• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some thoughts about Quick It all started at Black Coral Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Venerus 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Sooooo another Quick Ben thread! Yippee! Okay go:

It's mentioned in DoD that QB has been different "since the walls of Black Coral" or something to that effect. Thinking back, that's the first time we see him wander though KG. He drags Paran along, who finds the experience horrifying. If you recall, KG was usable at that time (resistant to the CG's poison) because Korlat had the remaining Andii spending their mage powers to keep it clean.

Anyway, I always assumed that when QB says "KG! I can USE this!" to Paran, he means that it's clean. But now... now I think that's the moment he revealed the Magus of House Dark role. I believe he *was* the magus before, tbh, since he reaaalllly doesn't want Anomander to "investigate" him in that famous scene with Rake, Kallor, Silverfox, Brood and WJ when Rake first arrives. And Rake continues to be interested in him afterwards, which we see in that fun story that WJ tells about finding QB in Raraku.

But I digress. I believe when QB enters the purified KG and says "I can USE this" he doesn't only mean "I can use this right now" -- I think he means "I can take a role in this house and be a member of the Dark family." I know, it's a bit farfetched, but remember all those threads about "where did QB get all those RG superpowers?" and there's a laundry list of theories. I think DoD implies that the change in his "power level" or whatever started or happened in that trip through KG into Black Coral.

On to more crazy theories: the white light that hit QB at the end was FL returning. MD returns, which means FL gets to return. Although I don't think there's any way we've seen the last of QB by a long shot, the "beam of light from the heavens" didn't... really make a whole lot of sense. If it was a KCNR weapon, why not use it on everyone? Why only use it once (as far as we know?) We didn't see the whole battle, of course, maybe they did... but still... within the writing it's a unique event. Or I'm just crazy. Anyway, would FL seek out a high member of the House for any specific reason? Was he beaming QB up to have a chat? I can't help feeling that QB's "death" and his newly revealed position in the Deck should be related somehow.

Thoughts?

#2 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

possible and reasond for it might work...
and QB uses KG in GoTM to shift hairlocks spirit into the puppet
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:25 PM

The white beam could have been a Skykeep weapon that had been leveled at Ampelas Uprooted like the others, until Quick showed himself to be a major irritant with his acorn bombs.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, the 'bolt of lightening' came out of a turbulent, roiling sky above the Nahruk - I assumed it was from one of the skykeeps. It was only directed at QB because he was the only one single-handedly taking out entire legions of nahruk, in quick (haha) succession.

I like the KG theory though, there is definitely something big going on with QB. And Father Light has to make an appearance soon, hopefully as impressive as MD.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 10 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#5 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

Quick is Gallan. You heard it here first.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6 User is offline   presumingpete 

• Corporal

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:54 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 10 September 2009 - 10:41 PM, said:

Quick is Gallan. You heard it here first.

nah, he's nefaris bredd

#7 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

Who says he's not both? Plenty of space in there after all.

In fact, he's also Icarium's mother.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#8 User is offline   Venerus 

• High Fist

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:20 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 10 September 2009 - 10:55 PM, said:

Who says he's not both? Plenty of space in there after all.

In fact, he's also Icarium's mother.

That's impossible.... because *I'M* Icarium's mother.

#9 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

Incredible how quickly Illy can pervert an otherwise straightforward thread.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#10 User is offline   Veilside 

• High Fist

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

Rake's interested in QB because he's got 12 souls, not because he somehow took on the role of Magus of HHD later on. Anyway, just because he's acting as the Magus of HHD, does not mean he is the Magus of HHD, that's not how readings work.

I thought the big bolt of lightning was just a concentrated attack from all the Nahruk on the ground, like the other lightning they unleashed, but more focused.

#11 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:05 AM

I'm not opposed to a crazy theory or three, but it seems to me that by far the most logical explnation for QB's ahem, err...demise, was a mundane Nahruk weapon.

I always assumed that as a racial warren Galain was only accessible to those with Andii blood in them (or at the least Tiste blood) the fact that QB says I can use this simply illustrates the point that he, unlike a normal human can use Kurald Galain. In order to do this I thought he must have a soul in him that is at least part Andii, hardly out of the ordinary really, given what we know about the Shake etc.

Can anyone think of a non-Andii using KG?
I AM A TWAT

#12 User is offline   Veilside 

• High Fist

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

I don't recall Heuk being Andii, of course, he did have some help.

#13 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:26 AM

Heuk didn't use Kurald Galain. He used an Elder blood ritual to summon Draconus. No warrens involved.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#14 User is offline   Veilside 

• High Fist

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

Except that the Crimson Guard mages comment on Kurald Galain being unveiled.

I don't have the book to hand, but I also seem to recall him using KG before Draconus appears.

#15 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:40 AM

Well you don't have to be an Andii to recognise KG.
I AM A TWAT

#16 User is offline   Veilside 

• High Fist

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

That's true, but it still remains a fact that KG was unveiled, whether it was by Draconus (who was supposedly trapped in Dragnipur at the time) or whether it was Heuk, with help from Draconus isn't clear.

#17 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:28 AM

as i said QB uses KG in GotM
and it the spell sounds almost like denul...

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

QB using KG does not count as a human using it as we've no idea of QB's actual nature WRT souls and physiology.
I AM A TWAT

#19 User is offline   Hellian's Keg Lid 

• Shiksa Goddess

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

Not to be a buttpain, but didnt Beak use everything? Not starting a Beak/QB comparison, but there's another human who is toting it around.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#20 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

he used all of them but i think they only mean all normal warrens

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic