Malazan Empire: Submit your question for a new Steven Erikson interview - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Submit your question for a new Steven Erikson interview

#21 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

View Postamphibian, on 10 November 2009 - 08:34 PM, said:

I think that's a great way to remind him gently that he's at least coming off as a troll, and such behavior isn't usually rewarded. Nice job.

Troll?

That's what 90% of people I talk both online and offline that read Erikson Want To Know But Are Afraid To Ask. It isn't a question mouth-filled with praises and brow-stroking haughtiness, but at the very least it is sincere.

Of course the point of asking it is not to make him admitting some mistakes, but give in to a little more humble details about where those mistakes are. I'd like TO KNOW. Especially to know answers to questions that haven't been asked hundreds of times before already.
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:09 PM

View PostAbalieno, on 10 November 2009 - 08:52 PM, said:

...That's what 90% of people I talk both online and offline that read Erikson Want To Know But Are Afraid To Ask. ...

Since 90% of forumites don't seem to agree with you, you must be blessed with a massive circle of fellow disgruntled SE fans to converse with.

Of course the point of asking it is not to make him admitting some mistakes, but give in to a little more humble details about where those mistakes are. I'd like TO KNOW. Especially to know answers to questions that haven't been asked hundreds of times before already.

I read this as: 'I'm not trying to get the author to admit to his mistakes. I'm just trying to get him to admit to his mistakes.' .
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Pat does a great interview and I trust his judgment in what Qs to put to an author, but speaking for no one but myself, i can't say i'm interested in seeing your questions put to SE.

- Abyss, with apologies for the derail.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:09 PM

[quote name='Abalieno' date='10 November 2009 - 04:52 PM' timestamp='1257886354' post='699896']
[quote name='amphibian' date='10 November 2009 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1257885251' post='699893']

<snip>

Of course [u]the point of asking it is not to make him admitting some mistakes[/u], but [u]give in to a little more humble details about where those mistakes are[/u]. I'd like TO KNOW. Especially to know answers to questions that haven't been asked hundreds of times before already.
[/quote]

The point is you are assuming mistakes in the narrative because you aren't getting spoon fed the answers, and that is annoying. Then, you assume no one else has ever asked those questions. Get over yourself.

Edit: Abyss = Copy cat. ;)

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 10 November 2009 - 09:11 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#24 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 November 2009 - 09:09 PM, said:

I read this as: 'I'm not trying to get the author to admit to his mistakes. I'm just trying to get him to admit to his mistakes.' .
Correct me if i'm wrong.

I don't want to turn a thread where questions are simply asked into another polemics, but I'll clarify:

Erikson already admitted that not everything came out straight (lastly in the forewords to 10th anniversary edition of GotM). And you can read most blog reviews of Dust of Dreams and Toll the Hounds and find complaints about timeline problems and lack of consistency. I also truly believe that with a series of this scope and ambitious errors are unavoidable and HUMAN. So do not think that those presumed mistakes are actually an argument to use against Erikson.

I do not want Erikson to take a pride hit, I simply would like to explore some controversial plot points to know where some errors happened. I'd like to see some details discussed because I am curious about those plot details and I'd like to know what exactly happened.

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 10 November 2009 - 09:09 PM, said:

The point is you are assuming mistakes in the narrative because you aren't getting spoon fed the answers, and that is annoying. Then, you assume no one else has ever asked those questions. Get over yourself.

That is why the question was formulated in the way it was formulated. I put forward some precise questions, and I'd like to hear from him if he feels that there are some mistakes precisely about those points or if he thinks that the answers are Out There and that the books have been consistent in regard to those specific aspects.
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#25 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:03 AM

I shall provide you an answer to your question, from the author's own words, to settle this matter and let the thread get back on track.

In my mind I always separate out Gardens of the Moon from the rest of the novels in the series. I pretty much started full-time writing with Deadhouse Gates, and it is with this novel (the second in the series) that I can see the sharpening of focus, the crystallization of intent, that has continued to this very day.

Gardens had other demands pressing upon it. As I read it now I can see precisely what I was seeking to do and if I try to imagine how I’d do it now, well, I draw a blank. So maybe in that sense I haven’t improved at all! Or rather, I’ve not yet discovered that quintessential secret that would deliver that novel to the largest audience possible.

