• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steven Erikson - Official Site http://www.stevenerikson.com

#1 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:00 AM

We just found out about this at FantasyCon and haven't got round to posting it until now. We've added a link to our homepage if you somehow forget the address :unworthy: Check it out!

www.stevenerikson.com

#2 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

*bump*

Weird that nobody's replied to this...it's SE's official site! What do we think? I found it useful in that I found out about some of his works that I had previously been unaware of, but otherwise the design is a bit..unfortunate...8 small book cover images on one page, some of them duplicates, is a bit much I think. I imagine it might be more useful for a newcomer to the series? What do you all think?

#3 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

I found it to be a bit short on content. It doesn't even have a Bio.

#4 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:40 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 30 October 2009 - 07:09 PM, said:

*bump*

Weird that nobody's replied to this...it's SE's official site! What do we think? I found it useful in that I found out about some of his works that I had previously been unaware of, but otherwise the design is a bit..unfortunate...8 small book cover images on one page, some of them duplicates, is a bit much I think. I imagine it might be more useful for a newcomer to the series? What do you all think?

What do we get from there that we don't already get here? Well, those are some spiffy summaries of the books. And I am glad to see that he too prefers most of the UK covers over the US ones.

There's not even a biography of Erikson on the site. There's not a whole lot there that welcomes the visitor either.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

Is this a site produced by the publisher? The book info is great, and the excerpts are a really good idea, but the rest of the content simply doesn't exist, which is a shame. Normally on these sort of things you would see a fairly detailed bio (dependant on the author's wishes I suppose), links to related sites (such as this one), details on any appearances he might be making, maybe an interview archive...

I would say it looks very good, and it's nice and easy to navigate, the content it has is very good, but it seems a little incomplete.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tęde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#6 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:37 AM

Alright, I think perhaps the consensus is that it's a bit clinical and 'removed' from Erikson himself, given it's his site. There is a lot to do with his work, but that basically makes it an advertisement. Where's the stuff about him, from him, and with a bit more...'feel' to it, rather than just a static selection of his stuff.

Do we have any reason to visit his site? Not really, other than once or twice to check out his other works, perhaps. Obviously the problem here is how much SE feels comfortable revealing. I mean, we see from posts on this forum that he's currently in the US, and prior to that the news of his trip to Mongolia...but there is nothing of this sort on his site.

There aren't any links immediately available to reviews of his latest released works, if any at all, nor links to purchase his books from. There is no blurb or summary like: dd/mm/yyyy - Dust of Dreams released! The first part of the final chapter in Erikson's epic Book of the Fallen sequence is here today! etc. etc.
The problem with the above being that news items get out of date, and can make a site look dead, but it's a bit like I said - we've had two news items in addition to the book's release, which is basically his current location...but that's still news.

I think the main thing is that none of us have any real reason to visit this site. Ever. Harsh, but it's true. Nice as it is. XD

Also, the pink and white title feels out of place. Especially with the clinically straight, block nature of the 'Steven' font. I also see a news feed but am not currently sure what it offers me. The only thing I can see that I could possibly RSS from that site is the 'recent additions', and can't really see much point in that.

>.>

Alright, I think I'm done with the criticism for the moment.

<.<

*flees*

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#7 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:40 AM

The domain seems to have expired... or is that just for me and my 'net?
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#8 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

Nope, it's expired. That's, uh...not good lol.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#9 User is offline   Kater 

• Recruit

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

I've just tried it and it works again, although it doesn't have the feel of a personal website. It seems more just like a literary one.
Delighted to, bony one. I respond in this manner. It is as Cotillion believes. The rooster died of grief.

#10 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

It seems some content is up. http://www.steveneri...derrick-jensen/

There's some horrible problem with spacing, but it seems interesting.

sometimes my series feels like a ten thousand page requiem for our species, or a long, drawn-out howl verging on utter despair; as I search in desperation for moral gestures of humanity, no matter how small, no matter how momentary, in the midst of self-inflicted carnage

EDIT: After reading further I correct myself: this stuff is not interesting, it is EXTRAORDINARY.

This post has been edited by Abalieno: 08 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#11 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

Just read that and.. wow. That's some stuff to think about.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#12 User is offline   NikitaDarkstar 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

That was an interesting read. Definetly something to think about.
Sanity is nothing more than an excuse for being boring.

#13 User is offline   Sanctume 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Reading

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

Very nice read indeed!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users