why not simply sending soldiers away from Pale instead of burying them alive in the tunnels or even worse standing around doing nothing while they get slaughtered in range-based combat with Rake?

IMPORTANT QUESTION: do you think the text is consistent enough to provide answers if looking hard enough, or there is a certain amount of inconsistent misdirection that slipped through, changing of plans between books, that is plaguing our attempts to decrypt things?

This post has been edited by Abalieno: 10 November 2009 - 03:48 PM

#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#17 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:48 PM

View PostCougar, on 10 November 2009 - 09:47 AM, said:

You can bet your arse that you already know what the answer to the last sentence is!

That's why I put it in Posted Image
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#18 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

If Kruppe, Pust, Tehol, Bugg, Shadowthrone and Karsa were all playing poker, who would win? Who'd walk away with the pot? And how long would it take before Karsa destroyed the table, the cards and possibly the players?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

View PostAbalieno, on 10 November 2009 - 03:42 PM, said:

IMPORTANT QUESTION: do you think the text is consistent enough to provide answers if looking hard enough, or there is a certain amount of inconsistent misdirection that slipped through, changing of plans between books, that is plaguing my attempts to decrypt things?

Fixed.

- Abyss, isn't exactly plagued or even mildly infected.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 November 2009 - 07:43 PM, said:

Fixed.

I think that's a great way to remind him gently that he's at least coming off as a troll, and such behavior isn't usually rewarded. Nice job.

I know there was a list of questions ready to go for the last appearance he made at a convention a couple months ago. Erikson unfortunately wasn't able to answer them at that time. Can anyone dig that back up and see if any of the questions are worth porting over to here?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users