We all have our limits, I suppose. I have read reader reviews and comments on the amazon sites and elsewhere, listing the perceived flaws in Gardens of the Moon and advising what should have been done to fix them, and to my judgement, none of those solutions would work (and I should know, since I thought about them long before they did, back when Gardens was a pile of pages and rough notes on my desk). Advice is cheap and more often than not it doesn’t hold up to close examination. In any case, I often don’t agree with the observations being made, so I’d hardly endeavour to make changes to suit them, would I? I can see stylistic tics in that first novel that I no longer use, but I have spoken about this before, and besides, I think it’s something all writers discover in themselves. They try things early in their careers and if those things prove vaguely uncomfortable they get abandoned, and the writer moves on.

Source - Interview at Fantasy Book Review

Q: For some authors that see a notable gap between their UK + US releases, they are afforded the opportunity to make some additional edits. Did you get to do this with any of the US versions of your Malazan books, and if so, could you talk about these changes?

Steven: There are always mistakes—the most egregious ones in “Gardens of the Moon” I have since corrected in the US edition. As for the rest, no. I am given opportunity to do so, but I don’t follow up. Reading my own stuff—especially years old—is a wince-fest on occasion, and always distracting, since at the time I am usually in the midst of writing the latest novel in the series.

Source - Fantasy Book Critic Interview - 2008

If that still doesn't answer your question, then I'm afraid there's nothing that will.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#26 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:15 AM

View PostAbyss, on 09 November 2009 - 05:10 PM, said:

Here's three:

I'm wondering about your sense of timing the 'mood' of a scene in the course of a book. Do you start writing a scene with the intent to make it comedy because you feel it's the right time for a laugh (by example, following on a particularly grim series of events you decide it's time to lighten the tone), or does it evolve as you wright out the scene (the plot calls for two characters to decide on a course of action and in writing the dialogue you decide it works best as a funny scene), or another way?

Not sure if this answers your question specifically, Abyss, but this (from the first interview as above), deals with humour and comic timing. I think the bold refers directly to your query, though:

Midnight Tides is, at the moment, our favourite book from the series. Although all of your work features humour, Tehol Beddict and Bugg take it to a new level, and it is often wonderfully surreal. Was this a conscious effort to inject a little more light-heartedness into the series?

A conscious effort? I don’t think so. I like to think the humour was present in every book, but I do accept that Tehol and Bugg delivered something new. But not as new as it may at first seem. Their precedents were Iskaral and Kruppe, as both characters engaged in a peculiar self-referential style of humour. Tehol and Bugg just took that one step further. The consciousness involved in their creation had more to do with offsetting the sheer gravity of the rest of Midnight Tides.

But even then, they arrived (on that rooftop) in one of those uncanny, slightly bewildering, fully spontaneous manifestations that hit writers on occasion. A bed? A blanket? All out of nowhere, completely unplanned. Once they arrived, I just sort of sat back and let them run with it.

Q: In my opinion, “Reaper’s Gale” featured both more humor and more tragedy than any other book in the series so far, and seems to be something you’ve been building toward since you first wrote “Gardens of the Moon”. Now Shakespeare has proven that tragedy & humor can go hand-in-hand, but how do you feel about the two subjects and their relationship with one another?

Steven: Tragedy can be unrelenting, but often that becomes counter-productive, especially if one is dealing with a vast series of stories. The reader needs a break, a breather – unless of course the writer decides to withhold such relief, for whatever nefarious, cruel reasons might serve. I don’t think of the two as being locked in some form of diametrical opposition. If I was to diagram all this, it’d be as three points rather than two. Tragedy is answered by humanity – a gesture of hope or redemption. Comedy relates more to issues of relief when it comes to structure, or happens to be tightly bound to a specific set of characters. It’s related to tragedy, but not in any direct way (for me at least). Sometimes laughter is the only answer to something overwhelmingly tragic – as when, for example, I stand at an intersection and watch hundreds of cars and trucks whiz past. And it dawns on me that nobody really gives a flying fuck about this planet – today’s smoking addiction isn’t cigarettes, it’s oil, and who isn’t blowing smoke in all our faces? Tragedy, comedy, haha.

And that's from the second interview linked above.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#27 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:00 AM

It is 2 am here and I have finally remembered the question I wanted to ask:

"What is the deal with Moranth armor?"
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:47 AM

We did have the opportunity a while ago to ask Steve directly about mistakes and timeline issues, in fact it was him who said to me "'Mal' tells me you have a big problem with the timeline" and I'd imagine any questions posed on timelines and mistakes will be given fairly short shrift. He did make some rudimentary efforts to reconcile the timeline prior to the release of the last 2 books, but events in those have only exacerbated the problems, so I'd just give it up as an aspect of the the book and try not to worry about it. After I got the opportunity to see first hand how little SE really cares about it then I just reaslised I was wasting my breath even discussing it cos he ain't gonna sort it out.
I AM A TWAT

#29 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:32 PM

View PostSilencer, on 11 November 2009 - 06:03 AM, said:

Steven: There are always mistakes—the most egregious ones in “Gardens of the Moon” I have since corrected in the US edition. As for the rest, no. I am given opportunity to do so, but I don’t follow up. Reading my own stuff—especially years old—is a wince-fest on occasion, and always distracting, since at the time I am usually in the midst of writing the latest novel in the series.

