• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bottle ? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:01 AM

Look, we all know we read about Bottle's mind leaving his body at the wyval storm, but is he truly dead ? Or a spirit ? I was wondering

Till I came across this (mind you, for this QB has to survive, but no one really doubts that, do they ?)

Hard cover Bantam Press, p 378
'I'll try. But if it's risky, you might lose me. I might lose me, which is even worse.'
Quick Ben smiled is little smile and reached into the heap of dolls.
'That's why I've tied this thread to this particular doll.'
Bottle hissed. 'You miserable shit.'
'Stop complaining. I'll pull you back if you get in trouble. That's a promis.'

so does anyone else think this mages survival rate has gone up ?
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#2 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:07 AM

I'm one for not believing anyone is dead until it's confirmed in the next book, at which point I shall probably yell "damn you!" and not for the first time.. :p
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#3 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:09 AM

It's a nice theory, the only problem being QB might have had a bit much on his plate at the time...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4 User is offline   Bliss 

• Herald

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

when i read the battle scene i didnt see him as dying, i just saw him as exhausting himself by controlling those wyvals.
I saw the sun's bolt
arc an unerring path
to the man's forehead.
As it struck, the crows
converged like night
drawing breath.

DOG CHAIN
SEGLORA

#5 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

To a mage, exhausting themselves = dying.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#6 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

The thread's title, anyone? Sorry, but you can't help but have it pop up when you're not automatically logged in [which at least in my case would hide the DoD section]. Just saying.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#7 User is offline   Bliss 

• Herald

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:20 AM

an exhausted mage is not dead, there have been many times in the series where a mage has completely spent themselves and just passed out, far more than the amount of times we've seen a mage die of exhaustion
I saw the sun's bolt
arc an unerring path
to the man's forehead.
As it struck, the crows
converged like night
drawing breath.

DOG CHAIN
SEGLORA

#8 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:35 AM

this is true, although in bottles case the magic he was using would have more likely left his body a vegetable and his mind torn to a million pieces. thats pretty exhausted
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#9 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:35 AM

Sinisdar Toste, on 19 October 2009 - 02:35 AM, said:

this is true, although in bottles case the magic he was using would have more likely left his body a vegetable and his mind torn to a million pieces. thats pretty exhausted

Not to mention that his body was in the first trench, behind the advancing Na'hruk lines. Not exactly the best place to be given the Na'hruk's eating habits.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#10 User is offline   Bliss 

• Herald

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

huh, for some reason i always pictured Fid somehow making sure bottle was ok and got dragged back as they retreated.

maybe i have a mental block about bottle's death....
I saw the sun's bolt
arc an unerring path
to the man's forehead.
As it struck, the crows
converged like night
drawing breath.

DOG CHAIN
SEGLORA

#11 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

Or is Bottle new form of DīIvers? Bunch of wyvals, ale possesed by his mind...OK, it IS stupid and crazy thery, but...:p
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#12 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:22 AM

Bliss, on 19 October 2009 - 09:27 PM, said:

huh, for some reason i always pictured Fid somehow making sure bottle was ok and got dragged back as they retreated.

maybe i have a mental block about bottle's death....

No, I remember Bottle lying under under marine and Nah'ruk bodies, watching the Nah'ruk marching past towards the second trench before doing his Vywal-hopping trick.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#13 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:49 AM

He is not dead. Not dead at all. I think in the BH it says that someone knows that Bottle is more important to the Bonehunters than QB and Kalam. That, to my mind, is still not fulfilled, unless finding Withal was what was meant. I sincerely that was it, seeing how the Eres continues to spank his monkey, and seeing how he's been laid back and Fid's shaved knuckle all the time. It was always other people who worked the miracles: the marines, Beak, QB, and loads of munitions. While SE is a master of the tragic unnecessary death, he is not one to leave plotlines like these hanging, especially not since the Bonehunters are key to the story - and one thing SE does not, so far, is cut these destinies short/ leave them unfulfilled in some way.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#14 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Tapper, on 20 October 2009 - 08:49 AM, said:

one thing SE does not, so far, is cut these destinies short/ leave them unfulfilled in some way.

