• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Grubb & Sinn Spoilerific Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

Ok. I have a few posts, and lurk this forum on a daily basis but I rarely need to post as you all seem to be able to hammer out all my internal discussions without my wading in. I am on my first full re-read of the series (in no particular order) and have recently finished MoI and started into HoC. Interestingly enough I just passed over the info where Kalam buy's his longknives, ala the sword thread which is also running right now. Caveat aside and onto the real discussion.

Now Sinn has been a major player in DoD, yet I must admit that I had her all wrong from RG on. When we first meet Sinn in HoC outside the fortress where Captain Kindly is holed up she is described as a fragile Young woman. This is crucial to me because for the last three books I have had her pictured as say like an 8 year old. I seem to remember her and grub being referred to as kids and the like throughout DoD, so did I miss something? Even at the end of the book when they are Pew Pew'ing sky keeps dont people see a couple of 'kids' doing all the damage?

I look to you forum regulars for some quick resolution!

PS The first description of Sinn we get is on page 418 'The woman approaching was young, slight and pallid.'

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

It is something of a puzzle and it's been brought up before. Some have chalked it down to a HoC'ism or something.

More likely there are two factors that need to be taken into account. One, the Sinn we see in BH is a more fragile and simple minded creature. I don't know how much description we get of her prior to Yghatan going up in flames, but the whole thing may have scared her mentally. The more significant factor is the idea that she, like Grub, was made by the cataclysm. She was reshaped and made into a different creature.

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

14-16, perhaps.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:12 PM

View PostPowder, on 26 September 2009 - 05:36 PM, said:

she is described as a fragile Young woman. This is crucial to me because for the last three books I have had her pictured as say like an 8 year old. I seem to remember her and grub being referred to as kids and the like throughout DoD, so did I miss something? Even at the end of the book when they are Pew Pew'ing sky keeps dont people see a couple of 'kids' doing all the damage?

I look to you forum regulars for some quick resolution!

PS The first description of Sinn we get is on page 418 'The woman approaching was young, slight and pallid.'

If she is a young woman, she cannot be as young as eight - therefore as Illy says, anything between 14 and 18. Grub is of course, younger.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#5 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

I dont know if 14-16 works. When they scamper off into the azath are they not referred to as the 2 little runts or something of the like? I'm going to keep reading in HoC over the next couple days. Heres a thought though, she says shes going to blow a hole into the keep to her renegade commander, yet she tells Kalam that it is going to be an illusion. Could she perhaps be casting a glamour of some type on herself to make her appear older? Kalam does say something along the lines of 'very young' when he describes her actions. One thing she does constantly is 'wrap herself in her arms', which coincidentally is what Felisin does when she finds out that Ganoes (and I always say his name like canoes but with a G, yet I digress) is still alive and the master of the deck. Maybe there is some correlation to their ages?

-Powder - the white...

#6 User is offline   Hellian's Keg Lid 

• Shiksa Goddess

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

Well she's a skinny, runty, deranged teenage girl... And also comparatively I could be really dull and say compared to most of the cast they encounter, short of wheeling out... Harlo... They are children and young.

Felisin was also in her teens, and the wrapping arms I'd put down to your standard... Non-restricted to any age group grief reaction?

Also, her behaviour as younger was explained in the book I thought, as a reaction to all the horror she's seen at such a young age. Which will cause her to regress....
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#7 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:04 AM

I'd say Sinn's 14-16 at the time of HoC. Also, didn't she go a bit loco when she killed her teacher at the end (Fayaral?) and that's how we meet her in BH (with her penchant for suckling on Masan Galani's... anyway).
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#8 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

the penchant for childlike behaviour doesn't appear until after the y'ghatan firestorm. the rebel siege and the murder of fayelle were just small pit-stops on the way to total traumatic fire elemental absorption and powerup
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#9 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 29 September 2009 - 03:26 PM, said:

the penchant for childlike behaviour doesn't appear until after the y'ghatan firestorm. the rebel siege and the murder of fayelle were just small pit-stops on the way to total traumatic fire elemental absorption and powerup

Its not her behavior that has had me thrown for so long, it is the way others describe her that confuses me. Physically she gets described as a child. As opposed to say a Chaur (who rules btw) who is described in a simple childlike way, yet there is no confusion as to his size. Or there is the old Rhivi who takes care of the Mhybe (Crybe) thruout MoI she is also acting in a childlike way yet there is no question as to how old she actually is.

Theory the next. Rake getting a huge powerup from Tiams blood keeps him young, Andarist says so in HoC (I can find the page if you want). Andarist ages rake does not. Killy can take any form she wants and seems to wantonly do so during DoD. Perhaps after insane fire powerup thing Sinn reverts back to the age she was tramatized and is going to stay there? Further Grub being the mortal embodyment of the Chain of Dogs ages more quickly to get to an age where he is more useful? Haveing azathmaking stone powers does not do one any good if you cannot think enough to use them, so the age gets sped up abit till he finds his sweet spot? Same thing could be said for Rudd Ellale no?