If that still doesn't answer your question, then I'm afraid there's nothing that will.

He says he doesn't want to do revisions because doing it can distract him from writing the book at hand.

This gives even more merit to my question since I was asking if he's interested to do that work AFTER the series is complete.
#MrSkimpole

Crack'd Pot Trail

#30 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:POOP!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

On topic -

My question would be

Who ,of all of the characters in the universe you created, ended up being different from the one you originally planned that character to be?

Also - which mule - Kruppe's or Pust's - is more like you?
THIS IS HOW I ROLL BITCHES!!!

#31 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

View PostAbalieno, on 11 November 2009 - 02:32 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 11 November 2009 - 06:03 AM, said:

He says he doesn't want to do revisions because doing it can distract him from writing the book at hand.

This gives even more merit to my question since I was asking if he's interested to do that work AFTER the series is complete.

Abalieno, you want this question answered so that it can help you with your debates on Westros and here. You have a major stake in his answer and so for you, it must be the over-riding question put to him, because you HAVE to win that debate. Correct? Even though we probably already know what the answer will be..no, SE will not perform revisions on the books.

Bent, the reason he is being hammered is because his question is so obviously self-serving.
Its a waste of a question in my view.

My question was inspired by Ulrik's question: The practice of "Hobbling", introduced in DoD, is repellant.
Is that SE's indictment of (some) tribal societies? Does it represent his view that the "Noble Savage" never existed and was a work of fiction?

#32 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:03 PM

Self-serving? Waste of a question? Peole should calm the hell down, it's not gonna hurt anyone if any question does or does not get asked.

No more of this now, please? Let's just stick to the topic ;)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#33 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

Ah, another more sensible question:

Are you ever going to revisit the early days of the Empire, during for instance the conquest of Seven Cities? And will you mention or use some of the missing High Mages the Empire used to have, particularly Tesormalandis (my favourite throwaway, one-line-mentioned name in the whole series) and Stumpy (second favourite)?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#34 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:43 PM

A very simple question:

After you finish the Malazan Book of the Fallen and the two trilogies have you in mind to write something non-Malzan themed but of the same scope?
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#35 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:07 PM

This question is probably better suited to be asked after the series has been completed, but I doubt I will remember it in a year's time so I'm going to put it down anyway.

Throughout the series it has always been obvious that you have spent a lot of time imaging and shaping your world's past, how much thought have you given to it's future. It doesn't seem likely you will write stories set thousands or even ten thousands of years after the events of the Book of the Fallen, do you have any ideas as to what the universe we have come to know and love would have become by then?

And another

Throughout the course of the series there have been many characters that have entered the narrative, played a part and then gone their own way. Many of these have been quite interesting or important, often leaving fans wondering what happened to them. Felesin Younger's story is a particularly good example of this. Do you have stories in your head for all these characters, even if you know you'll probably never mention them again for whatever reason? And do you ever miss some of these characters characters when you write? In other words, have there ever been scenes where you would have liked to include a character that has fallen by the wayside?
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#36 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:54 AM

Pat, when are you doing this interview?
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#37 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

The questions will be sent to him this weekend or early next week. But SE mentioned that he's pretty busy, so it might take a while for him to get back to me. Hopefully we can get the full interview online before the Holidays. . . :w00t:

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#38 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

Gods, the man will have question overload if he gets them this weekend. XD

Shinrei said:

#39 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

View Postblackzoid, on 11 November 2009 - 04:53 PM, said:

Bent, the reason he is being hammered is because his question is so obviously self-serving.
Its a waste of a question in my view.

If you stop to think about it for a moment, aren't ALL questions self-serving? Including this one?

@alt146
I liked your question about the future of his world in regard to the detail and obvious thought over the past. Just saying. :w00t:

My question:
How did you come up with the concept of the Snake? Sorry (to you and the readers) if the answer is potentially spoilerific, but it's something that particularly stood out to me compared with the other high drama/tragedy story threads.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 19 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users