Well, sometimes he does. Thats his magic. Bottle has been two mans shaved knuckles, everone dreamed about his potential and now...well, hungry nahruk and goodbye our ace in sleeve! Thats live! Keneb dies totally off his predestined role for example.
BUT - I agree, I do not think that Bottle is dead:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#15 User is offline   Hellian's Keg Lid 

• Shiksa Goddess

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:47 PM

I think at the time, Bottle was more important than anyone else because of his connection to the Eres'al - and given how TBH ended hinging on the Eres'sal's intervention, I can see that.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

Sinisdar Toste, on 19 October 2009 - 02:35 AM, said:

That's theory #1

Urizen, on 19 October 2009 - 07:35 AM, said:

Not to mention that his body was in the first trench, behind the advancing Na'hruk lines. Not exactly the best place to be given the Na'hruk's eating habits.

#2...

Bliss, on 19 October 2009 - 09:27 PM, said:

Fid or Cuttle... theory #3

Ulrik, on 19 October 2009 - 11:22 PM, said:

Or is Bottle new form of DīIvers? Bunch of wyvals, ale possesed by his mind...OK, it IS stupid and crazy thery, but...Posted Image

#4!!! (and my fave tho unlilely given how much trouble he was having with the wyval brains beyond making them attack...)

He is not dead. Not dead at all. I think in the BH it says that someone knows that Bottle is more important to the Bonehunters than QB and Kalam. ...While SE is a master of the tragic unnecessary death, he is not one to leave plotlines like these hanging, especially not since the Bonehunters are key to the story - and one thing SE does not, so far, is cut these destinies short/ leave them unfulfilled in some way.

Well, he could, but there's also Reep's 'prophecy' in RG that Bottle would 'betray them all' and that's a little difficult if he's Nahruk poo.

Ulrik, on 20 October 2009 - 09:27 AM, said:

one thing SE does not, so far, is cut these destinies short/ leave them unfulfilled in some way.

Well, sometimes he does. Thats his magic. Bottle has been two mans shaved knuckles, everone dreamed about his potential and now...well, hungry nahruk and goodbye our ace in sleeve! Thats live! Keneb dies totally off his predestined role for example.
BUT - I agree, I do not think that Bottle is dead:)

As do I.
There's many ways for him to have lived, from one of the marines dragging him along to an last second Eres'al or QB bail-out to the Wyval-possession option. I think we'll be seeing Bottle again

@Ulrik - Btw, what was 'Keneb's predestined role'?

- Abyss, predestined for pizza lunch!!!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#17 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:17 PM

I just read in tBH that Bottles grandma (who taught him stuff AND things) said that the sea would be the death of him. KCNR != sea therefore he cannot be dead.

Conversely I am firmly in the 'nah'ruk poo' camp. Why? Because someone important had to die in that onslaught, and knowing SE it was probably several someones.

#18 User is offline   Animace 

• Corporal

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

I'm of the opinion that when Bottle "Left his body" to control the Wyval, he so over extended his power that he left his body behind. "You always said dont reach too far, grandma"

Id like to think Bottle is now a disembodied spirit/energy, akin to the land spirits which he used in his magic. Still there, just not corporeal anymore.
We woke up one morning, and fell a little further down
For sure it's the valley of death, I open up my wallet
And it's full of blood

#19 User is offline   Hellian's Keg Lid 

• Shiksa Goddess

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:02 PM

Telorast and Curdle style.... Oh please, please, let him possess Roach. :(
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#20 User is offline   Tremolo 

• High Fist

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

I am thinking more along the lines of a new Talamandas. A grumpy doll controlled by Quick Ben. :-)
'We all have nukes, and we all know how to dance'

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users