Saddest Scene What's the saddest scene to you in the series? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:12 PM

"Oh my god, they killed Toc the Younger!"
"You BASTARDS!!!"

- Abyss, ...sorry, sorry, couldn't resist, kindly resume being depressed...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:52 AM

I can't believe there's only one vote for poor Trull so far. It wsn't so much Trull as those close to him.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#23 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

View PostKanubis, on 21 October 2009 - 09:52 AM, said:

I can't believe there's only one vote for poor Trull so far. It wsn't so much Trull as those close to him.

I can believe it. well, its almost impossible to draw one thing (I did it, I know)...Brukhalian, Toc, Tool, Hetan, Coltaine, Murillio, that bear-like soletaken took by Azath, Fear, Trull, Brys, Darujhistan BBīs, Awl, Barghast, Ay ordeal, Mhybe, Grey Swords... damn, its too much, I still cant stop!
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#24 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

"It shall be Caladan Brood and Anomander Rake, together one last time"

#25 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:24 PM

"I told the Rhivi on our wagon to wait inside the North Gate"
Our wagon. The wagon carrying the dead Bridgeburners.
First in. Last out... For The Last Time.

The Lord of the Andii sighed. "There is a fallen soldier to whom i would... pay my respect..."
Aye the saddest news we've yet heard this day.
"As will we all Lord"
Rake stayed at her side as she walked, the five surviving Bridgeburners falling in behind them.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#26 User is offline   naotom 

• Recruit

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

"Just remember , Henar, I don't do this for just anybody!"
"Do what?"
"Dance."

Just about the whole end of that chapter was pretty hard hitting, bottle, quick, lostara and the comments from brys.

#27 User is offline   Daser 

• First Sword

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:38 PM

Dujek`s "I have lost a friend" after Whiskeyjacks death.

Caladanbrood`s "It shall be Caladan Brood and Anomander Rake, together one last time" after Rakes death.

I am huge fan of those kind of moments after a major character dies.

#28 User is offline   Zorland 

• Corporal

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:52 PM

Oh, indeed, Duiker's comments at the end of Memories of Ice are unbelievably powerful. On one of my re-reads of MoI, I literally had to put the book down and psyche myself up for a few minutes before reading the final page. Just reading that quote a few posts backs gives me shivers. So much power in so few words. Such a writer!

Since that one is taken, I will instead bring up another moment in MoI. Unfortunately, I do not have my book with me so I will not do the passage justice, but perhaps I can do well enough to remind everyone of the scene. Toc is imprisoned by the Seer, and in the clutches of the Matron. He is given some time to stand on the ramparts of Coral (?) while being watched by a Seerdomin, who I believe becomes the Seerdomin from TtH. Seerdomin explains the story of his father's depature to Toc. How he had sailed into harbour, only to see his family overcome by madness, and had simply turned around and sailed out. Seerdomin mentioned how proud he had been of his father for that. Tragic already, but the conversation continues. As it comes time for Toc to return to the grasp of the Matron, Seerdomin offers to carry him in:

Horrible paraphrase!
Toc: Thank you. I weigh almost nothing now so I shall not be a great burden to you.
Seerdomin: That is not true.

Oy!

#29 User is offline   whiskeyjackfanboy 

• Recruit

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:56 AM

For me, first off, Itkovian was a pariah, so it was not really very sad. WhiskeyJack and Coltaine were very sad, but expected. Trull and Toc's deaths were extremely sad. The one that really got me, and I mean really got me, was Beak. I have not cried due to a book in years.

#30 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:54 PM

Its interesting like many people percieve some scenes completely differently. For me (for example) Whiskeyjacks death didnt ruined me, I took it as a hard part, surprising, strong, but... no grief. Soldierīs death. I expected Beakīs future from half of book, for me, he was "gemmelled" and since he is my top 1 with SE, I took it ... well as expected, still strong moment.

But on the other hand - Tocīs final charge and Tools late arrival depressed me. Itkovians gift to Imass moved me to tears, Toolīs death forced me to put book for day aside. 

Coltaine was dead for me from final third of book, so I was moved, I was angry as Keneb, but didnt grief, because he made Chain and Fall something...exceptional and without his death it wont be so strong. But for Pormqual, well, probably stupidest bastards ever seen...:p Worse than Korbolo Dom and that mean something :(

and after reread of Hoc, well, I pity Pearl...first time I hate him, especially after BH, but now...well...nice, non-black/white character...poor guy, always in shadow of someone else.
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#31 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

View PostUlrik, on 03 November 2009 - 06:54 PM, said:

and after reread of Hoc, well, I pity Pearl...first time I hate him, especially after BH, but now...well...nice, non-black/white character...poor guy, always in shadow of someone else.

