• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robert Jordan?

#41 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:23 AM

Interesting to see people's reaction to Faile changes after reading the new book... :)
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#42 User is offline   Slick Mongoose 

• Captain

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

Try 'A New Spring' first. It's a small novel. If you like it, move on to WoT. If not, you know enough.

Or not. That's 2nd only to Crossroads of Twilight in the list of worst Jordan books.

If you want a fun series then read it certainly, it is worth reading, take the pain in 6, 7, 8 & 9 and then hopefully a decent finish in the last 3. 10 is ok not on par with the first ones but better than the late middle.

I hope you meant 11. Book 10 was the worst fantasy book i've ever read.

And 6 was good. I don't know why some people like the previous books but not that one. 7 is where the downward slide starts.

Interesting to see people's reaction to Faile changes after reading the new book...

I've never minded Faile, just the tedious storyline she found herself in.
"pseudoscience and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us – then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls. The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." - Carl Sagan

#43 User is offline   MecnunK 

• 5324th Seguleh and climbing

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

View PostSlick Mongoose, on 05 October 2009 - 03:31 PM, said:

Try 'A New Spring' first. It's a small novel. If you like it, move on to WoT. If not, you know enough.

Or not. That's 2nd only to Crossroads of Twilight in the list of worst Jordan books.

If you want a fun series then read it certainly, it is worth reading, take the pain in 6, 7, 8 & 9 and then hopefully a decent finish in the last 3. 10 is ok not on par with the first ones but better than the late middle.

I hope you meant 11. Book 10 was the worst fantasy book i've ever read.

And 6 was good. I don't know why some people like the previous books but not that one. 7 is where the downward slide starts.

Interesting to see people's reaction to Faile changes after reading the new book...

I've never minded Faile, just the tedious storyline she found herself in.

yeah sorry probably meant 11, cant keep track....and the fact that Fail is a total B*****h escaped your notice :)

#44 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:55 PM

I've also never understood the Failehate. There are ample more annoying characters in the series, notably at certain points, Loial, Nynaeve and Egwene.

- Abyss, puts it down to overobsession with Perrin...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#45 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

View PostAbyss, on 05 October 2009 - 08:55 PM, said:

I've also never understood the Failehate. There are ample more annoying characters in the series, notably at certain points, Loial, Nynaeve and Egwene.

- Abyss, puts it down to overobsession with Perrin...

Agreed, although Egwene is less annoying in the later books.
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#46 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:02 AM

Nynaeve also improves remarkably in later books. I can't really ever remember Loial being annoying, mainly because after some of his tirseome bumbling Entish behaviour had carried on for a bit he'd suddenly start caving in Trolloc skulls with a massive axe, which you have to respect.

The only major character who never really grows up is Elayne. Her total lack of any kind of feeling of responsibility or culpability for the civil war and the earlier problems caused by Rahvin is really enraging by the end of Book 11. I'm surprised no-one called her on simply not being able to be Aes Sedai and Queen at the same time, as obviously her feeling of responsibility to the White Tower is greater than it is to Andor, and that has resulted in horrendous damage to the kingdom.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#47 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:06 PM

Faile is irritating, Egwene, elayne are annoying, Basically ever Aes sedai is annoying (i forget her name but
Spoiler
)
Scratch that, every female is annoying, excepting min.
But at the the absolute
ABSOLUTE top of my hate list is Cadsuane.
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#48 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:46 PM

You know an author's got you hooked if you absolutely loathe one of the characters but still keep reading.

Love or hate = good
Apathy = bad

This post has been edited by Sixty: 24 October 2009 - 05:03 PM

#49 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:09 AM

View PostMacros, on 08 October 2009 - 07:06 PM, said:

Faile is irritating, Egwene, elayne are annoying, Basically ever Aes sedai is annoying (i forget her name but
Spoiler
)
Scratch that, every female is annoying, excepting min.
But at the the absolute
ABSOLUTE top of my hate list is Cadsuane.
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#50 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

View PostTerez, on 26 September 2009 - 11:14 PM, said:

But I can understand the frustration of hard core Malazan fans, that SE's books have not proven to be as marketable as Goodkind (gives a bad impression of the masses, for sure) - apparently most people can't read them because of all the details to keep up with. In WoT, there are a lot of details to keep up with, but they're delivered in a way that makes it easier, I think - anyone can read the books and enjoy them, but not just anyone can read them and understand everything that is going on. But the people who don't understand exactly what is going on are just surprised when the truth comes out - it's not confusing to read.

This is interesting actually, if slightly necro-ing the post, but I actually found WoT easy to read only at a superficial level. Once I tried to look much deeper into it, it was a pretty hard slog, whereas with Erikson he just drops random details in so naturally I hardly noticed that's what he was doing. But that's just me.