#10 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:40 AM

View PostPowder, on 29 September 2009 - 04:21 PM, said:

Its not her behavior that has had me thrown for so long, it is the way others describe her that confuses me. Physically she gets described as a child. As opposed to say a Chaur (who rules btw) who is described in a simple childlike way, yet there is no confusion as to his size. Or there is the old Rhivi who takes care of the Mhybe (Crybe) thruout MoI she is also acting in a childlike way yet there is no question as to how old she actually is.

Theory the next. Rake getting a huge powerup from Tiams blood keeps him young, Andarist says so in HoC (I can find the page if you want). Andarist ages rake does not. Killy can take any form she wants and seems to wantonly do so during DoD. Perhaps after insane fire powerup thing Sinn reverts back to the age she was tramatized and is going to stay there? Further Grub being the mortal embodyment of the Chain of Dogs ages more quickly to get to an age where he is more useful? Haveing azathmaking stone powers does not do one any good if you cannot think enough to use them, so the age gets sped up abit till he finds his sweet spot? Same thing could be said for Rudd Ellale no?

well rud elalle's fast growth is put down to having menandore for his mother. now sinn and grub could maybe be explained as ascendants or ascendants in the making which is why they have aged differently than you might expect, but sinn has been a mage for awhile and they age slower anyway. she could look 13 while going through her entire teen years.

- Oscar Levant

#11 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:31 PM

Now that I had never thought of or noticed ST. That is certainly a relevant point if it is so, do we have anything documenting that mages age slower? I thought people like QB, Tays, Kellanved, etc all had other reasons for aging slower. Like being in the deadhouse, crossing raraku, etc.

#12 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:46 PM

tattersail in gotm
she is 200+
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#13 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:48 PM

View Postberu, on 30 September 2009 - 11:46 PM, said:

tattersail in gotm
she is 200+

and ganoes is 20-30 something? at the risk of being childish and totally off topic.... EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

#14 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:52 PM

he is 20 max yes
but atleast its not put as "the epitome of true love" as sertan other "litrature" "writen texts" "ink on paper" would have put it

beru likes twilight

she is cool
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#15 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:04 AM

Don't forget Kallor's century candles. In a world of magic, alchemy is a shadow rival...

Sinn is no child, don't know what jumping Mario you got that image from. Her mage mentor Fayelle betrayed her and tried to murder her. She's late teens going by descriptions. Think Aspalar age. It wasn't until the horrifying inferno of 'Gatan that she went into mental stress. Thouigh that hasn't affected her High Magery -- melting down enormous icebergs single mindedly, heh heh.
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#16 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:49 AM

View PostExcellence, on 05 October 2009 - 11:04 AM, said:

Don't forget Kallor's century candles. In a world of magic, alchemy is a shadow rival...

Sinn is no child, don't know what jumping Mario you got that image from. Her mage mentor Fayelle betrayed her and tried to murder her. She's late teens going by descriptions. Think Aspalar age. It wasn't until the horrifying inferno of 'Gatan that she went into mental stress. Thouigh that hasn't affected her High Magery -- melting down enormous icebergs single mindedly, heh heh.

Actually as i finished up HoC I ran onto a few more descriptions of Sinn, they all refer to her as a child. Her mental instability also seems to predate YG somewhat, when you first run into her with kalam she is already 'a little bit special'. If your looking for said descriptions check out the end of HoC, shes with the remainder of the ashok regiment that gets melded into the BH. I believe she is described as the mage child Sinn or some such....

EDIT: Sorry that sounded harsh, it was supposed to convey my own intrigue...

PSPS: What about WhiskeyJack sexing a 200k year old dragon lady?

This post has been edited by Powder: 06 October 2009 - 01:52 AM

#17 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:30 AM

View PostPowder, on 06 October 2009 - 01:49 AM, said:

aw korlats not that bad, she doesn't seem to have inherited her mothers temper and most of the time she is pretty sweet tempered actually. dragon lady is just... unfair :)

or maybe thats why rake and him had so much in common, they both love the two ton booty!

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 06 October 2009 - 05:31 AM

- Oscar Levant

#18 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:01 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 06 October 2009 - 05:30 AM, said:

View PostPowder, on 06 October 2009 - 01:49 AM, said:

aw korlats not that bad, she doesn't seem to have inherited her mothers temper and most of the time she is pretty sweet tempered actually. dragon lady is just... unfair :)

or maybe thats why rake and him had so much in common, they both love the two ton booty!

Hrm at the serious risk of cross posting maybe we should start a whose sexed whom thread up to this point and see what we can draw from that...?

#19 User is offline   prq 

• The unofficial Shield Anvil of Treach, The Tiger of Summer

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

There is something on Sinn that reminds me of Aranatha. Aranatha (TtH) had a "simple mind" as well and suddenly became very wise and all knowing (it was actually Mother Dark inside her). Perhaps Sinn didn't really "reborn" on Y'Ghatan, but someone powerful is now inside her?

#20 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

i think thats the idea behind the fire elemental, instead of it being born, sinn took it into herself as a force of raw power. instead of an ascendant being within her, she is becoming an ascendant in her own right

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users