I couldn't agree with you more there, first time around Pearl just annoyed me, especially with the whole Kalam thing, but just finished reread on HoC and he really grew on me as a character, his scenes with Lostara were really well written and i laughed imagining Pearl "walking around like a love struck puppy!" Lostaras whisper of "Pearl..." in DoD really hits home!

after rereading this earlier play and n after a while cant really remember what happens between them so luck forward to its final play... tho can remember what happens to Pearl... dunno now whether thats a happy or sad moment now

This post has been edited by champooon: 03 November 2009 - 07:41 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#32 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:55 PM

View Postchampooon, on 03 November 2009 - 07:34 PM, said:

View PostUlrik, on 03 November 2009 - 06:54 PM, said:

I couldn't agree with you more there, first time around Pearl just annoyed me, especially with the whole Kalam thing, but just finished reread on HoC and he really grew on me as a character, his scenes with Lostara were really well written and i laughed imagining Pearl "walking around like a love struck puppy!" Lostaras whisper of "Pearl..." in DoD really hits home!

after rereading this earlier play and n after a while cant really remember what happens between them so luck forward to its final play... tho can remember what happens to Pearl... dunno now whether thats a happy or sad moment now

Can't agree, sorry... if he'd just killed (or attempted to kill) Kalam, then yeah, but the fact that he chose the most agonising poison in existance to do it closes his case for me.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#33 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

Well, that was just top of his cruel ordeal. I got your opinion, first read I enjoyed Apsalarīs punishment, but...

Now I see. He was put aside in Raraku by ghosts, Kalam with QB and still, he achieved something, just remained in their shadow. After that, Topper was still regarded more, he lost Lostara and when came chace to prove himself... Laseen offer Claw to Kalam. Kalam who was always like some mythical shadow who cant be bested. Got Korbolo Dom, is legend, got almost lead of Claw. And poor Pearl, still abnormally good assassin, rest in this shadow.

I think if Pearl killed Hound of Shadow, Kalam draws Deragoth head from pocket.

so, yes, Pearl acted like fraker, but...I pity him, he never had a chance, not in this age.
- Fiddler

#34 User is offline   spothisto 

• Recruit

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

I just read the chapter where Tool died. I should have seen it coming, he just got the loyalty of his fiercest rivals in his own clan, everything seemed possible, it was just the right time to kill him, but I didn't see it coming. Coltaine, Beak, Brys, WJ and Rake dying were sad too, but Tool driving a knife to his heart to save his clan members who just recently hated him...takes the spot I think.

#35 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

the saddest part of the series to me was the change from "he(Kallor) has earned Dragnipur", to he has earned to be handled with kid gloves and should not be harmed....

and on a serious note, it had to be Duiker retelling the chain of dogs(at the end of MOI), I think he mentions corporal list and it brought it all back to me....
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#36 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:22 PM

I agree with Duiker at the end of MoI. He doesn't really tell the story and nothing about List tho. He just says "Allow me to break your hearts once more. This is the story of the Chain of Dogs and Coltaine of the Crow Clan, newly come to the Seventh Army..."
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#37 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

Since that one is taken, I will instead bring up another moment in MoI. Unfortunately, I do not have my book with me so I will not do the passage justice, but perhaps I can do well enough to remind everyone of the scene. Toc is imprisoned by the Seer, and in the clutches of the Matron. He is given some time to stand on the ramparts of Coral (?) while being watched by a Seerdomin, who I believe becomes the Seerdomin from TtH. Seerdomin explains the story of his father's depature to Toc. How he had sailed into harbour, only to see his family overcome by madness, and had simply turned around and sailed out. Seerdomin mentioned how proud he had been of his father for that. Tragic already, but the conversation continues. As it comes time for Toc to return to the grasp of the Matron, Seerdomin offers to carry him in:

Horrible paraphrase!
Toc: Thank you. I weigh almost nothing now so I shall not be a great burden to you.
Seerdomin: That is not true.

I agree. Great one , I think Seerdomin says something like "I did not say that Malazan, I did not say that..."

Powerful.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#38 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

While perhaps not THE saddest, there's a chapter opener in DoD that quotes a book written by Janath, presumably in the future, that more or less suggests that Tehol did such a good job as Emperor that naturally the people rebelled and he was overthrown. There is something really tragic in that.

Back on Coltaine's death in DG, i also found something heartwrenching about how Bent was one of the last to fall before Coltaine was crucified.

- Abyss, denies being a 'dog-person'...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#39 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

There are too many to name...How I even manage to keep on reading is beyond me...

But the whole Tool storyline in DoD....damn you, Steven Erikson, damn you,
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#40 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

View PostGrimhilde, on 19 February 2010 - 08:17 PM, said:

But the whole Tool storyline in DoD....damn you, Steven Erikson, damn you,

It kind of is a 'shame on us' thing, though. His name is Tool. We should've known he'd be used, and used poorly throughout the series, haha. Tool is such a tool.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users