Of course the advantage of Jordan is that he didn't decide to make half the characters deep ponderers of the nature of life the universe and everything after the first four books...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#51 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:00 AM

Right, it's a give and take to me. Yes, RJ is very easy to read on the surface, though it gets difficult for casual fans after book 6 because there are more characters to keep up with and not so much action to keep you engaged. But digging deep into RJ is purposefully a slog - he makes many issues very debatable, and the clues are scattered to the winds through the series, except on the counterintuitive ones, like "Lews Therin is not actually talking to Rand, but Rand has created the illusion of that in order to disassociate himself from Lews Therin". There's tons of evidence for that in every Rand chapter but a few, going back way before the memories, but RJ could get away with that, because he made the theory sooo counterintuitive that he can dump tons of evidence for it without being obvious. ;)

I love Erikson's philosophical rants with some characters. With other characters, it bores the hell out of me. But that's just me. I love Eriksons' breaks from cliche, but I love RJ's deceptive use of them. I feel like I miss less plot points by skimming through the dress descriptions than I do by skimming through the more boring philosophical rants of SE.

There it is.

#52 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

i have to admit that when i bought my 1st malazan book, MoI, i found it hard to get past the 1st few chapters, took me about 2 years and 4 attempts! ( bad i know but i was only about 18 and to busy going out getting drunk to give it the time it deserved) during that time i read WoT and it really helped get me out of the more simplistic fantasy book rut that i found myself in, and now MoI is probz my favourite book of all time, and i love the malazan universe!

generaly I enjoyed the wheel of time, tho ive only read RJ's 11, havent seen the 12th yet. But i do understand why everyone thinks its pretty repetative, they enemys are quite archtypical, but some of the plot lines are good, i thnk the world of dreams is a great idea, as is the whole wolf arc of the story,
sadly Trollocs are just orcs spelt differently but the fades were a kinda new idea, tho similar to the ringwraths of Lotr now i come to think about it....

just imagine if rands insanity made him more like iskaral pust? now that would make a great story....

ps eddings was one of the 1st fantasy authers i read back when i was about 12 and i loved it, reread alot of his stuff and while its incredibly simplistic still find it readable....and proberbly a good way to get younger readers into fantasy. glad i read it whilest young as rereads nowadays leave my yawning a little
that said there is no excuse for the dreamers books he wrote, they were truly awefull (i want to rip out my eyes and throw them against a wall style aweful) in my opinion
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#53 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

I have, on so very few occasions, experienced the level of hatred I have for Elayne. Egwene is also a massive bitch, Cadsuane deserves to die horribly, most of the female characters are at best mildly irritating. But Elayne is by such a margint he most disagreeable character I've come across, that my rage reading her scenes is boundless. Every sentence she doesn't die in some gruesome and horrible way, I die myself a little inside.

If there's any justice in the world, in the next book
Spoiler

#54 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

View PostThelomen Toblerone, on 03 October 2010 - 08:34 PM, said:

I have, on so very few occasions, experienced the level of hatred I have for Elayne. Egwene is also a massive bitch, Cadsuane deserves to die horribly, most of the female characters are at best mildly irritating. But Elayne is by such a margint he most disagreeable character I've come across, that my rage reading her scenes is boundless. Every sentence she doesn't die in some gruesome and horrible way, I die myself a little inside.

Spoiler

lol "i die a little " ...
if it weren't for my respect to RJ, after his death, i would be probably ranting alot about wot.
there are no good sides to wot, except for it's impact in the genre.

but ... i started reading it 16 years ago ... and some of those years since were among the most enjoyable for me as a fantasy reader.
so i keep the rants at low level since his death.

#55 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

Spoiler

Wow. She reminds you of who girl that was too good for you, doesn't she? :)

I think the most disagreeable character I've come across by a fair margin was ...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Terez: 03 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

There it is.

#56 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

Surely ranting about it is easier now since he can't possibly be offended.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#57 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

View PostTerez, on 03 October 2010 - 08:49 PM, said:

Spoiler

Wow. She reminds you of that girl that was too good for you, doesn't she? :)

I think the most disagreeable character I've come across by a fair margin was [Snip]. Her death was too easy. I only felt bad for [Snip].

Might want to spoiler that Terez...

#58 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

I thought about it, but then I figured that everyone here had read through book 4 at least.

There it is.

#59 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:20 PM

There's always going to be people who haven't and the best way to prevent a forum turning into a steadily shrinking pile of circlejerk is to be inviting to new guys, and that doesn't involve spoilers from books outside their specific forums, I'm afraid.

I'd still stick a MBOTF spoiler tag on that, but that's just me.

Also stupid stealth edits happening when I don't refresh the page.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 03 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#60 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:56 AM

View Postharoos, on 03 October 2010 - 08:44 PM, said:

there are no good sides to wot, except for it's impact in the genre.

...what?

Just because it's impacted the genre doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing. I mean, just replaced "wot" with "Twilight." Twilight has had an impact, but I don't think anyone here would say that was for the better.

I read the first seven books and about 100 pages of the eight before I gave up for the same reasons as most people.

Min might be my favorite character from the series. She's certainly the only female (at least that I can recall) that I'd rather fuck than kill.

Lan must have gotten some wonderful handjobs from Nynaeve with all the tugging she does (on second thought, maybe not).

I also liked how Rand became a bigger asshole the more power he got.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users